Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought the lad looked out on his feet in the last 20 mins and could have done with a subby but needs must I guess.

Yeah. Was one point where he retrieved a cleared corner, got himself in a muddle and then passed it back 30 yards out of play. Looked shattered and we had options on the bench.

Incidentally I'm still on 'Cleverley volley watch' and he had another sweet one blocked again yesterday. Looking forward to one bursting the net sometime soon.

He must have pinged about 4 so far this season only for them all to cannon into a defender.

Obviously waiting to burst the net at The Kop (when we're 3-0 down).

Fingers crossed he makes it for next week. Doubt he'd have played against D&R anyway.

It seems to be that, partly out of necessity, he hasn't been able to fully recover from any of the little niggles he's picking up, so he's getting the odd injury that means he has to go off.

I've said it before, and I still stand by it...I just don't see it with Tom. Whenever he's discussed the phrases or words "workrate / did a job / didn't do anything wrong / kept it moving / neat & tidy" always seem to crop up, from a variety of people I might be speaking with. Not exactly stellar praise. Not criticism either.

I've paid relatively close attention to him since Martinez joined us as it seemed inevitable he would be an EFC player soon enough. For me, he's a CM, not a left mid who wanders inside or whatever you might want to call him. And as a CM, he doesn't have much other than workrate and quick passing.
His tackling is nowhere near strong enough, and his accuracy is not good enough...I know he's made two very good long balls in the last few games, but his shorter (more frequent) passing is often a yard or two off which can make a huge difference...see Besic and Barry playing and receiving the ball into spaces last night allowing more fluid moves.

He can have a few good games - I think it was Palace and Norwich when he put in two noticeable performances back to back, but I've never seen him play above that level which people seem to think he will inevitably reach for us, when to me, that is his peak and the likes of last nights performance is his norm - "did a job".

I like that when he does play well (in CM) he can set a good tempo for us, and that he does play the ball quicker than most of our squad, but he is nowhere near an automatic XI spot for me, in either position.

And before his fanboys jump on my back and as I've said before, I really do hope he proves me wrong.

I've said it before, and I still stand by it...I just don't see it with Tom. Whenever he's discussed the phrases or words "workrate / did a job / didn't do anything wrong / kept it moving / neat & tidy" always seem to crop up, from a variety of people I might be speaking with. Not exactly stellar praise. Not criticism either.

I've paid relatively close attention to him since Martinez joined us as it seemed inevitable he would be an EFC player soon enough. For me, he's a CM, not a left mid who wanders inside or whatever you might want to call him. And as a CM, he doesn't have much other than workrate and quick passing.
His tackling is nowhere near strong enough, and his accuracy is not good enough...I know he's made two very good long balls in the last few games, but his shorter (more frequent) passing is often a yard or two off which can make a huge difference...see Besic and Barry playing and receiving the ball into spaces last night allowing more fluid moves.

He can have a few good games - I think it was Palace and Norwich when he put in two noticeable performances back to back, but I've never seen him play above that level which people seem to think he will inevitably reach for us, when to me, that is his peak and the likes of last nights performance is his norm - "did a job".

I like that when he does play well (in CM) he can set a good tempo for us, and that he does play the ball quicker than most of our squad, but he is nowhere near an automatic XI spot for me, in either position.

And before his fanboys jump on my back and as I've said before, I really do hope he proves me wrong.

Hear bloody hear.

Besic has shown him up in the deep lying midfield role, he's nowhere near as good as Barkley in the attacking midfield role, and he's not a left midfielder by any stretch of the imagination. His close control is so hit and miss. Ignoring the Mirallas elephant in the room on the left hand side, you could keep going with Kone, or move Del there and Lennon on the right. Any would be an improvement on Clenevilley.

Squad player at very best and a damning indictment of the 'Martinez Mates' culture at the club at the moment.

Hardly outstanding in a dismal Villa team last year, abject when he played for United, milk-curdlingly average here.

BENCH NEVILLE MK.II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back