Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched him yesterday. He spent a fair bit on our side of the pitch (I was in top left hand corner) in both halves.

He protected Galloway well when he was there and he looked to work well with Coleman.

Two things stood out for me:

He always made himself available for a pass. Whoever had the ball, whether it was Galloway on the opposite side or Coleman 5 yds away he always got in a position to receive the ball first, either by getting in front of his marker or shifting into space.
The result of that was pulling players out of position allowing the front 3 to make chances.

He also has that lovely little knack of being able to nick the ball off players without diving in or going through the player.
Nick, turn into space we are on the front foot again.

And a third thing, he was always looking for the forward pass. Sometimes it went astray but I applaud the intent because when it does go right for him and it will if he carries on working hard then we will have yet another threat to add to the ever increasing firepower at our disposal.

He had a fine game yesterday. He wasn't instrumental on the ball but he gave as good an off the ball performance as I've seen from a player which is hard to define or appreciate.

I like him and he is the type of player who is there to keep the tempo high and his team mates committed.

Also noticed him doing well to cover Coleman when he ran forward when he moved to that side in the 2nd half.

Worth noting, all of the characteristics you described (making himself available for a pass, nicking the ball without diving in in), are ideal traits for a central midfielder.

Rewatching the match from the weekend now too. He's obviously very vocal too which is good to see- whenever he was off the ball he was always pointing and talking to the player in possession so he knew what options he had- was a big help for Galloway in particular.

He's a good player, whips a decent ball in, would love to see his energy and forward passing in the centre, rather than him being the reciever of said balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back