Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are essential, but also the bare minimum. It's like when someone calls a goalkeeper a good shot-stopper.

Kone often brings out the best in Lukaku. Should we be starting him every week too? It is the managers job to get the best of everyone, not one player.
Not sure what this point is. If Rom is scoring every week because of someone being alongside him then yes we play them both.
Cleverley is making it easier for three or four around him to play their game because they normally always receive the ball in space and at the right pace and with good options around them.
But if you think these things are bare minimum then assume you'd not allow anyone without them near to the team

Because you said he is as valuable as any other English midfielder, which would make him very valuable indeed. I think anyone valuing him at that level is massively over rating him, and I disagree that his 26 goals in 208 appearances is impressive. I don't think he is the answer to our left midfield problems, and I think we will need a far better player if we want to progress beyond mid table.
The value put on players as I keep repeating is down to where they play, who you are buying off and the level of hype. And again when you start misquoting to make a point then you are usually more determined to appear right than make valid arguments. So as I actually said if he continues to grow in confidence he would be as valuable as any English midfielder and we'd be daft to sell him I can't really discuss your quotation of 25 mill.
He was considered to be a potential replacement for Scholes at one point by better judges than you or me. Not sure that's close to being true but the potential is definitely there

You and him could not a 5-foot wide nail on the head, you had it in your mind he was rubbish when he started and you flay around answering every positive comment to back up you false claims.
You and others who constantly run our players down make me vomit, well I for one will not let you.

Absolute cringe

Absolute cringe
Well ar least you know I was addressing you as well, now scurry off to find some other player you can wrongly criticise, saying that Cleverly had found his level against Carlisle portrays your absolute lack of knowledge of football.

Well ar least you know I was addressing you as well, now scurry off to find some other player you can wrongly criticise, saying that Cleverly had found his level against Carlisle portrays your absolute lack of knowledge of football.

Rightly criticise.

He went utterly missing in the biggest game of our season and was hopeless against Carlisle.

He's been good for two games and the usual 'Osman Qualifier' scales have fallen on everyone's eyes - works hard, good engine and the absolute best one 'tidy'.

This season is his most effective ever and he has three assists.

Three. A man who once played in the same team as Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie managed three assists.

He now plays in the same team as Lukaku, one of our most natural finishers ever, and he has three. The same number as Kone.

The value put on players as I keep repeating is down to where they play, who you are buying off and the level of hype. And again when you start misquoting to make a point then you are usually more determined to appear right than make valid arguments. So as I actually said if he continues to grow in confidence he would be as valuable as any English midfielder and we'd be daft to sell him I can't really discuss your quotation of 25 mill.
He was considered to be a potential replacement for Scholes at one point by better judges than you or me. Not sure that's close to being true but the potential is definitely there

Yes, and a top draw midfielder from England aged 26 would be valued at over 20 million pound, but no sane person would value Cleverley at that amount, and that's because he isn't a top draw midfielder. United were trying to sell him for about 7 million just before he went to Villa, and no top club was interested. The same would happen if we tried to sell him now, he wouldn't be going for top money, and he'd be moving to a mid table club at best. He's scored one goal in 17 games, and he isn't the answer to our left side midfield problems, we need better than Cleverley.

Not sure, don't think it was that match.. think it was earlier in the season although i could be wrong.

He was pretty poor in that match though bar the one long ball.
Only games he's not played very close to the full match are

Spurs away, starter, stretchered off due to injury

Bournmouth away, sub for McCarthy after his injury. wasn't great but it was his first game back after 2 months out.

Stoke at home as we've discussed, disagree he was poor but if even he was perhaps the fact he was struggling to stay on with an Achilles injury so wouldnhave to make yet another sub might be mitigation?

Man city at home in cup which was a few days later , subbed at half time for Osman, iirc he was still struggling with the injury.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/tom-cleverley/leistungsdaten/spieler/73484

Given how often players on the wing tend to drift in and out of games, even good ones like Deulofeu and Mirallas and even when fully match fit, think you are judging Tom a bit harshly tbh. Kev was very poor as Cleverley's replacement in the Spurs game for instance.

Only games he's not played very close to the full match are

Spurs away, starter, stretchered off due to injury

Bournmouth away, sub for McCarthy after his injury. wasn't great but it was his first game back after 2 months out.

Stoke at home as we've discussed, disagree he was poor but if even he was perhaps the fact he was struggling to stay on with an Achilles injury so wouldnhave to make yet another sub might be mitigation?

Man city at home in cup, subbed at half time for Osman, which was a few days later an he was still struggling with the injury.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/tom-cleverley/leistungsdaten/spieler/73484

Given how often players on the wing tend to drift in and out of games, even good ones like Deulofeu and Mirallas and even when fully match fit, think you are judging Tom a bit harshly tbh. Kev was very poor as Cleverley's replacement in the Spurs game for instance.

on this occasion i may have got it wrong about him being subbed for being anonymous, i did find it surprising when it happened... not because he had performed well but because its very rare a manager will sub a sub. At the time though it didn't look like he had an injury otherwise that would have registered in my head !

I maintain he has been average for the majority of his time with us, too often he has gone missing and as i've said before this has been the main criticism levelled at him by United and Villa fans. His recent performances have improved though so hopefully this trend continues.

Yes, and a top draw midfielder from England aged 26 would be valued at over 20 million pound, but no sane person would value Cleverley at that amount, and that's because he isn't a top draw midfielder. United were trying to sell him for about 7 million just before he went to Villa, and no top club was interested. The same would happen if we tried to sell him now, he wouldn't be going for top money, and he'd be moving to a mid table club at best. He's scored one goal in 17 games, and he isn't the answer to our left side midfield problems, we need better than Cleverley.

Not even we need better, we have better. We have plenty better left midfielders, we have about 5 better defensive midfielders, and LOL at him being anywhere near the number 10 role.

Bryan Oviedo is the sort of player who should be getting this level of platitudes. Sure, not world class, but played in his correct position he is effective, works hard and is genuinely bothered about the club. What's Clenevilley's best position? If it's left midfield, we'd have to leave out several MUCH better players to accommodate him.

Not sure what the point is in carrying on with this as you are just making up opinions and arguing with them. And when you're not even doing a good job at arguing with opinions you've made up yourself then you should probably have a bit of time to yourself in a darkened room.

on this occasion i may have got it wrong about him being subbed for being anonymous, i did find it surprising when it happened... not because he had performed well but because its very rare a manager will sub a sub. At the time though it didn't look like he had an injury otherwise that would have registered in my head !

I maintain he has been average for the majority of his time with us, too often he has gone missing and as i've said before this has been the main criticism levelled at him by United and Villa fans. His recent performances have improved though so hopefully this trend continues.
Fair enough mate, will be great for all if he keeps on getting the assists!

Can you not join up with orly and longers you could revive the "Three Stooges"

When so many people are misquoting, inventing reactions, quoting spurious stats and speculating about transfer values out of context then it does scream agenda. Can only guess what it is but assume it's possibly boy crushes on Mirallas. So be interested to know as an alternative what they feel his value is and who'd come in for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back