• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a article in The Times today about Rooney. In essence pointed out at his time of Everton, the enormous potential in Rooney and referenced his goal against Arsenal. Continued that at Man U. He developed that bit further but then basically stalled not reaching the heights suggested from his early potential.
He has been a very effective player since he left us (just look at his scoring record), but I agree that there's a feeling he could have done more.

Playing for Everton and Euro 2004 he was the archetypal young, powerful centre-forward. He focused on goal and pretty much nothing else.

At Manure I feel as if he was rightly or wrongly forced into playing a more diverse approach, whereby he was there to contribute in other aspects.

He was no longer focusing purely on scoring goals, yet rather he was now contributing to the squad and supporting others in their own play.

Look at all the positions he has played during his time at Manure: forward; winger; number ten; a central midfielder. It took away his raw edge.

Some may argue that if he had stayed he would not have lost that edge, but arguably if Ferguson had utilised him properly he'd have developed.

We now talk about Messi and Ronaldo and Rooney could and maybe should have been in that bracket, however it panned out differently.

Would I have him here? Not on anywhere near £300k per week, probably not even near the £100k mark to be fair as it would be unmanageable.

Although, I still think he would add a lot to our squad in our present situation. I just hope it doesn't happen in the future purely on sentiment.

Another Gazza and Ginola situation is not what we want nor need.

Well why yes, yes how dare he. I just don't see why we suddenly need to pretend he's a boss blue because he's having a mid life crisis, and remembered he likes Everton again now that he's past his best.

He has made his choices in the past and that's that, and if he joins I'll get behind him, but I would rather he didn't.
In my opinion he's still a good player, and he'd be one of our best players if he came back.

It's been done to death to the point that I don't really care either way, tbh.

I don't think choices he made as a teenager should impact any potential future move, though.

And midlife crisis, he's 29 FFS. Is that what I've got to look forward to next year? lol

As has been said, I thought he tried quite hard not to score. There was one in particular when he was running in from the right at the Street End and seemed to let himself be dispossessed by a pretty weak tackle.
Laid a couple off too, when the shot was definitely on.

He has been a very effective player since he left us (just look at his scoring record), but I agree that there's a feeling he could have done more.

Playing for Everton and Euro 2004 he was the archetypal young, powerful centre-forward. He focused on goal and pretty much nothing else.

At Manure I feel as if he was rightly or wrongly forced into playing a more diverse approach, whereby he was there to contribute in other aspects.

He was no longer focusing purely on scoring goals, yet rather he was now contributing to the squad and supporting others in their own play.

Look at all the positions he has played during his time at Manure: forward; winger; number ten; a central midfielder. It took away his raw edge.

Some may argue that if he had stayed he would not have lost that edge, but arguably if Ferguson had utilised him properly he'd have developed.

We now talk about Messi and Ronaldo and Rooney could and maybe should have been in that bracket, however it panned out differently.

Would I have him here? Not on anywhere near £300k per week, probably not even near the £100k mark to be fair as it would be unmanageable.

Although, I still think he would add a lot to our squad in our present situation. I just hope it doesn't happen in the future purely on sentiment.

I remember an article about a young Messi back when Rooney still had the world at his feet. I'm pretty sure the title was something like ''Messi might be even better than Rooney''.

I remember an article about a young Messi back when Rooney still had the world at his feet. I'm pretty sure the title was something like ''Messi might be even better than Rooney''.
I remember truly believing that Rooney was going to be the best player in the world. At Euro 2004 (and the qualifying) he was sublime.

He left us and then went and scored a hat-trick in the Champions League for Manure against Fenerbache. The world was there for the taking.

He's not been a bad player or anywhere near a disappointment, just not as great as I think we all thought he could and should have been.

[QUOTE="PhilM, post: 3925011, member: 26411"]I remember truly believing that Rooney was going to be the best player in the world. At Euro 2004 (and the qualifying) he was sublime.

He left us and then went and scored a hat-trick in the Champions League for Manure against Fenerbache. The world was there for the taking.

He's not been a bad player or anywhere near a disappointment, just not as great as I think we all thought he could and should have been.[/QUOTE]
Me too. I've always believed he had the same footballing attributes as Maradona though not in the same abundance.

If you have the ability/talent to play multiple roles and it will help the side, you should...end of story. They didn't ruin him, they just took advantage of what was there to win matches. Anything else discredits his overall ability.

If you have the ability/talent to play multiple roles and it will help the side, you should...end of story. They didn't ruin him, they just took advantage of what was there to win matches. Anything else discredits his overall ability.
That's a matter of opinion. With ninety nine out of a hundred players I'd agree, although with some players you should play to their strengths.

Look at the likes of Messi and Ronaldo: their individual strengths and attributes were harnessed and subsequently they flourished!

Only now in the latter years of their individual careers are they having to adjust to a more adaptable role; Messi playing on the right for instance.

It's not for us to question Ferguson's and Manure's decisions, as it was for their own interests, but it's fair to consider the 'what if' situations.

Rooney may have had the ability/talent to play multiple roles, however that role may have diluted his overall potential in his strongest position.

That's not discrediting his overall ability, as you've got to be a very good player to do that. What I'm saying is he may have been a great player.

Maybe even the best player in the world had he played in his strongest position; moving around may have arguably jeopardised that.

Messi and Ronaldo have been a huge factor in their domestic clubs success. Could Rooney have helped Manure more? What about England?

In the end the needs of the the club definitely outweighs the needs of one player. I just wonder how good he may have became...

Lots of United fans are saying Rooney is done, finished etc. I really don't think he is. My worry is, at the moment, what is his motivation? I don't think he has any. If he was to change clubs maybe, then he could find a point to it all again.

I agree with most of that. But for every Ginola, Gazza there is an Andy Gray, or a Richard Gough.

Lots of United fans are saying Rooney is done, finished etc. I really don't think he is. My worry is, at the moment, what is his motivation? I don't think he has any. If he was to change clubs maybe, then he could find a point to it all again.

The lad has a lot to offer still but I am not sure how much longer for Manchester United. He slow their play down and with them signing Schwiensteiger he has taken the natural role I saw Rooney fulfilling.

I think we saw from the pre season game though, that he in many ways still a cut above our creative players.

The lad has a lot to offer still but I am not sure how much longer for Manchester United. He slow their play down and with them signing Schwiensteiger he has taken the natural role I saw Rooney fulfilling.

I think we saw from the pre season game though, that he in many ways still a cut above our creative players.
how? he only had about 10 touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back