• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne Rooney. 250k/300k a week, five league goals in 2015. This season, seven games (started every game), one goal and stinking the place out on a weekly basis.

Arouna Kone, on about 40k a week, two goals from eight appearances this season, but only five starts to his name.

We can forget Kone's last two years due to his unfortunate luck with injuries. Rooney has no such excuse.

Also, only a fool would disagree that Kone appears to be on the up and looking much more like the player he was two/three years ago, while Rooney is massively losing quality/fitness/sharpness/a goal-scoring instinct/interest.

I kind of get people defending him as he's a supposed massive Evertonian and Scouser, but really he's not a patch on the player he once was, despite him in the prime of his career. He should be at the top for another two years yet, minimum, but he's finished.
Are you comparing Rooney to Kone and saying you'd prefer Kone?

Are you comparing Rooney to Kone and saying you'd prefer Kone?
From an Everton FC point of view, in the knowledge that Rooney would bankrupt Everton; yes.

If he wants to come and fit nicely into our wage structure and could be had for free, then I'd love him here.

From an Everton FC point of view, in the knowledge that Rooney would bankrupt Everton; yes.

If he wants to come and fit nicely into our wage structure and could be had for free, then I'd love him here.
That's a bold statement to be honest.

On the basis that we didn't sacrifice one of our young players, I would jump at the chance to have Rooney back. For the simple reason that he'd have a massive impact on the club and team.

If you're not a fan of Everton Football Club being patronised, then Rooney returning shouldn't really appeal to you.
Him returning to Everton is a step down for him, in his eyes. We weren't good enough for him in his prime years - he didn't want to become a Gerrard figure for us and drive us on to glory. Rather than be the main man and have a team built around like Everton legends of yesteryear, he chose the easy route to personal glory. Which - fair enough, fair play to him, whatever. But you can't have it both ways. You can't chose the easy way to glory, then paint yourself as some tribal blue longing to come home.

He's entering the twilight of his career. He's no longer at his very best. We as a club have aspirations to be in the top 4. He's essentially being deemed surplus to requirements at a top 4 club in Utd, no longer deemed good enough for them. Logically, there is no reason to take him. We should be moving on from the days of 'not good enough for Utd but good enough for Everton'.

I understand your point of view but I don't really think this is an accurate comparison. Gerrard made his debut in '98. The year before Liverpool finished 4th. The year he made his debut they finished 3rd. The circumstances Gerrard found himself in breaking into that Liverpool team were not the same. It wasn't like a 16 year old was going to turn around a relegation fodder team single handedly. We didn't have the money to invest to build a team around him and without getting into a Kenwright arguement we weren't likely to be bought. It was Rooney going and good management that allowed us to build that new team. A better comparison would be Barkley who's coming into a team that is around the same level as that Liverpool team from '98

The way he left was what done it for me. We had just finished 17th, we were a lot of peoples tips to go down, we were all terrified, and he waited until the last few days of the window to ask for his transfer because he knew he had us over a barrel. And this wasn't just Stretfords fault that's far too easy. Rooney thought he was too big for us. He never was, and to sh!t on us like that, was hard to take.

Not to mention he has been dung for about two years, he can do one to America with his 'good mate' Gerrard.
It's been well documented that we would have more than likely been in financial ruin if we hadn't sold Rooney.

people who know his family and that all say he plans to come here after united like, so hopefully it happens and he can offer something.

though things can change in footy quickly tbf.

I can't believe people are advocating his return, and using the fact the romantic aspect is the cause of people not wanting it.

He f*cked us over, he has trodden all over our history on very emotional days when he return ( anyone care to remember him kissing the badge on ballys day?) he has been sued by our previous manager, and all because people fancy him in this mid 30s coming back to a team where we're in the middle of getting the average age down under 25 people want him back

unreal.

I can't believe people are advocating his return, and using the fact the romantic aspect is the cause of people not wanting it.

He f*cked us over, he has trodden all over our history on very emotional days when he return ( anyone care to remember him kissing the badge on ballys day?) he has been sued by our previous manager, and all because people fancy him in this mid 30s coming back to a team where we're in the middle of getting the average age down under 25 people want him back

unreal.

You gotta let go of your anger Bry, hes a world class player.

people who know his family and that all say he plans to come here after united like, so hopefully it happens and he can offer something.

though things can change in footy quickly tbf.
I honestly don't see him offering that much more than the utter circus following him wouldn't detract from.

It's nice to be in a position to potentially turn down England's leading all time goal scorer but I just don't want him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back