Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong they are.
Silva picking Davies as captain ahead of other far more experienced players on the team shows that he thinks Davies has big leadership qualities.

When you listen to the summary of a game by a manager like Silva and compare that with what you sometimes read on here you realise that a lot of supporters really have no understanding of a players role on a field in different matches, in different formations.
It was described to me once as a game of chess where the players are the chess pieces and their roles can be so specific and exact that most of us average fans have no idea what they have actually been asked to do.

Leaves us short in the middle then.

Schneiderlin got injured vs Saints. Who else in the squad could we have brought on?
This isnt fifa, loans dont workd. You cant just loan first team kids out on loan and expect them to progress. Look at our history with loans, Browning, Pennington, Garbutt, Grant, McAleny, Lundstrum, Long. Loans dont work

You did which I've come back on. But the 2nd question, if he's been average to poor, can you think of a midfield player of his age (or a bit above) who has been good compared to him over the last 3 years mate?

I'm not trying to have a go at you. My point is, is the issue here not just Davies, but the PL is a very difficult league for teenagers to performed well in consistently?
I don’t keep an eye on other club’s youth products to give an opinion on your second question.

However, players like Dele Alli, Sterling and even Barkley, were better at the same age than Davies is now, IMO.

I’d even say Rodwell looked better than Davies at a comparable age and look how that turned out.

So because you don’t reckon he’s going to be a top player, that he can’t possibly even become a good or even decent player? Why does he have to be a world beater to satisfy you? No one has even made him out to be that.

How on earth you’re comparing the opinions on Tom Davies, 20 years old, to the opinions on Gylfi Sigurdsson, 29 year old seasoned international who cost £45m is beyond me. Writing off a kid with less than 50 top flight starts under his belt and saying that our record signing has not justified his transfer fee are not even remotely comparable.
Who says he has to be a world beater? I haven’t said that. I said he should be loaned out because he shouldn’t be allowed to learn on our time. We’re a team trying to improve and get into Europe, we have no room for passengers.

You don’t take into consideration that there were circumstances that prevented Sigurdsson showing his best form last season? Look at the difference when he’s in his correct position. He’s been our best player this season.

I don’t keep an eye on other club’s youth products to give an opinion on your second question.

However, players like Dele Alli, Sterling and even Barkley, were better at the same age than Davies is now, IMO.

I’d even say Rodwell looked better than Davies at a comparable age and look how that turned out.

Thats fair enough mate, and I'm not trying to catch you. But I think it's demonstrative that the PL has a dearth of young midfield players. It either means they are all rubbish or that it is a hard league to play in. While I concede there may be a bit of both I do think it's more the latter and that should be acknowledged when we assess Davies.

This isnt fifa, loans dont workd. You cant just loan first team kids out on loan and expect them to progress. Look at our history with loans, Browning, Pennington, Garbutt, Grant, McAleny, Lundstrum, Long. Loans dont work

Congratulations, you`ve just won the maddest post of the day award, which considering some of the stuff on here at the mo, is quite an achievement.

All of those players you`ve mentioned where sent out on loan, as bar Browning, they weren`t deemed to be good enough to be considered as regulars for the first team.

After their loans non of them had progressed sufficiently to considered for the first team and most of them were shipped out.

In other words, they had " plateau`d " > deemed that they weren`t going to get any better.

NOT ONE of them has gone onto play for a team in the Premier League, Long is at Fleetwood and I don`t know if Lundstrum even has a team anymore.

So in other words, the loan didn`t ruin them, they just weren`t good enough for the Premier League and were more suited to the lower leagues, which happens with a lot of young lads.

Ross Barkley, Seamus Coleman, loans work if the players have talent.

You cant name a load of League One standard players and say the loans ruined them, they were ruined from birth fam.

Or the players loaned that youve listed just weren’t very good. Ya know who else got loaned out? Seamus Coleman, Harry Kane, Romelu Lukaku...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong they are.
Silva picking Davies as captain ahead of other far more experienced players on the team shows that he thinks Davies has big leadership qualities.

When you listen to the summary of a game by a manager like Silva and compare that with what you sometimes read on here you realise that a lot of supporters really have no understanding of a players role on a field in different matches, in different formations.
It was described to me once as a game of chess where the players are the chess pieces and their roles can be so specific and exact that most of us average fans have no idea what they have actually been asked to do.
I'm not saying you're wrong about Davies as a player but I think Silva's decision to give him the captaincy also suggests that he may agree with what I've been saying on here for years - that captaincy is a fairly redundant role in the modern game and is more given as a little perk to the individual rather than with a belief that it will have a material impact on the performance of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back