Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
It counts in some stats, like the ones used by this site
http://www.transfermarkt.com/tom-cleverley/leistungsdaten/spieler/73484

but not in others like this, Opta iirc
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69956/Show/Tom-Cleverley

Personally think it valid as the goal wouldn't happen without the pen, would credit Lennon with an assist Barkley's first vs Newcastle for example although Barkley both assisting and scoring the third is probably why it isn't usually reflected in the stats!

It's not counted in official stats for the standard reason that in practice, you cannot assist yourself for a goal - but of course, you can win and then take a penalty

You claim to have taken special note of him, and you come up with this load of tosh.
Whatever you do, don't study horses or you will get skint
and there only two l,s in swallow

It's not tosh in the slightest, he's hit the nail on the head.

This forum is hilarious for going over the top about players as soon as they have something resembling a decent game.

He's clearly a good player.

However, he's not a deep centre mid playmaker nor a box to box player or a ball winner so what is his role in the centre? Also hes not a winger or a wide midfielder either so whats actually his role out wide?

I think he's basically a good all rounder who can slot in to alot of positions and perform at a 6 or 7 out of 10 level linking play.

Basically hes a good utility player.

However, he's not a deep centre mid playmaker nor a box to box player or a ball winner so what is his role in the centre? Also hes not a winger or a wide midfielder either so whats actually his role out wide?

I think he's basically a good all rounder who can slot in to alot of positions and perform at a 6 or 7 out of 10 level linking play.

He was at his best for wigan when he was played on the left with the intention of drifting into the middle. That is his best position and that is where he is playing right now.

I can also see him doing well as a full on replacement for Osman, where he can be a back up for Barkley in the 10 spot.

Why don't you think he is a wide midfielder zat? Iirc it was the role he played under Martinez at Wigan and he played on the right/left of a three man midfield for Villa under Sherwood.

This forum is hilarious for going over the top about players as soon as they have something resembling a decent game.
You and him could not a 5-foot wide nail on the head, you had it in your mind he was rubbish when he started and you flay around answering every positive comment to back up you false claims.
You and others who constantly run our players down make me vomit, well I for one will not let you.

He's not really someone you want in the team if they're facing any real pressure or adversity, but he seems to come into his own when Everton are on top.

I think Martinez should pick and choose Cleverley's appearances carefully.

Here's an article that will make your day.

Tom Cleverley continues to build his very own fan club
Daniel Moore Latest News/Comment February 7, 2016 0 Comment

In response to a recent article where we highlighted Tom Cleverley as one of Roberto Martinez’ many excellent signings, one of our readers was heavily critical of the former Manchester United midfielder. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and there will be those that never take to Cleverley because of his Manchester United history. When the majority of our readers responded to defend Cleverley, the wag who started the debate felt he had stumbled across the Tom Cleverley fan club.

After another impressive performance against Stoke City, that fan club will surely have more members. It is over two years since he last won a cap for England, but more displays like this in front of the watching national manager will help his cause and a recall before the summers European Championships is certainly a possibility.

His energy is infectious, his determination to get forward and support Everton’s forward players resulted in the Blues opening the scoring from the spot and his work rate ensured the Toffees left the Potteries with a clean sheet. Cleverley has been a huge positive in an indifferent season and if he had spent less time on the treatment table I am sure Everton would be in a far stronger position. I may well be a member of the Tom Cleverley fan club, but I am not ashamed to admit it and hope he continues to win over others with his impressive performances.

You and him could not a 5-foot wide nail on the head, you had it in your mind he was rubbish when he started and you flay around answering every positive comment to back up you false claims.
You and others who constantly run our players down make me vomit, well I for one will not let you.

What a load of tripe. You should change your username to strawman.

Why ? Because you've done the classic strawman argument. You've seen some other users criticise multiple players and then decided that ANYONE you see who critics a player is someone 'who constantly run our players down'.... even if they don't do that. Such a cliche, see it all the time on footy forums, poor form.

Please find me all the post where i constantly run our players down ? because you're going to have a hard time finding them. I call it as i see it, i don't suddenly forget about the fact he's poor/average for 80% of the matches he's played for us just because he had a couple of decent halves. That doesn't mean I'm first in line to bash our players, it means i can look at things objectively without my love of everton clouding my judgement.

Id love him to be a success, why wouldn't i want that ? its like you've got it into your head that people who critic want him to fail. Your thought process is bizarre and flawed.

Last edited:
You claim to have taken special note of him, and you come up with this load of tosh.
Whatever you do, don't study horses or you will get skint
and there only two l,s in swallow

1) please tell me what I've said is untrue?

2) picking up on a spelling mistake. Awesome bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back