Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some absolute drivel in this thread

He was sound, used the ball well and got about the pitch. Struggled after 70 minutes, but that was due to playing in a 2 which I don't think suits him, and playing a large part of the game with ten men.

It's like he has to have a 10/10 game, otherwise you get the biffs saying he's not good enough and needs to be playing in the championship.

Everyone calm down and let the lad develop and find himself under a manager who appreciates what he can bring to the team.
That's quite a big problem though, because it's the formation we play.

I'm not slating him, just saying that can't really be used as an excuse for struggling because it's going to happen in pretty much every game he plays.

A bit of patience is required, not with Davies who probably is lacking the ability to make it at this grade, but with Silva who needs the time to sift out the likes of Davies having given them a chance to see what they can do. I am confident we will not see too much of Davies in the near future.
Schnerderlin and Gomes were both out injured. Davies will revert to 4th choice as a central midfield option in the near future. Whether he is best served for his development, being 4th choice or going out on loan is debatable.

I was underwhelmed with him on Saturday, but I looked back on the stats and in truth they were outstanding. 6 tackles, 3 intercepts and a block will be up there with any central midfield player playing at the weekend. It's about 3/4 X higher than he averaged so far for Everton.

I think what it shows is that the methods of Silva are sinking in with Davies. While he didn't do much of the glamorous stuff and dominate the game, or score/make a goal and yes at times the ball was given away cheaply he did the basic things that are required from a midfield player away from home. He got himself into the right positions to influence the game defensively and make it difficult for the opposition.

He is not a finished package, but such a sharp improvement if very promising and bodes well for the lad.

He's literally 20 years old
Charro.... sanity amidst the bedlam! some of the people on this thread are to be seriously concerned about. @Bainesleftfoot comments above seemed like a cut'n'paste from the RatFink Barkley threads. I get that at the age of 20 he is not world class. His undoubted effort won't make up for a lack of ability but he is hardly doing Everton harm by making himself available for selection. The Coach picks him.....

Some absolute drivel in this thread

He was sound, used the ball well and got about the pitch. Struggled after 70 minutes, but that was due to playing in a 2 which I don't think suits him, and playing a large part of the game with ten men.

It's like he has to have a 10/10 game, otherwise you get the biffs saying he's not good enough and needs to be playing in the championship.

Everyone calm down and let the lad develop and find himself under a manager who appreciates what he can bring to the team.

This is classic of our fans mate, utter joke.

It happens to every one of our young players.....if they are not Zidame or Messi in every game, they are crap and hounded out.....then when they do leave...they then become a "rat" for leaving.

That's quite a big problem though, because it's the formation we play.

I'm not slating him, just saying that can't really be used as an excuse for struggling because it's going to happen in pretty much every game he plays.

True, I'm talking more about when we were down to 10 men though and had to go 4-4-1, I think that's when he was starting to struggle.

Think he certainly has a role in a 4-3-3, don't think he can play the deeper role like Morgan though, he's a massive miss

I was underwhelmed with him on Saturday, but I looked back on the stats and in truth they were outstanding. 6 tackles, 3 intercepts and a block will be up there with any central midfield player playing at the weekend. It's about 3/4 X higher than he averaged so far for Everton.

I think what it shows is that the methods of Silva are sinking in with Davies. While he didn't do much of the glamorous stuff and dominate the game, or score/make a goal and yes at times the ball was given away cheaply he did the basic things that are required from a midfield player away from home. He got himself into the right positions to influence the game defensively and make it difficult for the opposition.

He is not a finished package, but such a sharp improvement if very promising and bodes well for the lad.

Any info on his passing stats? I thought he used the ball every well, nice short sharp passing into the three in front of him, albeit he was careless at times.

However, I see a lot of people saying he only goes backwards and sideways with the ball.

Any info on his passing stats? I thought he used the ball every well, nice short sharp passing into the three in front of him, albeit he was careless at times.

However, I see a lot of people saying he only goes backwards and sideways with the ball.

Made over 40 passes (a big improvement but still less than the 50+ most players in that position do). 70% completion is also low. So better but work to be done.

As you know mate stats can be misleading, but overall I thought Davies had a poor game in general. However not as bad as Coleman, his first 45 mins were as bad as I’ve ever seen him play.

And herein lies the problem. Schnerderlin and Davies do this far to often in a game. I hope and pray that when Gomes gets in the team, he rediscovers some of the confidence and form he displayed at Valencia, as we need his passing ability desperately in the middle of the park.

I think maybe this is where he needs to concentrate his skillset on, he had similar figures from the Southampton game. I have always thought and said i think he would be best when he stays in that centre circle area, idon't think he has the spatial awareness to be an attacking playing. If he could just improve his postional sense a bit i think we would se him improve quite considerably imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back