Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...hails-Evertons-sensational-Tom-Cleverley.html

'He is one of the most sensational players you are going to see in Premier League history'

roberto-martinez_2874311b.jpg

Im going to point something out here. Pienaar is on his last legs and Mirallas isnt motivated. Ive banged on for years that he has the Cottee syndrome. He would rather us lose and him score than us win and him look average. Mirrallas should have been amazing but other than a few worldies over the years and a few good derby games, he's not been as good as he should have been. And Ive heard rumours he drives a gold Rolls Royce. Do you want someone driving a gold Rolls Royce playing for us? Well do you?
I'm not advocating that either of these deserve to be starting over Cleverley atm either though. (It's the managers job to motivate and Mirallas sure was motivated 12/18 months ago). I'm merely saying, when they were/are fit, motivated & playing regularly they were/are a much better choice for LW than Cleverley is.

I think people are forgetting how good Sheedy was. He was well better than Pienaar and well better than Cleverley. Why are we wasting about 100k a week on these 2 when Sheedy is a much better option? In fact, lets go back even further, lets dig up Sagar instead of that clown Howard

I'm not advocating that either of these deserve to be starting over Cleverley atm either though. (It's the managers job to motivate and Mirallas sure was motivated 12/18 months ago). I'm merely saying, when they were/are fit, motivated & playing regularly they were/are a much better choice for LW than Cleverley is.

Well old man time has done Pienaar in and Im not sure Mirrallas has ever been that motivated. And hes one of the only players we have who is worth money and we wouldnt miss.

You could argue that Pienaar and Mirallas have been two of our best players in recent years and it's their position he has replaced. It has to start with one position being replaced with an inferior player. We wouldn't accept Rom being sold and being replaced with a lesser player, so why should we with our left wing position?
I agree that as a squad player, he can do well against the lesser teams like he has twice this week. I have said this time and time again.

However from reading this thread, it doesn't actually come across that his fans think this also, rather that he is a superbly talented footballer who we are lucky to have. Look at posts just after the Newcastle and Stoke wins....comments similar to "what a player we have here" etc.

People are forgetting just how good Pienaar was a couple of years ago, and how devastating a fit and motivated Mirallas is.
I just don't accept any position in our XI or squad being replaced with someone lesser as easily as others.
He isn't necessarily inferior though. He has different strengths and weaknesses to other players. He isn't as dangerous in the box as Mirallas but he contributes more in other ways. It's a team game and if the team is better with him in it then he isn't 'lesser'.

He's got more Key passes per game this season (1.3) than Kev (0.7) and Pienaar (0.3) combined
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/31

Only players he is behind in the metric are Ross (1.6), Rom (1.5) and Deulofeu/Baines both on 1.4

Agree he doesn't score enough - he shoots well and hard but a little toO straight at the keeper but an encouraging uptrend in his assists.

Also got much better defensive stats than either Kev or Mirallas, he is only behind Galloway, Barry, McCarthy and Oviedo in the number of tackles he makes per game - surprisingly ahead even of Besic!
Not convinced his lack of goals at moment is because he hits it too close to keeper. Although can't argue with the fact that a huge number of clean shots do get saved. What's really noticeable at the moment is how many of Ross shots go in via deflections. I'm developing a theory about how he uses inswing and Clev outswing. It's a theory that I've no evidence for yet.

Roberto Martinez believes that there is no better technical English player than Tom Cleverley, as Everton’s manager challenged the former Manchester United player to score the 10 goals a season that can make him “one of the most sensational players in Premier League history”.

Everton could supply Roy Hodgson with the biggest club contingent of his Euro 2016 squad, with Ross Barkley, John Stones, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines all in line to go to France. The re-emergence of Cleverleyand Aaron Lennon provided the watching England manager with food for thought at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday while Gareth Barry, with 53 caps, remains a reliable anchorman.

Romelu Lukaku became the first Evertonian to score 20 goals in successive seasons since Graeme Sharp 30 years ago with a penalty earned by Cleverley’s third-man dash into the area. Then Cleverley whipped in the corner from which Seamus Coleman netted his first goal of the season and Lennon sealed the win by half-time.

Even if his manager’s gushing bordered on hyperbole, Martinez believes Cleverley’s increased resilience means he has never played better. “I think he can go even further,” the Spaniard, who loaned Cleverley for Wigan, five years ago, said.

“I think you do not have a better English player. Technically, he is as good as you get. The way he executes, how he reads the game, for me he is one of the most sensational you are going to see in Premier League history.

“I wouldn’t sell him for any money in the current market. I want to see him go from strength to strength because I know there is so much more to come.”

:celebrate: I am literally holding my sides here. Say what you want about old Bobby but the players must feel 10 foot tall

Roberto Martinez believes that there is no better technical English player than Tom Cleverley, as Everton’s manager challenged the former Manchester United player to score the 10 goals a season that can make him “one of the most sensational players in Premier League history”.

Everton could supply Roy Hodgson with the biggest club contingent of his Euro 2016 squad, with Ross Barkley, John Stones, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines all in line to go to France. The re-emergence of Cleverleyand Aaron Lennon provided the watching England manager with food for thought at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday while Gareth Barry, with 53 caps, remains a reliable anchorman.

Romelu Lukaku became the first Evertonian to score 20 goals in successive seasons since Graeme Sharp 30 years ago with a penalty earned by Cleverley’s third-man dash into the area. Then Cleverley whipped in the corner from which Seamus Coleman netted his first goal of the season and Lennon sealed the win by half-time.

Even if his manager’s gushing bordered on hyperbole, Martinez believes Cleverley’s increased resilience means he has never played better. “I think he can go even further,” the Spaniard, who loaned Cleverley for Wigan, five years ago, said.

“I think you do not have a better English player. Technically, he is as good as you get. The way he executes, how he reads the game, for me he is one of the most sensational you are going to see in Premier League history.

“I wouldn’t sell him for any money in the current market. I want to see him go from strength to strength because I know there is so much more to come.”
Oh dear, I'm generally a Cleverley fan but that is a wee bit much.

I want to see him go from strength to strength because I know there is so much more to come.”

Amongst all the madness of what Bob has said, I do like this bit. I do think with the right coach or manager he could be a top player. Theoretically he has good technical qualities, he can receive a ball in tight spaces, spot a pass, got a great engine. He's just missing that 'something' to put him at the top level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back