Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the rule was meant to stop goals scored directly from the ball hitting the hand ala Bolley and that Millwall goal agai st us which would make sense and be fair. In this instance Jesus still had a lot to do so seems really unfair. As ever it remains to be seen if this will be consistently applied to all teams. I have my doubts. If Everton had played as badly as Spuds did today against City we would have lost 6-0.

But that gets wrapped up easily by not changing the rule at all.

If it's deliberate, it's handball. If it's not, it's not handball. Simple.

Those issues weren't down to being fouls, they were down to being missed by the officials. VAR fixes that by reviewing the incident. You don't change the ruling.

It'll get changed next season

If it's deliberate, it's handball. If it's not, it's not handball.

To be fair, it’s so hard to be certain of intent. The rule change does make it easier for the refs. It’s either hit the hand or it hasn’t. Irrespective of suspected intent or position of the arm etc.

It’s evolved so much over the years, like the Sissoko one in the CL final where it wasn’t deliberate but his hand was in an “unnatural position”

I do think the rule is for the best, it’s just gutting that it’s been administered in this way already.

City lost 2 points last year because a Wolves player pretty much swatted the ball into the net under the old rule, now this under the new rule.

To be fair, it’s so hard to be certain of intent. The rule change does make it easier for the refs. It’s either hit the hand or it hasn’t. Irrespective of suspected intent or position of the arm etc.

It’s evolved so much over the years, like the Sissoko one in the CL final where it wasn’t deliberate but his hand was in an “unnatural position”

I do think the rule is for the best, it’s just gutting that it’s been administered in this way already.
Absolute bollox lad....the rule should never have been changed, surely you can see on a playback whether its deliberate or not.....why complicate matters?

I predict that rule will last one season and get thrown out next year when the premier league bosses have their annual get together .
Every team bar the rs is going to get caught out by it at least once this season.
It isn't that difficult to work out accidental handball on a video replay,footballers are not that clever.

Imagine they took that approach in a court of law? People getting banged up for murders left and right! The whole point of having a referee is that they can apply judgement and interpret situations.

Well depends if its a Liverpool player protecting his face, or its accidental, or its Kop end...

To be fair, the VAR decision makers appear to be located in some kind of secret bunker, somewhere in Stockley Park, West London. As well as for convenience, the decisions can be made from there without any pressure from the home fans. And that is a good thing!

As has been said, they are only following the new laws of the game, not making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back