Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can barely remember that season but I’m struggling to work out what parts of his game have dropped off.
Personally I don't think he's ever excelled at any particular aspect of the game, but when he first came in he looked very assured and composed, and he used the ball well. Obviously it's always difficult to know what is/isn't happening, but it looks to me like maybe he was given licence to just keep it simple and do what he could in his first few months, but has then struggled after being asked to step up and be a fully functioning midfielder. It's quite common in young players, and it's one of the reasons why people often claim players have regressed, when it's actually just that more is being expected of them and they can't do it.

He’s poor now, but was he ever that good? Like his debut season was he actually any good? I genuinely can’t even remember.
There are certain intangibles in football that I've come to accept will only truly make sense if you've played professionally. One of them is the enormous difference between home and away performances, and another is the effect of being an unknown quantity.

Davies looks as though he could be the latest in a long line of kids who we've seen come into a Premier League team and have an impact, only to eventually level off to a point where they're forced to drop down a division in order to find regular football. I don't know if it's because they fall prey to the meticulous preparation that goes into each game - I imagine it becomes easier to nullify a player as the sample size of footage of him grows - but for whatever reason the opposition seems to have the measure of them after a couple of meetings.

In the beginning he looked both dynamic and remarkably composed for his age, and that was enough to give him the jump on far more experienced players; whereas now, eighteen months later, those same opponents are identifying him as a weak link who can be pressed and harried into conceding possession with relative ease. It's a strange situation, albeit a very common one (Ryan Mason, Jay Spearing, Brendan Galloway, Tom Carroll, Steven Caulker, Tom Cleverley and Phillipe Senderos are all examples that come to mind).

It's also worth noting that his performances really nosedived when he started pinning his hair up like a dinner lady.

There are certain intangibles in football that I've come to accept will only truly make sense if you've played professionally. One of them is the enormous difference between home and away performances, and another is the effect of being an unknown quantity.

Davies looks as though he could be the latest in a long line of kids who we've seen come into a Premier League team and have an impact, only to eventually level off to a point where they're forced to drop down a division in order to find regular football. I don't know if it's because they fall prey to the meticulous preparation that goes into each game - I imagine it becomes easier to nullify a player as the sample size of footage of him grows - but for whatever reason the opposition seems to have the measure of them after a couple of meetings.

In the beginning he looked both dynamic and remarkably composed for his age, and that was enough to give him the jump on far more experienced players; whereas now, eighteen months later, those same opponents are identifying him as a weak link who can be pressed and harried into conceding possession with relative ease. It's a strange situation, albeit a very common one (Ryan Mason, Jay Spearing, Brendan Galloway, Tom Carroll, Steven Caulker, Tom Cleverley and Phillipe Senderos are all examples that come to mind).

It's also worth noting that his performances really nosedived when he started pinning his hair up like a dinner lady.
I think a huge problem is that in this country we have a massive problem of overrating players in general, much of it down to media/pundits/fans. I have noticed on my travels over the years that players in the other major countries seem to get a bit more time too prove themselves.

Still cant believe we shipped out Besic and we have to watch this floppy haired beaut for the next 6months instead.

I made that point earlier to someone I know as we really debated this subject. Besic was basically chased (told there were no plans for him and he'd be better of leaving) when in the past 12 months, during all of which he's practically been fully fit, he was handed no way near the amount opportunities Davies has been. Same with the likes of Vlasic and Sandro really.

I do like Davies, I badly want him to succeed, I don't want to get angry or shout at him, but when you're going to put in so many truly rubbish performances over a year or so (since Koeman went pretty much) whilst others can't get a look in or, in the case of Lookman, made to feel they're not truly wanted or valued, you can't help but get annoyed. He needs the spotlight turning way down on him, that means no more getting given the armband for a game or starting 30+ games a season. That type of attention and expectation is not helping the kid at this stage of his career. He's got to develop through some tough love now, he's had enough adulation. Now's the period where you start delivering consistently, a hump the likes of Barkley or Jeffers were never able to fully get over.

Last edited:

Free the hair lad.

original.webp

He needs an actual position and style of play, pinpointed for him, that he sticks to and improves on. Difficult for him when, it seems like he's deemed to be another Kevin Richardson type, although that's not to be sniffed at given the medals he won?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back