VAR

All I know is we are never on the right end of these damn marginal decisions that you can make a case for and against,other teams they may go 50/50,60/40 against,70/30 against whatever,all I know is every single "big" decision appears to have not gone our way,feel free to correct me!!
I genuinely struggle to remember the last time we got a favourable decision apart from a soft penalty against Norwich early last season.

The Coleman decision at Forest I could just about stomach because there wasn't anything completely conclusive to overrule the ref's decision. But I've not seen anything at all conclusive on Gray's handball and that time they were happy to overrule. There's just no consistency to the process.
Just seen the stonewall penalty wolves should have had var said it wasn't clear and obvious to turn over the on field decision

The Coleman decision at Forest I could just about stomach because there wasn't anything completely conclusive to overrule the ref's decision. But I've not seen anything at all conclusive on Gray's handball and that time they were happy to overrule. There's just no consistency to the process.
Awarding the penalty would have literally caused a diplomatic incident. Newcastle will given every opportunity to finish in the top 4 make no mistake. As for Gray and our VAR, made for thrilling and entertaining cliff hanger. VAR had a very good weekend just as planned.

I read somewhere yesterday that some retired ref claims it is a free out even if accidental - on Sky maybe?

This is the rule:

"It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
  • scores in the opponents' goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

If this is now the law it is daft. If a defender blasts the ball against a forward 's arm and it goes into the net it should be a goal unless the forward did something with his arm to consciously help the ball in.

What I dislike most about the VAR process is the selective transparency.

If an odd (or at least confusing) decision is made in a big game, there’s lots of media scrutiny which often leads to some official communication about the decisions made by VAR.

But when not enough of the media care, we hear nothing.

Why can’t the audio between the referee and the VAR be made public? Even post-game would be fine. At least there’d be universal transparency.

What I dislike most about the VAR process is the selective transparency.

If an odd (or at least confusing) decision is made in a big game, there’s lots of media scrutiny which often leads to some official communication about the decisions made by VAR.

But when not enough of the media care, we hear nothing.

Why can’t the audio between the referee and the VAR be made public? Even post-game would be fine. At least there’d be universal transparency.
Gray's 'goal' has been forgotten about now, not a peep in any of the media I have seen. We need to get ourselves away from the drop zone so we aren't in a position to give them their great story of a big historic club's fall from grace - even if they did get a few nudges in that direction.

Gray's 'goal' has been forgotten about now, not a peep in any of the media I have seen. We need to get ourselves away from the drop zone so we aren't in a position to give them their great story of a big historic club's fall from grace - even if they did get a few nudges in that direction.
In this particular instance, I think the lack of MotD punditry probably did us no favours in terms of raising the profile of the VAR call.

But as I say, it shouldn't be necessary. We should be able to hear the justification for every VAR call as it was made post-match.

Knowing that their thoughts would be publicly accessible would, I think, ensure greater thought and rigour from those making the decisions.

As it is, there's zero accountability, unless the media get their teeth into a particular case.

Just seen the stonewall penalty wolves should have had var said it wasn't clear and obvious to turn over the on field decision

The league would prefer final day drama with Wolves in the relegation battle and Newcastle fighting for fourth (but not getting it). The actual incident in itself is irrelevant, VAR just tries to fix whatever outcome the league would like the most.

More money for the tv companies, more interest from sponsors, more money for book makers.

No one wants the league won by 20 points, top 4 decided by March, and three teams cut adrift at the bottom by Feb. It all has to be carefully stage managed to the final day so there’s numerous outcomes possible. Scudamore even said it himself.

The league would prefer final day drama with Wolves in the relegation battle and Newcastle fighting for fourth (but not getting it). The actual incident in itself is irrelevant, VAR just tries to fix whatever outcome the league would like the most.

More money for the tv companies, more interest from sponsors, more money for book makers.

No one wants the league won by 20 points, top 4 decided by March, and three teams cut adrift at the bottom by Feb. It all has to be carefully stage managed to the final day so there’s numerous outcomes possible. Scudamore even said it himself.
this

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back