Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Kane was playing league 1 at 21yrs of age. If every coach was like you he’d be consigned to playing league 1 for the rest of his career. Bring back big Sam he don’t like youth. Davies is on a steep learning curve. If he plays simple he’s attacked for been too negative. If he tries to thread a pass and it doesn’t come off he’s branded useless. He’s playing against seasoned internationals. Same goes for Holgate. He played some ambitious passes yesterday that didn’t quite come off and made a couple of naive tackles which took the pressure off Huddersfield but the endeavour is there and he is developing into a good player in my opinion.

For every Harry Kane there are hundreds of Jay Spearing's. Fair enough if you think he is developing into a good player, although how you can think that considering what we've seen over the past year is beyond me. I think once we have everyone fit he will rarely start games and it will be for the betterment of the team.

My big concern regarding Davies is his lack of a standout attribute which he could cultivate further. With someone like Barkley, no matter how frustrating he could be, his talent and strongest attributes were self-evident.

With Davies, its much harder to see. His strongest attribute appears to be workrate, which is good to have but not something you'd hope would be your defining quality. He's not very good out of possession (this comes with experience in fairness) but in possession he gives the ball away far too often which is a real concern. I don't think experience plays too much of a role here because passing the ball to a guy wearing the same kit as you is the most fundamental basic rule in football, whether you're 5 years old or 55 years old.

I really think it should have been Davies out on loan this season. At 20 years old, there is absolutely no rush for him to be a success story at Everton yet. Let's be honest, he doesn't even know his best position yet.

I do feel sorry for young players coming through in the Premier League though. The stakes are now so unbelievably high that it's very difficult to provide young players with the kind of patience that they need to improve. At the end of the day though, to succeed at this level, you need an extraordinary talent and at the moment I don't see that in Davies. Hope he proves me wrong.

Not allowed to say a young scouse lad is utter pony mate, its frowned upon, it means you have an agenda.

I am worried mein frandel, when will Davies age out of the Pabbers Defence Squad? When will he be eligible for 5/10 or less ratings?!?

There’s no questioning his work rate and commitment. I thought he was too sloppy yesterday, and things just weren’t going his way. However, he never once hid and just kept going.

I believe he will eventually become a fine player, but currently, he’s a little too lightweight and needs to focus more on his ball retention.

I agree with others that a loan spell would be beneficial. Once Gomes, Bernard and Richarlison return, there’s no way Tom will be first choice. Let him learn his trade elsewhere for a season.

I would defend any young lad we have from the angry fans mate

It seems youth can give player a free pass. He does not seem to develop in recent years although already played 60 odd games for the club. He has not one stand out attribute.

Davies appears to be the burgeoning no nonsense box to box midfielder and for that role he is young.

He's missing a few skills for this role currently, I agree. In the next few seasons I hope to see him learn to

• Pass the ball to a teammate
  • Run with the ball without losing it
  • Shoot
  • Win headers
  • Tackle
  • Track runners
  • Dictate play
Sadly, he seems like he can't do any of these just yet more than twice a season so perhaps this is a bit ambitious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back