Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh, and lads: There’s no conspiracy. Just so happens that the team across the park from us are by far the best in our league and among the best in the world right now. Not the loveliest thing to have to endure, but true nonetheless.

I have no problem with them being the best team and winning it. Genuinely none. I'd hate it obviously but it is what it is.

The fact VAR is giving it to them on a silver platter is the galling bit, and it would irritate me just as much if it'd been as blatant for City.

There are two things at play with offside. When the ball is first touched by the passer, and where the target player is at that precise moment.
The idea now is that technology is supposed to give us a more accurate measure of those moments. Trouble is, you still need a bunch of falable humans to decide what that moment is based on a video playback and where to draw the line.
If you truly wanted tech to run this you would have boot and ball sensors working with some kind of laser tracking device. This would give you an instant decision.
Bottom line for me is, the offside rule needs to be re-examined. There needs to be a margin of error that allows for some common sense to be applied to all this tech.
Like today. How can a hand over the line be offside, when the hands are not supposed to be part of the game (FOOTball)?
Seems we have a case of one man's precision is another man's error.

If an offside cannot be determined by a still frame or super slow mo replay, then it's not clear and obvious and the onfield decision should stand.

If you need coloured lines to decide then it's not clear and obvious.

It's not bloomin rocket science.

have you not considered that the tech is probably a bit more advanced than some lad scrubbing video footage back and forth with a mouse ?

Theoretically, big gaps in time for var decisions involving the more 'globally popular teams' would lead to higher tv advertising revenues while the var decisions are being made.

If as was originally presumed that var gaps are being pushed in for advertising purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back