Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemed to be linked with Van Dijk a lot and papers reporting we are willing to pay 10 million. When's the last time we scored a free kick?

I think that's harsh. Reported on QPR a lot last year and his all-round play is decent. Would be very good for us as a second choice behind Lukaku, but we won't spend £10mil on a back up striker.

Probably did come across a bit harsh, as I liked the look of him when he was at Swindon a couple of years ago. Just saying I'll be really surprised if ever scores 18 goals in a Premier League season again.

Not having that. Anichebe was great in his last season for us. Jelavic fell off a cliff but he started out quality.

Kone is the oldest of the three of them as well. And cost the most.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...seals-switch-to-hull-city-for-undisclosed-fee
The deal is believed to be worth £6.5m with a further £1m due if the Tigers avoid relegation, eclipsing the club's previous biggest outlay of £5.25m for Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone last year.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...seals-switch-to-hull-city-for-undisclosed-fee
They are reported to have spent £5m to sign the 25-year-old with clauses taking the possible cost up by a further £1m.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...gn-ivory-coast-striker-arouna-kone-from-wigan
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said last week that he expected the 29-year-old to leave after Everton met the £5m buy-out clause in Kone's contract.

The deal is believed to be worth £6.5m with a further £1m due if the Tigers avoid relegation, eclipsing the club's previous biggest outlay of £5.25m for Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone last year.

They are reported to have spent £5m to sign the 25-year-old with clauses taking the possible cost up by a further £1m.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...gn-ivory-coast-striker-arouna-kone-from-wigan
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said last week that he expected the 29-year-old to leave after Everton met the £5m buy-out clause in Kone's contract.

Victor was free.

Jela cost 5m.

I think the worry is that Lukaku gets hurt then that really is that for us scoring any goals ever.
true. we need quite a few players but it's about prioritizing. we honestly could use cover everywhere besides LB and CM but we're not going to bring in 5-6 new players with only 2 outs (distin and alcaraz)

Not having that. Anichebe was great in his last season for us. Jelavic fell off a cliff but he started out quality.

Kone is the oldest of the three of them as well. And cost the most.

Anichebe was decent in his last season, but even then he only got 8 goals in arguably his best season. It was good to see him adding work rate to his game but ultimately he lacked the quality.

Jela when presented a chance can slot but his hold up play is non-existent, no pace and forever offside. I still like the dude, but for 7.5 mil I too would have let him go.

Kone's been halted by an injury that many players don't return from. He's got better hold up play than Chebes and Jela and also has pace. His decision making is awful, as is his finishing but I still think he's a better option than the other two because he can at least stretch defences and bring team-mates into the game.

how do people think a backup striker is more important than a playmaker? we struggled last year because teams would sit back against us and we couldn't break them down or give Rom could service. We don't need to spend 14m on another striker that won't get service

Because last season was the exception and we had no such worries the year before with exactly the same midfield as we have now although Barkley & Delefeou who are 2 big players for us are now older and more experienced.

We've also signed the hugely under rated Tom Cleverley to add to that group who's an England international and very highly rated by some of the top managers in the game, Ferguson, Moyes, Martinez for example whilst LVG made him captain last season and a top player like Giggs, who's played with the elite players, brought him right into his team ahead of Mata once he took got control of the first team.

I can see is giving this diamond in midfield a go which with 2 strikers is very attacking. If we could sign someone like Austin, we m'd certainly have the players to make it work.

Probably did come across a bit harsh, as I liked the look of him when he was at Swindon a couple of years ago. Just saying I'll be really surprised if ever scores 18 goals in a Premier League season again.

Fair enough. Yeh I'd imagine you're right. Suppose it depends where he goes. If he goes somewhere where he's the main striker, e.g. Palace, Villa, Leicester... he'll probably score 15 with ease, as all the play will be directed to him. However, put him somewhere where he may not be automatically first choice (Everton, Southampton, Spurs etc.) then he'd probably do well to hit 10 league goals.

He's good but by no means world class. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that Team of the Year last season. He's invisible in a lot of games - especially if he gets a slight kick early on (McCarthy did him in the first 10 of the Goodison derby and he was anonymous all game). Only big game he played well in was against City.

He's not world class, no. I'm not saying that though, I'm just saying he's the type of player I'd like us to bring in. I think we need someone with the quality, the balls and a cool enough head to actually pick out the runs Lukaku makes (in vain) approximately 25, 000 times a game. Coutinho has weaknesses, but he has those three things going for him. Barkley isn't really fitting the bill at present as although he has the first attribute in spades, he has neither of the latter two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back