Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think people want instant gratification and have a polorized opinion. You are either the best thing since sliced bread or you are [Poor language removed] and not fit to wear the shirt. I was disappointed with overall performance yesterday but Huddersfield fought very hard dug in because they’ve had a difficult start. Davies didn’t have a good game granted but I thought Walcott, Seamus and Siggy all struggled yesterday it was a game where things didn’t happen for us. Particularly 2nd half.

Trying to avoid the fume and bile, so this argument probably already been made but...
Davies was playing CDM with an impotent attack.
The space, movement, options and skill in front of him was simply not there.
There was nobody until Lookman's cameo where someone actually held onto the ball with intent for more than a couple of seconds.
Its incredibly difficult to deliver attacking passes and look good with what he had.
As is the job of a CDM, he had to work out not only who to pass too,
but also if that pass would provide a decent attacking link to the next player.
Basically he had nothing to work with
And I don't think there are many players in the premiership in that position that would have done much better.
Not only did he have nothing in front, his partner offered less.
Is there the same fume for Scheiderlin or is this more about beating up on the younger brother.
Tom Tom pretty much kept it together, and yes he picked a few poor options and played a few poor passes but given the difficulty, he did ok.
And just a thought, how many goals have been scored in open play against us? 1, 2?
Not a bad record and usually has a lot to do with the performance of the CDM.
If your looking for why Everton is not doing better your barking up the wrong tree with Davies.

Hilarious that the only defence of him is his age. Where were you all defending Sandro? If I could be bothered, I’d vault you all.

Noodle head gets a pass because he’s from Liverpool, supports Everton and came through our academy. That’s enough for some. Doesn’t take away from the fact he’s terrible at football.
Davies scored a goal against City, Sandro did not

Trying to avoid the fume and bile, so this argument probably already been made but...
There was nobody until Lookman's cameo where someone actually held onto the ball with intent for more than a couple of seconds.
Its incredibly difficult to deliver attacking passes and look good with what he had.
And I don't think there are many players in the premiership in that position that would have done much better.
Is there the same fume for Scheiderlin or is this more about beating up on the younger brother.
Tom Tom pretty much kept it together, and yes he picked a few poor options and played a few poor passes but given the difficulty, he did ok.
And just a thought, how many goals have been scored in open play against us? 1, 2?
If your looking for why Everton is not doing better your barking up the wrong tree with Davies.
Broadly, I think that ^^ is a fair summary. However, there was one thing missing, and for me it is his most worrying trait, and that is how frequently he gives the ball away when he is not under pressure from the opposition. He did this several times yesterday, particularly in the second half, and in tight games that could cost us. I like the lad and think he has something to offer but I agree with the posters who have suggested some time in the u23s to sharpen up under less pressure. Hopefully, with other players returning from injuries/suspensions that will be an option. He has, unfairly imo, become a scapegoat for some on this forum.

That Davies circle is significantly bigger than the untouchable Sigurdsson like.

DmBjSnqXsAIL--8.png

At a similar age gylfi was loaned out from reading to league 2 shrewsbury town. It's too early (and pathetic) for people to be calling him terrible at football ect. Typical of modern day footy fans.

Broadly, I think that ^^ is a fair summary. However, there was one thing missing, and for me it is his most worrying trait, and that is how frequently he gives the ball away when he is not under pressure from the opposition. He did this several times yesterday, particularly in the second half, and in tight games that could cost us. I like the lad and think he has something to offer but I agree with the posters who have suggested some time in the u23s to sharpen up under less pressure. Hopefully, with other players returning from injuries/suspensions that will be an option. He has, unfairly imo, become a scapegoat for some on this forum.

Agree this has to improve, but..

A lot of lower PL sides have worked out that the best way to get a result is to sit back against us - there is little threat apart from Richarlison, so pack the right side of defence, get the turnover, counter in space behind the high line Everton play, and look for the set piece if you can't score. Good chance of a point, hopefully a win.

Which means shifting the direct pressure off the CDMs to where the CDMs are putting the ball. So yes he's giving the ball away with out pressure because that's the intended tactics of the opposition. If they're good they'll pick his attacking passes and he knows it. So he's forced to rotate the play a lot.
What Davies doesn't get credit for is his intent to keep trying to pass forward.
And he deserves some slack. It's mentally exhausting and frustrating playing to what he's got in front of him, with these type of tactics.
I'd of lost my [Poor language removed] by now if I was him. But he doesn't. He just keeps busting his gut, keeps trying, keeps trying to create, and every now and then a tired pass will come, a few exasperated, frustrated ones as well; or a combination of, like the ropey one over the defence near the end.

As the play in front of him gets better, so will he.
But I think the key is finding the right guy to link with, someone whose got the class and passing range. I'm hoping Dowell will become that guy.
But whoever it is, that player also needs a guy like Davies to compliment - with the passion, heart and the skills to carry it.
I'd really like to see Davies and Gueye either side of Dowell, for a run of games and see how they get on. Maybe in the cups.
Sure we'll see, but dropping him to the u23s at this stage. May as well let him go...Naah, the clubs got more heart and belief than that.

FFS, when he's out on the pitch he looks like he's trying to carry the whole club on his shoulders, at 20yrs of age. He doesn't need to be dropped, he needs support!

You are talking mainly about forward passing so I agree with most of what you said but can you explain why he struggles with side passes also and some back passes are also wayward. He is not in control of his passing. He is unaware of what is around him. He can learn this with time but presently he is not a player that is enhancing our play but is rather detrimental to our play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back