Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, rather than looking backwards, we could fix the things that haven't happened yet.

I'm just pointing out that this isn't exactly a new problem.

I think that anyone with a lick of sense that doesn't have a stake in the outcome can agree that Qatar has no business hosting a World Cup on many, many levels.

I also suspect that FIFA is concerned about securing future bids if they yank this World Cup late on, given all of the investment that the bid process typically demands. My sense is that they therefore prefer to take the black eye and move on.

You're right mate you can't have an impact unless you simultaneously care about every single atrocity happening equally and put equal effort into them at the same time. LeBron is actually the problem because he doesn't fix China and is instead focused on the still massive task of trying to fix the racial discrepancies in the US. Really just a horrible person him.
Disagree here on the details while still agreeing with the sarcasm of the larger point.

LeBron should care about the China stuff because it is directly relevant to him in terms of sponsorship deals etc.. your argument would apply, however to LeBron not being vocal about boko haram or similsr as that is not necessarily lebron-adjacent. These players are in the midst of qualifying for the world cup which is being hosted by Qatar, so it is directly relevant to them.

Disagree here on the details while still agreeing with the sarcasm of the larger point.

LeBron should care about the China stuff because it is directly relevant to him in terms of sponsorship deals etc.. your argument would apply, however to LeBron not being vocal about boko haram or similsr as that is not necessarily lebron-adjacent. These players are in the midst of qualifying for the world cup which is being hosted by Qatar, so it is directly relevant to them.
I can think of a few issues that are even more directly relevant to him though.

I'm just pointing out that this isn't exactly a new problem.

I think that anyone with a lick of sense that doesn't have a stake in the outcome can agree that Qatar has no business hosting a World Cup on many, many levels.

I also suspect that FIFA is concerned about securing future bids if they yank this World Cup late on, given all of the investment that the bid process typically demands. My sense is that they therefore prefer to take the black eye and move on.
Yeah, totally agree on all these points.

That he profits off of slave labor is not less relevant than anything else to him.
This is fwiw a very indirect line. LeBron can decide not to have Nike sponsorships but ultimately Nike is still going to make things in China.

Look ultimately when you're playing whataboutism with injustice you're siding with those perpetuating the injustice. Yes what happens in China is bad but when someone says we should treat black people in the US better and your response is "what about China?" and if someone says we should end the abuses in China and your response is "what about the Palestinians?" and so on and so forth all you're doing is easing the burden on those who do those horrible things.

Not sure why the USMNT thread got locked but they're about to take on Jamaica in Austria. Pulisic starts for the first time since 2019 and Yunus Musah also gets a game after telling England to do one.

0-0 written all over it.

Northern Ireland 1-0 down in Italy, Poland 1-0 down in Hungary and Germany 2-0 up against Iceland, the other 3 non England games are goalless

A country whose kit provider is Nike; a brand that has a special reputation of using slave "sweatshops" in the developing world to produce their goods, and not to mention, they have benefitted off the whole Uyghur labor in China. You really couldn't make all this up.

Qatar are rather an easy target, especially seeing it's the first time the world cup is being held in a "Eastern" country. Hypocrisy all this.

fantastic to see Germany following Norway’s lead yesterday. Hopefully more follow suit & teams withdraw from this charade of a World Cup.

Teams putting the pressure on and refusing to play might be the only way things change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back