Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to disagree with that tbh. People were blinded to barkley because he was local imo
I disagree. 4 years ago Barkley was head and shoulders our and England's most promising creative midfielder. If you look back the southern media were overly critical of him, I've watched Loftus Cheek being promoted as the 2nd coming in the past year and failed to see what he actually offers.

Against everything I wrote, I do think Sarri may be a very good manager for him. When you look at Napoli where they had lots of technical players who were comfortable in possession Barkley could fit that very well. I think he could really kick on this season.

Barkley technical aptitude was never an issue for me, it's was his general attitude distractions and physical fitness, even when he was popular and I would have a pretty high funny count if it were still around. Anyways, Davies is a good young player different type of midfielder but appears to me have the right attitude and physical fitness, Silva is no mug with his players, and I expect Davies to kick on over the next two seasons.

Could have got Davies for cheaper couldn't they? But they didn't because... they thought Barkley was better. I'm not saying Chelsea think Barkley's the best player in the world, just that he's quite clearly good, as recognised by most, but sadly not all.

Barkley was bought because he was cheaper than he ualually would have been due to the length of his contract. Davies would have been cheaper but his value wouldn’t automatically increase the day he signed would it? Barkley’s did because he went from being a player with 6 months left to having 4-5 or whatever he signed. Spurs were sniffing around for exactly the same reason, levy saw an investment that was low risk due to the fee we could command, levy doesn’t like spending money does he (250k bid for neville is one example.

I disagree. 4 years ago Barkley was head and shoulders our and England's most promising creative midfielder. If you look back the southern media were overly critical of him, I've watched Loftus Cheek being promoted as the 2nd coming in the past year and failed to see what he actually offers.

Didn’t realise we were talking about the southern media, thought we were talking about our own fans.

His age 20 of which he has just turned is significant as he will progress & improve & get stronger with age...
Most players will peak at 24-26 so he still has plenty of room for improvement...
Some players will have high & lows during their maturity & some players will mature quicker than others...
You will also have exceptions to the rule....i.e. Mbappe,Rooney,Owen.....etc etc....

Sorry for stating the blindingly obvious....
But you did ask....

Why is it an obvious given he’ll improve with age when he hasn’t improved so far in his two first years where you expect every young player to?

Why does a footballer need to excel at one particular thing? he can pass, tackle, has lots of energy, get the odd assist and the odd goal.

He hasn’t improved much in two years but he is still young and can still improve in all of the areas listed.

People thought he was going to be ours and England’s next midfielder for years to come just because he was good enough to get games at 17. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen from there, but that is no reason for people to say get rid, he’ll still be a great squad player at this level for years and he can still improve and be more important for the team.

People are more hyper critical because he actually plays football pretty regularly for his club.

Then when players like Foden or Loftus Cheek who don't, they generate a myth that they're better than they are.

Davies and DCL are playing pretty regularly at a top 10 premiership club when players in the same bracket are barely getting any game time. Says a lot that they're reliable and good enough to play.

Last season they were among only a few players that kept the club ticking

Why does a footballer need to excel at one particular thing? he can pass, tackle, has lots of energy, get the odd assist and the odd goal.

He hasn’t improved much in two years but he is still young and can still improve in all of the areas listed.

People thought he was going to be ours and England’s next midfielder for years to come just because he was good enough to get games at 17. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen from there, but that is no reason for people to say get rid, he’ll still be a great squad player at this level for years and he can still improve and be more important for the team.
I quite agree.
When I think of Bryan Robson I can't think of a thing he excelled at,but he was an excellent midfielder.

He's gaining the experience required at the top level, that so many young footballers don't get and we moan about. During that time there will be disappointments and we'll moan about them too.

Don't ask me why, people dont have patience anymore. He'll come good, very good within a few years and its THEN we'll probably sell him. Now that's where we should be frustrated.

He doesn't really do any of them things though

I don't like slating our players but this guy, his pass completion must be single figures as his passes almost NEVER find their man.

You don’t have to excel at one particular thing if you’re good at loads of things. Unfortunately for Tom Davies at the moment, he’s just alright at loads of things rather than good at them, which overall makes him a weak link. He might well improve, but currently he’s struggling, I think we can all see that.

His age 20 of which he has just turned is significant as he will progress & improve & get stronger with age...
Most players will peak at 24-26 so he still has plenty of room for improvement...
Some players will have high & lows during their maturity & some players will mature quicker than others...
You will also have exceptions to the rule....i.e. Mbappe,Rooney,Owen.....etc etc....

Sorry for stating the blindingly obvious....
But you did ask....
Its not blindingly obvious though. It’s one of my pet hates when fans just automatically assume that players WILL improve as they get older. It just doesn’t work like that, people reach their ceiling at different times, and just playing more games doesn’t mean you’ll suddenly blossom. You’d think that after seeing the likes of Hibbert, Anichebe, Rodwell and some would say Barkley come through and then never really get any better than they were at 20 people would realise, but seemingly not. Of course Davies might get better, we’d be daft to say he can’t, but it’s equally daft to say he definitely will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back