Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you

Phil I agree with you.

But surely refs must earn respect.

I just can't get my head around that decision.
You're right - they must. And individually they are making some woeful decisions, however I'll always advocate that this a result of the much larger problem.

The PGMOL is a closed shop - it's run by ex-referees and there's no accountability. If they continue to make glaring errors, what comes of it? How is it rectified?

There's a glib apology, and that's it most of the time. If it's terrible, the referee may be exiled to VAR or to the Championship for a few weeks, on the same pay.

It's the same with VAR, with a system that has sucked the soul out of the game by micromanaging decisions that don't need managing, with no come back.

Look, the referee can't blame anyone but himself, yet my point is that we have a situation where officiating has become grossly inconsistent and inefficient.

VAR was brought in because TV punditry was making them look like suspect with the multiple camera angles, slow-motion replays and whatnot...

... but they have made a rod for their own back with how they've implemented it. I can accept referees making mistakes in real time, however not with his farce.

Reduce what VAR looks for, let the game run for longer, and take away the micro-scrutiny: show it at full speed, with a maximum of thirty seconds to replay it.

I'll then respect their decisions much more, even if they make decisions I don't agree with or make the occasional error in terms of officiating.

Is it not a red and a fine for Haaland for swearing at the ref, based on the new rules this season that lasted about 3 games like they usually do.
gettyimages-876167140.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back