Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shame
I just don't see it mate. He had a good game last night, but that was the exception, not the norm. Every time I ask someone after the game how TC played, and the answer is almost always a variation of "did a job".
His whole game is never quite right, nor does he look to have another level to go above last night to me. Last night, tried too many through-balls that just weren't there, too many out wide to GD which were a yard too slow so GD had to wait instead of running on to it. He's not quite hard enough in the tackle, not quite in the right position.
Just a 90% player.
I'd love him to prove me wrong.

Got to disagree with Graeme, while I don't think he's a world beater he was more than a replacement for McCarthy, won plenty of ball and his distribution was intelligent and sharp and he almost scored a screamer. I like him and hope he gets plenty of encouragement from the crowd to go on and perform every week, something he didn't manage at Villa.

The speed of his distribution yesterday was brilliant, he doesnt need that touch b4 he knows his nxt move, he’s already seen it b4 it gets to his feet and we need that in there, as great as our passing is sometimes it also lets the opposition back in front of goal cos it can b so slow and some of his lay offs yesterday were first class and b4 opposition could blink, we need that in the team and remember he basically is a new player in the team where he been out most of it so prob still got another level once he settles in. i think the difference between first and 2nd half yesterday shows he’s still settling and gotta get comfortable out there

I thought he played decently well but he was a step down from McCarthy in his harassing and tackling. This isn't for lack of effort and he definitely did his job to the best of his ability, but I thought we still missed McCarthy.

I think he provides good balance on the left this season.

However, next season id like to see him alongside McCarthy. McCarthy the more defensive and Cleverley more attacking.

Not sure if Martinez is thinking of him as a long term first choice option though. Seems to me to be a good player who can be used in a few positions but i think we would need a superior player on the left next season and in the centre in 2 seasons time.

Complete confidence player and it seems to be coming back after his injury, when he's on form everything about us just looks at a higher tempo, can see that he was brought up under Ferguson in a very good United set up as he has that zip about him - maybe the best awareness in the squad at whats around him as well, the amount of one touch lay offs he does without even looking is unreal
Confidence is my major concern with Tom, glad that in general he has started well at the club as if the crowd got on his back think it would affect him more than most.

Looking forward to seeing more of those one touch layoffs - Baines, Deulofeu and Lukaku in particular have the in game smarts to anticipate and exploit them.

Confidence is my major concern with Tom, glad that in general he has started well at the club as if the crowd got on his back think it would affect him more than most.

Looking forward to seeing more of those one touch layoffs - Baines, Deulofeu and Lukaku in particular have the in game smarts to anticipate and exploit them.

Think he will link up really well with Baines down the left.

Baines needs someone in front of him who is always looking to up the tempo of the game and look for a short sharp pass. Cleverely has proven he can do that.

I think he's done very well since he came. To be honest, i think anyone who was expecting him to be awful has just never seen him play and based their opinion on Peterborough and Derby County fans who follow Ingerlund. He's always been pretty useful, if not quite out of the top drawer.

At Villa Park towards the end of last season he was infinitely better than McCarthy while effectively playing the same role.

Think it helped him that he came to a manager he knows always rated him and working with players he knows from the England set-up as well, plus the crowd seemed to get behind him from early on, for me he just has the technical ability and the movement/engine that we need to make the system Martinez is aiming for work, will be a key player for us for the next 4-5 years or more.

Looking at him makes me wonder how much his struggles at United may have been exasperated by there midfield being really static around him now

Think it helped him that he came to a manager he knows always rated him and working with players he knows from the England set-up as well, plus the crowd seemed to get behind him from early on, for me he just has the technical ability and the movement/engine that we need to make the system Martinez is aiming for work, will be a key player for us for the next 4-5 years or more.

Looking at him makes me wonder how much his struggles at United may have been exasperated by there midfield being really static around him now
Sherwood is an odd manager but one thing he does do is instill confidence in player and he likes his teams to play at a fast tempo, the difference in Tom when he took over Villa was clear.

Good point about the United midfield, he also had a very nasty ankle injury which Utd fans say it wrecked his confidence tackling for quite a while which probably lead to other confidence issues.

You can tell he's played for United because of all the moaning at the ref. Appeals for everything and then moans when we don't get things. We need more players like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back