Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkish media (poorly translated):

"Besic Selects Bayrampaşa. Everton midfielder Mohammed Besic Erdal Torunoğulları begins preliminary talks to his father, "If you can convince the club, my son is looking hot to play for Besiktas." the report said."

Erdal Torunoğullari is head of Transfer dealings for Besiktas.

Edit: A different report claims we're demanding 5m Euros for him.

My son follows world football this guy peaked 18 months ago in the German league Inter Milan kick him out of their squad - why??? looking for a mug of a club and Stoke fit the bill!
Look at mark hughes record at QPRfor signing Prima donas they went down because of him !

He's 23 mate. He left Bayern because of a lack of playing time which is understandable seeing as he was behind both Robben and Ribery in the pecking order not because he was/is a bit of a trouble maker. He's obviously not done too well at Inter but this whole falling out angle people like to play up could just as easily be down to Mancini who we all know is a bad hot head.

Fact is we were in for this lad and have missed out because we werent willing to match whatever Stoke City have put on the table. We've seen a few calling the fee a risk but let's be honest with ourselves here £12m for a 23 year old player who's played 50+ for Bayern and has bagged 17 in 46 at International level isnt much of a risk at all. Minimum of 8-10m back from Basel if he flops over here.

Turkish media (poorly translated):

"Besic Selects Bayrampaşa. Everton midfielder Mohammed Besic Erdal Torunoğulları preliminary talks to his father, "If you can convince the club, my son is looking hot to play for Besiktas." the report said."

And last week the Turkish told us Mirallas wants out at Everton. Hopefully a non-starter of a story...

When was the last time we signed someone who had no previous affiliation with the club/manager to persuade them to come and join us that another side was also interested in?

Lukaku (had a loan spell with us, only went permanent as Chelsea didn't want him)
Deulofeu (had a loan spell with us, only went permanent as Barca didn't want him)
Cleverley (played under Martinez)
Barry (had a loan spell with us, only went permanent as City didn't want him)
Kone, Joel, Alcaraz McCarthy (All played undr at Wigan)

Our first impressions/negotiations must be awful, as all of these already new the club/manager before they signed permanantly

Besic

Interesting that many on here seem more upset about Stoke getting a player instead of us, as opposed to being upset about us not getting Shaqiri specifically.

My guess is that he wasn't a primary target, but after finding out he might be available, we tried to get him on loan. That seems sensible since there have to be some questions about why he's on his third club in two years. Sometimes you have to consider an opportunity to get a player who could improve your team, even if they're not a primary target or in a position of "need." I suspect this was an example of that.

While I'm somewhat disappointed not to be getting him, I think the shouts of Stoke being "more ambitious" and "passing us by" are crazy overreactions. Players choose one club over another for a variety of different reasons. Just in the past few seasons (if media reports are to be believed), Baines has chosen us over United, McCarthy has chosen us over Tottenham and Lukaku has chosen us over Chelsea. Prior to that, Mirallas chose us over Arsenal. I doubt that those clubs worried about Everton "showing more ambition" than them and "passing them by." Every possible transfer scenario is different, and there are many unknown reasons as to why a players ends up at Club A instead of Club B.

I know everyone is frustrated with the lack of activity (me very much included), but we've still got time to make signings. More players tend to become available towards the end of the window, which is why I think Martinez is willing to wait it out for the last few signings. We may be pleasantly surprised yet.

Sadly the truth of this and the last 2 transfer windows won't be known for a long time yet i.e. until the club produces its annual accounts and holds a shareholders meeting which won't be any time soon so by then it won't be relevant anyway. But only then will we know if there is actually cash available right now from more TV money and successive transfer windows. Or has the debt gone down, or has it just gone towards more lawn mowers, VIBRAC etc. Right now i'm holding out for any faint bit of hope that Bobby has something (x3) up his sleeve for the next 21 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back