Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed email from the Echo in response to an email criticising them

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 507
Martinez only ever plays one winger though, that is his system.

Lennon is the most short-sighted signing ever, I really hope we don't get him in. Would he really be worth the £12.5m he'd likely cost us over the 3 years? Not even close, his performance will decline year on year.

Say Deulofeu costs the same over 3 years, his performances are likely to increase and he will have a value at the end of the third year. These are the type of players a club like us should be going for.

Shaqiri has shown how the tfr window works. He took a month to decide to go to Stoke, all the while waiting for better offers to become available.

Any player capable of improving our side, is also capable of improving Spurs, Stoke, Arsenal etc. So if we move for them now, the agents will advise the players to sit it out and see if they can get a better deal (happened so many times before to Everton). This is why most deals are done on deadline day, because they don't have as much time to hawk them around different clubs. So clubs may only be in negotiations with one club for a player. Fingers crossed Everton have their sights on some young talent who will become a star and are just waiting to rush it through at the last minute so we don't get pipped to the post.

Although having said that, with the amount of pressure on this mythical no. 10 already growing to un-reachable heights, I hope he has really thick skin.

The reason why I'm happy with Lennon is that I think one reason we done well 2 years ago was that we had the likes of Deloufeu to come off the bench and make an impact, last season and this upto now we have no one who can come on and run at tiring defenders.

Providing martinez plays with 2 wingers (and he might considering last season we only had Mirallas and Mcgeady fit most games/had to juggle the EL with the likes of Atsu coming in) maybe he will realise 1 winger system is flawed and will change it around.

Also look at our wingers, Pienaar is finished, mcgeadys fitness is questionable as is his talent, that leaves us with Mirallas and Deloufeu who due to being sprinters pick up hamstring injuries frequently. Having a pacy winger available to come in would be very helpful.

It really isn't a a tough concept to comprehend.
If the transfer window closed before the seasons started, the players wouldn't be unsettled and you'd probably see better football.
But because the transfer window doesn't close before the season starts, Martinez is well within his rights to utilise the whole window and try and pick up the bargain buys and players as and when they come available.
To do otherwise would be foolhardy. If he only used the current transfer window up until the start of the season we'd miss out on great opportunities.

It isn't contradictory, hypocritical or tosh, in fact makes plenty of sense. Managers want to be able to have a settled side before the season starts. This 2/3 week period of games and an open transfer window makes their job harder.

I can also see the benefit in maybe having a better look at your squad on competitive action before deciding if it does need any more strengthening particularly in relation to whether younger players could step up .

I can also see the benefit in maybe having a better look at your squad on competitive action before deciding if it does need any more strengthening particularly in relation to whether younger players could step up .
Perhaps. But that's the way Martinez sees it, which really isn't a stick to hit him with as some are absurdly trying to do.

Of all the things to criticise him over, that isn't one.

Have mentioned this before - I wonder if Baines injury will mean we target a CB who can also play left back? Lescott for example.

Yeah taking it with a pinch of salt.

Do think the Shaqiri deal is down to his attitude, there's clearly more to it.
Yeah, if we really wanted him we would have got him. It's not like 12m and 70k is out of our budget. Probably spend that on Austin (wages might be lower, but you get the point)

.....thinking about the wide player debate, Deulofeu is what we need if we are pushing up the top end of the table, he can create and score vital goals to enable us to win matches. Lennon is what we need if we are in the dog fight at the bottom of the table, he can put in an amazing shift to enable us not to lose matches.

I wonder which one will play more.

I wonder if stoke fans are getting as tetchy as we do when a player has a medical and agree's terms and then has to wait ages for confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back