Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really disappointing losing out on Shaqiri. Just got to hope Martinez has other players at that level on the cards.

I'll await my fume until deadline passed.

We won't know until we sign them or at the very least place a bid. Until then it's all speculation that can be woefully off as the dozens upon dozens of names that come up every transfer window that I believe someone actually kept in their signature strip once upon a time to make fun of.

By your logic we have a near 100% record on transfers... Just because they were never pictured inside goodison, or the manager didn't come out and say player X rejected us....

If credible journos say we are in for a player then we likely are...

OK mate, I'm a "fool" for noting there's absolutely nothing whatsoever out there that says we were in for Shaqiri beyond tabloid gossip to sell papers.

I assume we missed out on Jelle Vossen to Middlesbrough as well.
I never realized the Guardian was a tabloid. I've said it before Martinez won't talk about signings so therefore until it's confirmed there's no way it's anything but a rumour but if you think we weren't in for him based on the rumours you are either a fool or a WUM.

Maybe he met Martinez before he went to Stoke and Martinez decided he "wasn't a phenomenal character that fit the group". And Shaqiri cried all the way to Stoke.

No. Sorry, no. This is objectively sound what I'm saying. We have the bigger wage structure, the larger fan base, the bigger stadium, the larger history, the bigger financial turnover, the higher average league position over any period of time you care to take.

In a one on one race for a "top target" which has been identified as crucial to the squad for the upcoming season between Everton and Stoke, Everton win it 99 times out of a 100, with the caveat being if the player is absolutely mental.

If we don't get Shaqiri, it's because we didn't want him as much as Stoke did, or we didn't bid for him in the first instance. That's it.

I do not for one moment believe the player will be arsed about history, the fact we get a few more thousand a week through the gate or where we finished 10 years running to where they finished.

If they pay him more, make him feel more wanted, show they really see him as part of their plans, he will go there.

By your logic we have a near 100% record on transfers... Just because they were never pictured inside goodison, or the manager didn't come out and say player X rejected us....

If credible journos say we are in for a player then we likely are...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/10/everton-dimitri-payet-marseille-france

?

The term "credible journo" is an absolute oxymoron. They have to talk about something to do with the club to get readers on the reg - that's all they exist for, to be read and sell advertising space on the basis of readership.

Journalists get it wrong constantly. I'm not saying we have a 100% hit rate; what I am saying is that on the balance of probability in this scenario if we really wanted the player we'd get him.

Stoke don't have more ambition than us. They have sold their best 2 players in Begovic and N'Zonzi for a total of 15m and is bringing in Shaqiri for that. So far, we have kept hold of McCarthy, Mirallas, Garbutt and Stones and it looks like we are going to bring in 3 more players on top of the shrewd signings of Cleverley and Deulofeu.

But yeah, Stoke have more ambition than us...
Well panic over since we have more ambition than Stoke. I'm glad we have nothing to worry about.

Stoke beat us to a signing that will probably make or break our season. I couldn't give a damn about them except it's a joke they have been able to take a player off us that we needed.

I never realized the Guardian was a tabloid. I've said it before Martinez won't talk about signings so therefore until it's confirmed there's no way it's anything but a rumour but if you think we weren't in for him based on the rumours you are either a fool or a WUM.
ATM Ogbonna is the only player who we know we were in for and haven't got, even then that's likely only because he wouldn't have been a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back