Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of self important people on here belittling Stoke thinking w are a far bigger club then them.
We have a bigger history, bigger stadium yes! But they have proved that almost over a decade that they are a team very much ARE a premier league team (growing up they were championship and league one, I remember Neville Southall turning out for them as they got relegated from the championship).
Over the past 10 years they have got to as many cup finals as us, played in Europe, done everything to earn this spot to start challenging for players.
Bojan, Muniesa, Butland, Shawcross, Amafiltano (last year N'Zonzi, Begovic) are all players we would like to have in our squad so they are building a team.
Just because they are trying to show ambition I say fair play to them, as a player you want to go to an ambitious team and at the moment the project at stoke looks like its going forward while the one at Everton (at the moment anyway, il reserve full on fume for Sept 2nd) looks to be standing still and not building on the good players we already have

Yes he was. Arsenal were in "pole position" according to every paper - our bid was completely out of nowhere.

Remember Bilyaletdinov? Do you know who the newspapers were convinced we were signing? Some other guy from Russia (Bystrov or something?) who in the end we had no interest in, yet if you believed the papers we'd bid £6m for him and he was on his way.
What about Besic?

There's always cases for both arguments.

lol No it doesn't! So we managed to sign a couple of young players who were unwanted and unloved at their respective clubs. So what? hardly ground breaking stuff.

The only real shock is that we managed to get them on both counts.

You've just basically described Shaqiri. Maybe we wanted to pull the same trick we did with Deulofeu and Lukaku - loan only, wait and see first.

You seem to think we were hanging our hat on him and desperate as all hell to sign him and we've been so pathetic we've lost out to Stoke in a straight race. Sorry, to me that's just utterly implausible.

Think it's pretty obvious that with us trying to get him on loan we're not trying to take the risk on him. Inter have probably preferred him to go to Stoke so that they can get Perisic over the line and Stoke will also offer big wages. Not worried about missing out on this one.

A lot of self important people on here belittling Stoke thinking w are a far bigger club then them.
We have a bigger history, bigger stadium yes! But they have proved that almost over a decade that they are a team very much ARE a premier league team (growing up they were championship and league one, I remember Neville Southall turning out for them as they got relegated from the championship).
Over the past 10 years they have got to as many cup finals as us, played in Europe, done everything to earn this spot to start challenging for players.
Bojan, Muniesa, Butland, Shawcross, Amafiltano (last year N'Zonzi, Begovic) are all players we would like to have in our squad so they are building a team.
Just because they are trying to show ambition I say fair play to them, as a player you want to go to an ambitious team and at the moment the project at stoke looks like its going forward while the one at Everton (at the moment anyway, il reserve full on fume for Sept 2nd) looks to be standing still and not building on the good players we already have

I'm not belittling Stoke... I'm just saying we're a club who spends 10% plus more on our wage budget, has consistently finished higher than them in the league and a club with a bigger stadium, much bigger heritage and so on.

That's not belittling - that's just stating fact. They've come on leaps and bounds and there's plenty to admire - but I'm just saying they're not a bigger club than Everton, even if you disregard history entirely and go on any measuring stick you care to use.

For one second, step back and just imagine that the players he has identified... the media have no clue about. What if we're proceeding with deals behind the scenes and we just wrap them up - you know, like we did with Mirallas, Bilyaletdinov, Deulofeu on loan and dozens of others.

Not every deal is telegraphed from a mile away like McCarthy - in fact, they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

For one second, step back and just imagine that the players he has identified... the media have no clue about. What if we're proceeding with deals behind the scenes and we just wrap them up - you know, like we did with Mirallas, Bilyaletdinov, Deulofeu on loan and dozens of others.

Not every deal is telegraphed from a mile away like McCarthy - in fact, they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

So we have clearly identified 3 players for transfers that are basically unknowns - great. Just what you need in the Premier League - unknown and unproven quantities.

My gut instinct is that Martinez trumpeted the 3 signings - 2 of which were Austin and Shaqiri - on the grounds that he felt we were going to outmuscle the opposition to get them and he also knew they would be fan pleasers if we got them. Well, he was wrong and we haven't been able to show the likes of Stoke who's boss. There is no plan B, there never is with us. Lukaku was a fluke on deadline day I cant really see anyone else on his level appearing out of the woodwork. Januzaj does not count as he is a joke.

Bound to turn our attention to Honda now. Think he's far more creative than Shaqiri, imagine we signed Honda and Kagawa tho. Two Japanese gems tearing teams apart.

Would we get Honda on loan? We seem to be angling for a loan for some reason for quality players. I don't think for a second he would come here anyway. There is bound to be teams that will pay more for his services and wages than we could offer (or are willing by the sounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back