Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not convinced his lack of goals at moment is because he hits it too close to keeper. Although can't argue with the fact that a huge number of clean shots do get saved. What's really noticeable at the moment is how many of Ross shots go in via deflections. I'm developing a theory about how he uses inswing and Clev outswing. It's a theory that I've no evidence for yet.
Sorry, the way you phrased it was more how I meant it - seems like an unusual number of his shots that look hard and true get saved.

Of course the one he did whilst played at Villa went in against us!

:celebrate: I am literally holding my sides here. Say what you want about old Bobby but the players must feel 10 foot tall

This is the thing though isn't it. At the moment he's doing a great job in that role and is clearly someone who benefits from being told how good he is. It's refreshing to see a player developing his confidence and not starting to act like the world owes him something. He also won't have a problem being rotated when we need something different. So over the top is probably the way to go here and Martinez can definitely do that.
Much rather read that than fans claiming a player is mediocre because he's not their fave.
Bit of world weariness is fine. But where's the love? Where's the joy?

. He's a decent, tidy little player, not amazing but a useful squad man. EVERY squad needs a few.

I agree with this, but I also believe that there is a need to bring in a left sided player that is more than a decent squad player, so that the decent squad player remains a decent squad player, and doesn't become our first choice for that position.

If we want to advance beyond mid table, then we need to be looking at players of a higher standard than Tom Cleverley.

Sorry, the way you phrased it was more how I meant it - seems like an unusual number of his shots that look hard and true get saved.

Of course the one he did whilst played at Villa went in against us!
Yeah it's becoming a bit strange. May be just bad luck but could easily be something in his technique that means they don't move as much in the air

Id like to see what Bob is like behind closed doors. Can he be that positive all the time or sometimes does he flip out and throw his tea at the wall and scream at his wife "Wheres me steak? I like egg and chips on a Tuesday."

I agree with this, but I also believe that there is a need to bring in a left sided player that is more than a decent squad player, so that the decent squad player remains a decent squad player, and doesn't become our first choice for that position.

If we want to advance beyond mid table, then we need to be looking at players of a higher standard than Tom Cleverley.

Havent we just done this though? That is presuming that Niasse is any good

Oh dear, I'm generally a Cleverley fan but that is a wee bit much.

Same but don't care. Cleverley of all people needs to be thoroughly rimmed by his manager after the ripping apart he's had over his career.

He does a job very tidily and effectively at the moment - but there's glimmers of absolute class in there. See: some of his long passes and volleyed shots. Maybe Martinez really could get a top class player out of him.

Havent we just done this though? That is presuming that Niasse is any good

Yes we have, and the need to improve the left hand side has been the consensus for a while now, which is why I was quite surprised to see the fanboys get so agitated when we were discussing the need to improve upon Cleverley.

Yes we have, and the need to improve the left hand side has been the consensus for a while now, which is why I was quite surprised to see the fanboys get so agitated when we were discussing the need to improve upon Cleverley.

Ah yeah, I getcha.

By the way, is that you in your profile picture? It looks like some old happy hardcore DJ

No one got agitated just pointed out he wasn't bang average as you claimed and then attempted to back up by using constant references to his value on whatever computer game you've been on.
We can always improve and if your point is that then why not make that as a very general but pretty self obvious point.
But I think again you're being disingenuous and your point really is that he's in Super Kev's place in the team and you'll never forgive him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back