Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have Lennon than Townsend. He's basically an English McGeady - does little 90% of the time, but gets rave reviews when he does simply because he's English.

At least Lennon is a workhorse who'll give you a bit of consistency.

The one thing Lennon does have is his pace. He immediately makes defenders play 5/10 yards deeper as there so scared of his speed. Sometimes that alone is priceless.

Does a couple more automatically mean two (I know it literally does)? I have heard that phrase spoken in more general terms by Martinez before

That's what I was saying too mate, I think we was using it to mean possibly more than 2, whilst probably also being vague so as not to make promises... which is still a bit cack-handed when talking to the press/vague so as to avoid promises.

There was a quote from Stuart McCall on BBC Sport in some Celtic argument which I thought was a bit interesting:

"When most teams go to Parkhead, they usually play with just the one up front and Virgil van Dijk strolls about."

Does he maybe look a really decent player because he's a) playing in the SPL, but also b) He's not even getting tested in the matches by strikers etc.? Because that's kind of the role I'd want Stones to do against a single striker.

.....it's all about opinion and judgement. We all have ours but it's RMs that matters.

The one thing Lennon does have is his pace. He immediately makes defenders play 5/10 yards deeper as there so scared of his speed. Sometimes that alone is priceless.

It is for the way we play. We rely on pushing teams back so we don't get countered frequently and the opposition don't press us so high. That's the problem we have in playing one winger.

In fact, people say we play one winger - I'd argue we played none at Watford. I don't class Mirallas as one as he's an inside forward all day long in my eyes, and Cleverley is a central midfielder.

It's like you say, we don't necessarily need width, but we need pace on at least one side of the pitch.

My main concern is he won't get time to train properly with the team what with his work finding a cure for Alzheimer's, ending poverty and clearing all those land mines.

If he comes here I just hope our fans don't hound him to much like the press did with the queen of hearts.

That will be a good thing, when lukaku came in he was a barnstorming centre forward who would throw players out the way. Now he is a trampoline footed s$%thouse, its been trained out of him

*cries hysterically

To bring some optimism to things, my view is we'll sign two very decent players and probably two others, probably a nominal fee and a loan.

Reason I say that is down to common sense - first off, he's said so himself. Second, the run of fixtures we have to start the season means if we didn't bring in good quality, I think even Martinez himself knows his job is on the line.

Third, I just think we're saving the wage costs as long as possible. I think we've identified at least two prime targets and we've probably got them sewn up, but we're waiting. Look at the timing of the McCarthy/Mirallas contracts - right on the eve of the season - and in my view that was to save the wages during the summer.

We're a penny-pinching club that isn't prone to risks or unnecessary expenditure on the pitch; hence why even if we were interested in Shaqiri, we'd have never plumped £12m down on a risk that big given his recent history.

I'm confident we'll spend money and the signings will include some real quality, but my frustration is that we should have been a bit more gung-ho in our approach this season as it's one where we need to do well to retain the core of the side next season. The likes of Lukaku, Barkley and Stones will be big targets for other clubs if we end up marooned in mid-table come May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back