Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To bring some optimism to things, my view is we'll sign two very decent players and probably two others, probably a nominal fee and a loan.

Reason I say that is down to common sense - first off, he's said so himself. Second, the run of fixtures we have to start the season means if we didn't bring in good quality, I think even Martinez himself knows his job is on the line.

Third, I just think we're saving the wage costs as long as possible. I think we've identified at least two prime targets and we've probably got them sewn up, but we're waiting. Look at the timing of the McCarthy/Mirallas contracts - right on the eve of the season - and in my view that was to save the wages during the summer.

We're a penny-pinching club that isn't prone to risks or unnecessary expenditure on the pitch; hence why even if we were interested in Shaqiri, we'd have never plumped £12m down on a risk that big given his recent history.

I'm confident we'll spend money and the signings will include some real quality, but my frustration is that we should have been a bit more gung-ho in our approach this season as it's one where we need to do well to retain the core of the side next season. The likes of Lukaku, Barkley and Stones will be big targets for other clubs if we end up marooned in mid-table come May.

same with the mccarthy transfer, deadline day when there was no need for it to be

same with the mccarthy transfer, deadline day when there was no need for it to be

I think in that instance Felli was still here so no need to jump the gun and give impetus to United to low ball the bid for our player, knowing we had to get rid.

It's a shame we had to sell Fellaini to buy a player for £13m, but... you know... "other operating costs".

Despite what the club said at the time we obviously couldn't afford McCarthy until we'd sold Fellaini. Otherwise why leave it so late? It was either a panic but to replace Fellaini or we couldn't afford him. Nothing else makes sense unless we really do practise late signings to save wages. Seems odd if we did considering we give huge deals to pensioners and crocks who barely play.

Not to put down Holgate or anything, but surely we need to be looking at a more experienced centre back? We already 3 under 21's in Stones, Galloway and Browning

I know we need a number 10, but would like to have seen Mirallas given a go there with Del and Lennon (if we sign him) on the wings. He is good technically and a great finisher.

Del, Lennon, Mirallas and Lukaku isn't the worst attacking line in the world, especially with McCarthy and/or Barkley/ Cleverley behind them

imagine if we'd kept our good players AND bought good players..hahaha, oh....

rooney upfront with lukaku, lescott as a good back up centre back, arteta as a deep lying playmaker, fellaini as a destroyer or a great option from the bench to go direct

WEEPS

Despite what the club said at the time we obviously couldn't afford McCarthy until we'd sold Fellaini. Otherwise why leave it so late? It was either a panic but to replace Fellaini or we couldn't afford him. Nothing else makes sense unless we really do practise late signings to save wages. Seems odd if we did considering we give huge deals to pensioners and crocks who barely play.
McCarthy admitted he was sat in his car in a car park waiting for us to confirm felli was going before signing, they tried to spin it like he would of come regardless at the time but it was obvious sell to buy

@SirBobMartinez: "I met Everton, yes. But when you are presented with Stoke City or Everton it's an obvious choice for a player." Xherdan Shaqiri (Bild)

Not sure if that's Twitter jarg or genuine quote..

After the Villareal friendly, Roberto is convinced we need 3 players in (defender, playmaker, striker).

One week later, Kone scores 1 goal and today we only need 2 players in. This is for real? God help us!!!

Sign Austin ffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back