Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy has played well and benefitted the team after a bad injury earlier in the season. What people on here are doing is not going over board we are standing up for a player who is being slated by clueless biffs

He's played well a couple of times, he has without question been average and sometimes poor for the majority of his time here. He even came on as a sub one match and got subbed off because he was so anonymous. He goes missing a lot and this is a criticism that has been levelled at him by the fans of every team he's played for.

He's improving but he has to start performing far more consistently for me to consider him anything other than a utility player.

Basically the upgraded Osman. Maybe not quite as good on the ball but has the ability to play long passes and gets stuck in brilliantly. Maybe not defensively disciplined enough to be a great defensive midfielder, but he knows how to put a tackle in.
Brilliant signing on a bosman and mixes quality with endeavour, like all good Everton players do.

He's a good upgrade on Osman because he actually puts some effort in and prefers doing the seen work rather than unseen work. Just don't want to see him as a Roberto Bumchum cheerleader, cemented into place for the next two years keeping Besic, Niasse, Mirrrallas etc out of the team.

Hated The Clev for years, remember him breaking through for United, used to baffle me what SAF saw in the lad, watched him a lot and he was Mr Bang Average. Over the years I kept an eye on him, but never really gave him no nevermind. Was told a while ago how much of a hard on for him Martinez had and it was only a matter of time till he signed, so started watching him for Villa.

Seeing the same player we have now, sometimes hes Mr Bang Average again, but hes got a great range of passing and his work rate is to be applauded, lot of time for hard working players and defo hard working players who can pick a pass, hit a nice deadball and pack a decent shot.

Cracking piece of business for a "free", a very able squad player who can cover a number of positions and wont often let you down.

@orly

He's played well a couple of times, he has without question been average and sometimes poor for the majority of his time here. He even came oon as a sub one match and got subbed off because he was so anonymous. He goes missing a lot and this is a criticism that has been levelled at him by the fans of every team he's played for.

He's improving but he has to start performing far more consistently for me to consider him anything other than a utility player.
Which game?

Hated The Clev for years, remember him breaking through for United, used to baffle me what SAF saw in the lad, watched him a lot and he was Mr Bang Average. Over the years I kept an eye on him, but never really gave him no nevermind. Was told a while ago how much of a hard on for him Martinez had and it was only a matter of time till he signed, so started watching him for Villa.

Seeing the same player we have now, sometimes hes Mr Bang Average again, but hes got a great range of passing and his work rate is to be applauded, lot of time for hard working players and defo hard working players who can pick a pass, hit a nice deadball and pack a decent shot.

Cracking piece of business for a "free", a very able squad player who can cover a number of positions and wont often let you down.

@orly

You need to have a few hardworking players who can pass in the team. Him and lennon plus McCarthy are hard workers. Fergie done this all the time with man u

Can't remember, definitely happened though... If you can be arsed to trawl through the results you'll be able to find it.

Must have been a match where someone got injured early on, possibly besic first injury this season ?
You mean when he replaced McCarthy at home vs Stoke?

He did go off soon after with an Achilles injury but he'd just done a great pass to assist Rom's goal iirc so hardly anonymous.
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/12/28/blues-to-assess-duo

Yes, but he isn't English, and he isn't worth 25 million either. You say you are describing what has happened on the pitch, but you aren't, you're describing a player who has scored one goal in 17 appearances as being a dangerous finisher. Such a description is actually in direct contrast to what is happening on the pitch.
Not sure why you keep quoting twenty five mill. Not sure anyone has said that. Value is to a huge extent based as I said on a player's position, so a playmaker goes for less than striker and midfielders who play deep will go for even less. But you still need quality there.
I said his finishing looks dangerous, positionally he won't get the opportunities that Ross will, but I'd guess his shots on target ratio is pretty good, and considering where and how he plays a career return of one in seven is actually pretty impressive

Yes. He adds much more and brings out more in the players around him.
The qualities you mentioned are hardly bland. In fact they're pretty essential.
They are essential, but also the bare minimum. It's like when someone calls a goalkeeper a good shot-stopper.

Kone often brings out the best in Lukaku. Should we be starting him every week too? It is the managers job to get the best of everyone, not one player.

Not sure why you keep quoting twenty five mill. Not sure anyone has said that. Value is to a huge extent based as I said on a player's position, so a playmaker goes for less than striker and midfielders who play deep will go for even less. But you still need quality there.
I said his finishing looks dangerous, positionally he won't get the opportunities that Ross will, but I'd guess his shots on target ratio is pretty good, and considering where and how he plays a career return of one in seven is actually pretty impressive

Because you said he is as valuable as any other English midfielder, which would make him very valuable indeed. I think anyone valuing him at that level is massively over rating him, and I disagree that his 26 goals in 208 appearances is impressive. I don't think he is the answer to our left midfield problems, and I think we will need a far better player if we want to progress beyond mid table.

They are essential, but also the bare minimum. It's like when someone calls a goalkeeper a good shot-stopper.

Kone often brings out the best in Lukaku. Should we be starting him every week too? It is the managers job to get the best of everyone, not one player.

Total myth that Kone brings the best out of Lukaku, this is a player that has scored 114 goals in his career, at the age of 22, Lukaku brings the best out of Lukaku.

Total myth that Kone brings the best out of Lukaku, this is a player that has scored 114 goals in his career, at the age of 22, Lukaku brings the best out of Lukaku.
He's always been a goalscorer and always will slot when given the chance, even when having a poor game, but I believe it's the other aspects of his game which people are referring to when they make this statement. eg. his build up play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back