Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, and I still stand by it...I just don't see it with Tom. Whenever he's discussed the phrases or words "workrate / did a job / didn't do anything wrong / kept it moving / neat & tidy" always seem to crop up, from a variety of people I might be speaking with. Not exactly stellar praise. Not criticism either.

I've paid relatively close attention to him since Martinez joined us as it seemed inevitable he would be an EFC player soon enough. For me, he's a CM, not a left mid who wanders inside or whatever you might want to call him. And as a CM, he doesn't have much other than workrate and quick passing.
His tackling is nowhere near strong enough, and his accuracy is not good enough...I know he's made two very good long balls in the last few games, but his shorter (more frequent) passing is often a yard or two off which can make a huge difference...see Besic and Barry playing and receiving the ball into spaces last night allowing more fluid moves.

He can have a few good games - I think it was Palace and Norwich when he put in two noticeable performances back to back, but I've never seen him play above that level which people seem to think he will inevitably reach for us, when to me, that is his peak and the likes of last nights performance is his norm - "did a job".

I like that when he does play well (in CM) he can set a good tempo for us, and that he does play the ball quicker than most of our squad, but he is nowhere near an automatic XI spot for me, in either position.

And before his fanboys jump on my back and as I've said before, I really do hope he proves me wrong.

yeh, you and orly need to spend the weekend reassessing what constitutes a good team player. Don't think I have read a more complete piece of tripe.

yeh, you and orly need to spend the weekend reassessing what constitutes a good team player. Don't think I have read a more complete piece of tripe.

What an unusual place the internet is.
"Look, look, I can show this one how wrong he is!!"

Firstly, I'm more than happy for him to prove me wrong as I have said.
Why are people so desperate to prove they are all knowledgable and perfect online, and that if you disagree then you must be wrong and an idiot? I'm sure I could surf the vaults and find some utter tripe of your own.

Secondly, nothing I've said isn't true. He isn't a master at any particular skill. He is a good levels of ability of all attributes needed for a premier league player, apart from his energy levels which are excellent.
Thirdly, he has had 2 good, not outstanding, games this week against NEWCASTLE and STOKE. Both of which were piss poor opposition, if we're honest. This is pretty much Tom's maximum performance level, not his norm. Form is temporary, class (or actual level) is permanent.

I stand by what I say....he is a squad player and nothing more.

One swalllow a summer does not make

Looks back to the form he was in at the start of the season before he got crocked. Struggled for a long time after coming back which can happen to anyone. Certainly a good signing on a free.

Gah, I was just about to type almost exactly the same about him coming back from injury !

He's a very good footballer, probably not quite good enough for the very top teams in the country, but he's not far off that sort of quality.

Good performance today especially in the first half, got a feeling if the fans got behind him he would come on leaps and bounds after the hounding he took at united.

What an unusual place the internet is.
"Look, look, I can show this one how wrong he is!!"

Firstly, I'm more than happy for him to prove me wrong as I have said.
Why are people so desperate to prove they are all knowledgable and perfect online, and that if you disagree then you must be wrong and an idiot? I'm sure I could surf the vaults and find some utter tripe of your own.

Secondly, nothing I've said isn't true. He isn't a master at any particular skill. He is a good levels of ability of all attributes needed for a premier league player, apart from his energy levels which are excellent.
Thirdly, he has had 2 good, not outstanding, games this week against NEWCASTLE and STOKE. Both of which were piss poor opposition, if we're honest. This is pretty much Tom's maximum performance level, not his norm. Form is temporary, class (or actual level) is permanent.

I stand by what I say....he is a squad player and nothing more.

One swalllow a summer does not make

Good performance today especially in the first half, got a feeling if the fans got behind him he would come on leaps and bounds after the hounding he took at united.
What a top professional he really is. Remember that horrendous petition against him making the squad for the world cup? To bounce back from that and get through the deluge of negativity aimed at him is absolutely amazing. He's now getting back to the kind of excellence that he was producing at Wigan under Bob that really got him noticed in the first place.

I do support him. I support every player who plays for Everton.

I'm merely stating on an internet forum (and to mates who I go the game with) that I do not believe his is of a good enough standard to start every week for Everton.

It's not as if I have a weekly meeting with Tom to discuss the negatives I see in his game. He doesn't know what I think of him. I don't boo him or call him names. I cheer him as much as I do Ross, Baines, Rom, whoever else.
And if a player was inclined enough to check forums, newspapers, local opinion etc. to gauge his support then I would have genuine concerns about that players mental strength.

And another thing to note.....

Many blues rip the redshite for bleating on about "signing of the season" Milner, who basically has very similar attributes and workrate to Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back