Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's clever from Martinez to buy early with Cleverley & Deulofeu then get pre-season underway before spending any real money.

It allows him to identify weaknesses but also give the squad a chance to step up.

Players like McAleny, Browning and Powell may save us panic buying for the sake of buying.

Problems we face are sharks sniffing around Stones which isn't ideal but if we are getting £30m+, we will sell but by waiting Martinez will have identified what we need plus act quickly on those targets with knowledge of the fans we need to shore up for the season.

Ideally we keep Stones and still get our targets but this is Everton so if the magic £30m+ comes we will be ready to snap up those 3 players (Centre Back, Winger, Striker)

I wonder.

Do people think we'd have signed Cleverley this window if he'd not been on a free?

Think if we really wanted him we would have paid the fee for him last year. The fact we didn't even challenge villa for the loan fee says it all really.

Something similar will happen with Lennon, want him now but we will wait till next summer.

You're missing my point. They are spending £9m + the £13m they already spent on Cabaye. Do you think we'll spend £22m this summer?
Yes..
You're missing my point. They are spending £9m + the £13m they already spent on Cabaye. Do you think we'll spend £22m this summer?
Yes!
I didn't say I wanted to sign Wickham. I'm talking in terms of the comparative spend Crystal Palace seem to have compared to us. Can you see us spending £22m this summer? I can't.
YES!!!!

Think if we really wanted him we would have paid the fee for him last year. The fact we didn't even challenge villa for the loan fee says it all really.

Something similar will happen with Lennon, want him now but we will wait till next summer.
Erm we did though mate. We wanted him on loan and/or on a perm but United didn't want to allow him to go to us.

If you look at the squad Crystal Palace have then 22m is nowhere near enough.

Palace would dearly love to swap squads with Everton, most teams would. That is why we are listening all summer to our players being linked with CL clubs.
We need a player or two or three to fill out the squad. We have a gap in the team for an attacking midfielder , other teams are tring to build their squads.

If you look at the squad Crystal Palace have then 22m is nowhere near enough.

Palace would dearly love to swap squads with Everton, most teams would. That is why we are listening all summer to our players being linked with CL clubs.
We need a player or two or three to fill out the squad. We have a gap in the team for an attacking midfielder , other teams are tring to build their squads.

Exactly, some of the worrying on here is unbelievable. We tried to buy Palace's best player so he could sit on the bench watching our England international centreback pairing yet some people are worried they have a better squad than us?! Cabaye is their only player I would have in the 11.

Our best ever start to a premiership season 2006/2007 coincided with getting our transfer business done early. Lescott, Johnson et al. Moyes even admitted getting his squad together early was a key factor in this. If you are happy for us still being a week away from the start of the window with only a free transfer and Gerard signed then you are easily pleased. If we had had our business done earlier in Roberto's first season then I highly doubt we would have only taken 3 points from the first 9 which ultimately cost us champions league football.
Even if we had taken all 9 points on offer, we would not have been top 4...we would have been 5th, 1 point behind Arsenal.

I didn't say I wanted to sign Wickham. I'm talking in terms of the comparative spend Crystal Palace seem to have compared to us. Can you see us spending £22m this summer? I can't.
The amount we spend isn't relevant. It's the quality we get in that matter. If Palace bought Hibbert for £20m wouldn't make them a better club then us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back