Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much prefer him in the left midfielder role that he played last night than trying to replace McCarthy/Besic in central midfield.

Same as Ross, playing Newcastle seems to bring out his best. Kept pressure off our back line by winning the ball back - did as many tackles (7) as Barry/McCarthy/Lennon combined although he did seem to tire later in the match.

Pity neither of his two shots went in, would have been a fair reward for a good performance.

Pity neither of his two shots went in, would have been a fair reward for a good 15 minutes either side of half time performance.

Agreed.

Interesting fact - last night's assist means he equals his most in a season across his career.

Two.

lol, not going to give up easily are you Orly!

Hopefully he's been saving all his goals and assists for us ;)

I think he makes a good "utility" player. Comes in at the end of games when someone is knackered, good to rotate and all in all a good all rounder to have in the squad.

Its hard to shake off peoples opinions. He was treated harshly at Manure, playing at a time of decline in the team as a young player and being compared to and expected to reach the level of world class players ala Scholes, Keane etc. Think it will take some time for people to look at him for the player he is.

He is good enough to fight for a starting place not just a spot on our bench. Won't ever win the Ballon D'or but gives 100% for 90 minutes. Would have him playing in that left midfield role unless Niasse turns out to be a gem.

Before his injury he was starting to impress me, since he came back from it I hadn't thought much of his performances, until last night. Intelligent runs, tidy passes to link up play around the box and willing to shoot when the space opens up. Plus he works hard. Really looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Its hard to shake off peoples opinions. He was treated harshly at Manure, playing at a time of decline in the team as a young player and being compared to and expected to reach the level of world class players ala Scholes, Keane etc. Think it will take some time for people to look at him for the player he is.

He is good enough to fight for a starting place not just a spot on our bench. Won't ever win the Ballon D'or but gives 100% for 90 minutes. Would have him playing in that left midfield role unless Niasse turns out to be a gem.
Definitely feels like he's always one low key game away from being rubbish in some supporters eyes.
First half last night I started to think we may have an absolute class midfielder on our hands. Bit like Paul Bracewell in the past I think he suffers from making difficult passes look like he's just moving a simple ball on.
As for his lack of assists it's completely overrated stat. He's been involved in opening defences up regardless of whether he's the second to last touch, and finding players in space around the box with the ball arriving exactly where they want it at the right pace is crucial to players like Barkley, Lennon and Del.

Same as Ross, playing Newcastle seems to bring out his best. Kept pressure off our back line by winning the ball back - did as many tackles (7) as Barry/McCarthy/Lennon combined although he did seem to tire later in the match.

That one was boss in the first half where he sprinted after that lad for ages and tackled him right in front of their fans.

Definitely a very good player in there, just needs a good run of games, like him on the left and coming in to get involved offers us something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back