VAR

Dermot Gallagher on refwatch earlier made the excuse that more training for VARs was needed.

This was laughed off by Kevin Campbell who said that apologies were not enough when you have people incapable of doing the job that they are paid to do.

Enjoyed seeing Gallagher piped down- well said Kevin.
Gallagher is utterly pointless on refwatch. He just tries to defend them at all costs, including to his integrity.
How much training can a person need to draw a 'king line?!
Nice1 from KC

and new VAR officials who are not connected to the current refereeing regime so that bias by association is taken out o the considerations (ie I don't want to give that decision as the ref, 'Steve' is a mate/great guy, and it will embarrass him).

Allowing the voice traffic will allow transparency of decision making processes. What are they hiding by keeping us out of them?
I heard last summer they were releasing audio post game to youtube... never did
Should be live regardless but they definitely help to create suspicion by not being transparent

Dermot Gallagher on refwatch earlier made the excuse that more training for VARs was needed.

This was laughed off by Kevin Campbell who said that apologies were not enough when you have people incapable of doing the job that they are paid to do.

Enjoyed seeing Gallagher piped down- well said Kevin.

Of course they need more training...to be able to come up with the correct decision as dictated by the laws of the game. It's not like these people are referees or anything that have been officiating for years working their way up to 'elite' level status... :oops: :Blink:

When the debate about VAR comes up, I always ask this question: has VAR improved the game? The answer is, pretty much to the man and woman, no.*

The technology is not to blame - it's used more than effectively in numerous other sports. The failures come from those who utilise it and the inconsistencies.

*I do recollect BigOil saying it had, so obviously that's another reason to get rid of it.

I've said the same. I don't see any difference between pre and post VAR apart from the fact you can't blame the ref on the pitch making a wrong call when he has an army of cameras and other refs in his ear making decisions

I've said the same. I don't see any difference between pre and post VAR apart from the fact you can't blame the ref on the pitch making a wrong call when he has an army of cameras and other refs in his ear making decisions
I do see a difference: I feel there's been a decline. As there were obvious mistakes before VAR, it was brought in to improve the consistency - to make it fair.

At full pelt, it must be difficult for a referee to make the correct decision most of the time, so the VAR official and all the cameras were there to support it.

Instead, it feels as if we have more contentious decisions now than ever before; we have this horrible purgatory period between a goal going in and the decision.

In other sports, you have a similar period, but it doesn't feel the same because, ultimately, we all feel we can't rely on VAR to often make the right decision.

Personally, I don't care about marginal offside decisions - that's not what it was brought in for. Yet, we're here looking in minute detail if is a toe is offside...

... and they can't even draw the lines properly, if at all, when doing that. We regularly have tackles deserving off a sending off, but they are reviewed and let go.

On the flip side, we have VAR looking at innocuous events and penalties then being given. If there was a vote now to keep or remove VAR, I'd scrap it.

I'd go back to pre-VAR in a heart beat because, looking at it objectively, I do not feel there was anywhere near the level of controversy that occurs each week.

But the technology is not the issue - it's the imbeciles using it. Until they're removed, we're going to keep having the same ol' problem that emerge each time.

@wainy there feels as if there are more influential mistakes being made, whereas the PGMOL will throw a statistic that more decisions are being made correct.

Yet, they'll be referring to things that are not going to influence the game.

I do see a difference: I feel there's been a decline. As there were obvious mistakes before VAR, it was brought in to improve the consistency - to make it fair.

At full pelt, it must be difficult for a referee to make the correct decision most of the time, so the VAR official and all the cameras were there to support it.

Instead, it feels as if we have more contentious decisions now than ever before; we have this horrible purgatory period between a goal going in and the decision.

In other sports, you have a similar period, but it doesn't feel the same because, ultimately, we all feel we can't rely on VAR to often make the right decision.

Personally, I don't care about marginal offside decisions - that's not what it was brought in for. Yet, we're here looking in minute detail if is a toe is offside...

... and they can't even draw the lines properly, if at all, when doing that. We regularly have tackles deserving off a sending off, but they are reviewed and let go.

On the flip side, we have VAR looking at innocuous events and penalties then being given. If there was a vote now to keep or remove VAR, I'd scrap it.

I'd go back to pre-VAR in a heart beat because, looking at it objectively, I do not feel there was anywhere near the level of controversy that occurs each week.

But the technology is not the issue - it's the imbeciles using it. Until they're removed, we're going to keep having the same ol' problem that emerge each time.

@wainy there feels as if there are more influential mistakes being made, whereas the PGMOL will throw a statistic that more decisions are being made correct.

Yet, they'll be referring to things that are not going to influence the game.

I agree.

I've always said...I'm more forgiving of a ref making an incorrect/debatable decision (and let's have it right there was probably 5 or 6 huge ones pre VAR, than one a week with it) because it's his final decision and not a group of others and millions in tech.

I would honestly want it just to be the refs decision. If he wants to double check something... he'll go to VAR. If there's an off the ball incident...VAR can help. The linemen have been pretty good for years considering the speed of the game. What takes them seconds to decide takes minutes to zoom in to a toenail. No fan is arsed if a toenail is offside IMO.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back