Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We scored one the whole of last season.
And how many the year before...with players still at the club. We have 4 or 5 players capable of hitting one. The ability to strike a free kick should be close to the bottom of the list when looking at a central defender for us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has refused to rule out making a move to sign Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk. Speaking after watching his English Premier League side record a 3-1 friendly win over Hearts at Tynecastle, the Spaniard confessed he is in the market for a new central defender. While being unwilling to speak directly about van Dijk, Martinez is reportedly willing to pay Celtic's £10million asking price.

With Everton's John Stones the subject of big-money interest from Chelsea, and Sylvain Distin and Antolin Alcaraz having both left Merseyside in the summer, the Goodison manager has admitted he is in need of reinforcements. 'That's the nature of this period, you are going to be linked with players,' said Martinez. 'I don't enjoy talking about other players when they are not at our club and I will never be disrespectful in that manner.

'Our squad is not complete. We are still looking for two positions and we need to make sure they fit exactly in the group in the manner we want and expect as footballers and people. 'Central defence is one of those positions. Two experienced centre-halves left the squad, so we need to fill those gaps. 'I'm still assessing two of the young players we've got in the squad, but maybe we need another new face at centre-half. 'We will wait as long as we can to select the person we want.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has refused to rule out making a move to sign Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk. Speaking after watching his English Premier League side record a 3-1 friendly win over Hearts at Tynecastle, the Spaniard confessed he is in the market for a new central defender. While being unwilling to speak directly about van Dijk, Martinez is reportedly willing to pay Celtic's £10million asking price.

With Everton's John Stones the subject of big-money interest from Chelsea, and Sylvain Distin and Antolin Alcaraz having both left Merseyside in the summer, the Goodison manager has admitted he is in need of reinforcements. 'That's the nature of this period, you are going to be linked with players,' said Martinez. 'I don't enjoy talking about other players when they are not at our club and I will never be disrespectful in that manner.

'Our squad is not complete. We are still looking for two positions and we need to make sure they fit exactly in the group in the manner we want and expect as footballers and people. 'Central defence is one of those positions. Two experienced centre-halves left the squad, so we need to fill those gaps. 'I'm still assessing two of the young players we've got in the squad, but maybe we need another new face at centre-half. 'We will wait as long as we can to select the person we want.'
So he is pretty much saying that hos No1 targets aren't available yet, but he is hoping something changes between now and the end of the window....I think we will have to wait sorry boys/girls! Makes deadline day more interesting though!

So he is pretty much saying that hos No1 targets aren't available yet, but he is hoping something changes between now and the end of the window....I think we will have to wait sorry boys/girls! Makes deadline day more interesting though!
think is I don't know why anyone is surprised. back at the beginning of the summer I remember reading an interview with Martinez where he said we would bring in some faces early than wait til late in the window for others

Two positions only? CB and #10?
Long live Kone then....

If Lukaku got injured we have people to cover there in an emergency - Mirallas and Naismith are both strikers (and we have Kone, although he's crap). We haven't even got one creative midfielder, never mind any cover there.
I'd rather have a good striker in case Rom gets injured mate. Kone and Naismith isn't good enough against the big boys imo. Kenwright should just spend some money and sort the squad out but he's a horrible horrible man.

A little promising as he didn't dismiss it out of hand like the Jonny Evans rumour.

Another Scottish paper is running a similar story today as well.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/martinez-refuses-to-rule-out-van-dijk-transfer-1-3841576

Don't get this Van Dijk thing.

On the one hand we're told he is desperate to move to a better league so he can show his Dutch overlords he's good enough for the national team. On the other hand, everyone assumes he'd be a back up to Jags and (hopefully) Stones.

Martinez is talking in terms of strengthening the squad so I guess that means an extra cb, not a replacement.

I'd rather have a good striker in case Rom gets injured mate. Kone and Naismith isn't good enough against the big boys imo. Kenwright should just spend some money and sort the squad out but he's a horrible horrible man.
Everybody seems to see that accept one man

His quotes say to me that John Stones stays unless there is some silly dollar on the table.

So the two positions being filled are his fabled #10 and a centre-half.

I suspect he'll sneak a centre-forward loan in there too plus Lennon.

Could be an exciting close to the window.

I see nobody leaving at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back