Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all the praise here so far. And I'm convinced that, if he'd put in an identical performance yesterday and we'd lost, this thread would be full of whingeing about sideways passing, ex-Wigan players, "tiki-taka" etc.

I wonder if he'll settle in a best position for us, or if he'll always be slotted in all over the place according to the occasion. it's certainly looking like starting Barry each week will be more and more difficult to justify, though I'm not sure Cleverley can contain well enough there.

I watched him yesterday. He spent a fair bit on our side of the pitch (I was in top left hand corner) in both halves.

He protected Galloway well when he was there and he looked to work well with Coleman.

Two things stood out for me:

He always made himself available for a pass. Whoever had the ball, whether it was Galloway on the opposite side or Coleman 5 yds away he always got in a position to receive the ball first, either by getting in front of his marker or shifting into space.
The result of that was pulling players out of position allowing the front 3 to make chances.

He also has that lovely little knack of being able to nick the ball off players without diving in or going through the player.
Nick, turn into space we are on the front foot again.

And a third thing, he was always looking for the forward pass. Sometimes it went astray but I applaud the intent because when it does go right for him and it will if he carries on working hard then we will have yet another threat to add to the ever increasing firepower at our disposal.

He had a fine game yesterday. He wasn't instrumental on the ball but he gave as good an off the ball performance as I've seen from a player which is hard to define or appreciate.

I like him and he is the type of player who is there to keep the tempo high and his team mates committed.

Graham Stuart gave him man of the match after the goalscorers on the radio.

I would certainly not go that far, but after reviewing the highlights I'd say Coleman was actually our worst player, in spite of the assists, as he had 2 or 3 very shaky moments in defence which were luckily not punished.

Cleverley didn't do much wrong and was tidy and sensible all game. Especially given him being played out of position. I just think having a 6-7/10 game is all right but when almost everyone else has been excellent, then it looks worse by comparison. No doubt about it though, he's a smart signing. The issue is just finding where in the team he's going to be most effective for us.

Funny how so many are still trying to pick negatives in his game. Was always going to be a very good signing on a free. He will always put in a good shift which is what we lacked for most of last season due to carrying too many players. I think he adds some great competition for our midfield

He is certainly a grafter. Back helping out the full back and always up there supporting the attack. He has energy. Lukakus 2nd goal had Cleverly available for Ross to pass to and if he wasn't there then its very likely Lukaku would have been closed down quicker.

Better than I thought definitely, and I see him as Osmans eventual replacement but at the same time I think he's got more to offer than Osman did at that age, you can tell he's one of United's products though, he has the same air of just clicking into the team that Gibson had when he first joined and the same presence.

He had an alright game on Saturday but as others have said that's not bad considering how well we played overall. One thing I liked was how he was always over to celebrate the goals, seems to have gelled nicely into our squad and they seem to have taken to him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back