Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been poor for a long time he kept constantly giving the ball away and putting us under pressure i said to my old man who really rated him to just watch him during the Bornemouth match and he totally got where i was coming from.
If that was Barkley a few seasons back the Press and Lynch Mobs would be all over him at least with Barkley you have a creative assist or odd Wonder Goal every now and again.
He just simply hasn't progressed at all from that Manchester City Match which is worrying for me he should have been sent out to grab a headline role in the lower leagues and really progress.

Send him out on loan /get rid. No room for sentiment just because he's a local lad. He's nowhere near good enough.

Made over 40 passes (a big improvement but still less than the 50+ most players in that position do). 70% completion is also low. So better but work to be done.
Reading those stats you quoted earlier, I think it's symptomatic of the academy's limitations.

Everton seem to do a fine job of producing players that are good enough to have a career in the Football League, but very few are equipped to hack it in the first team; and as much as I thought that Davies was going to be something special when he first broke in, his atrocious ball retention has caused me to lose faith in him.

Reading those stats you quoted earlier, I think it's symptomatic of the academy's limitations.

Everton seem to do a fine job of producing players that are good enough to have a career in the Football League, but very few are equipped to hack it in the first team; and as much as I thought that Davies was going to be something special when he first broke in, his atrocious ball retention has caused me to lose faith in him.

I think Davies got in earlier and was very talented for 18. The issue with our youth academy is often that players don't progress 18-25 as they ought.

Davies is not a rounded player which it shows. His ball retention should be better but he is still young enough to improve that.

I think the issue is that very few clubs regularly produce players that are good enough to go on and play in the Premier League. When you look at the top 6 sides, how many players from their academy regularly make the starting XI?

I've said for a while now that our current batch of youngsters are okay but nothing special. There's time for them to develop but if the likes of Davies, Calvert-Lewin etc will probably forge a career in the division below or in sides that bounce between the top flight and relegation.

He had a crap second season but so do many young lads in their second full season. Was one of better players in the first half of last season tbf to him. The second half of that season was, sadly, a write off. Obviously it’s a big season for him now but let’s make it until perhaps the 2nd half of the season before the knives are out eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back