Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been saying that for 3 years about Barkley,as much as it disappoints me I think this is as good as it get for him.and Rooney would not be a back up for anyone,he would take Barkley's postion and improve us and I don't care what people get payed.

This is so sad but it's true.

Rooney is no better than Barkley nowadays, one is young with potential to improve, other is basically at the end of his career and has been out of form for longer than Barkley.

United fans will be doing cartwheels when he leaves and United are currently behind us in the league.

If you offered United fans a swap deal they would all take Barkley... Not because Barkley is some footballing god but because Rooney is now in sharp decline.

Barkley will not improve. I think that is plainly obvious. He has had how many years/opportunities?

I'm never a big fan of 'going back' or signing older players, but if they are going to vastly improve the quality of our team and give us a better chance of winning games, then I'm all for it. Rooney falls into both my categories, however he is head and shoulders a better player than Barkley - and at 31 years old we will still get 2-3 years out of him (look at Barry). Cash in on Barkley - take the money and run. Improve the squad no end and gives us time to find a younger, long term replacement.

I would welcome Rooney back with open arms.

So are lots of players, most of which wont want silly money have not jibbed us off before or are a shadow of their former selves.
In fairness, you or anyone else haven't got the foggiest what he is going to cost. I agree I wouldn't pay silly money for him. But I'd take him on loan until the end of the season provided his wages were heavily, and I mean heavily subsidised by United.

Not everyone considers Rooney a traitor as you do and I'm glad my judgment isn't blinded by my hatred for him. I just want our team to improve and he will help us do that. To bring in a player of his quality (and yes I accept that he is not the force he was 18 months ago) who can cover both the number 10 or back up striker roles will probably cost £40m+ and unlikely to be available in January anyway. Rooney, on the right terms, can help fill a void short term.

and at 31 years old we will still get 2-3 years out of him (look at Barry).

In terms of body type, Rooney is not Barry. Some physical types aren't built to last in certain sports like others.

Chunky lads who've regular played since their teens have less chance of keeping to a high standard than slimmer lads with similar playing careers.

Personally I'd only offer Rooney a pay-as-you-play deal, and that at half-the-rate he's getting at Man U. Otherwise he's too expensive and too short-term.

Right, in light of Koeman's remarks.

I would've welcomed Rooney back a few years ago but now think he's past it. I went to Dunc's testimonial and he was our best player by a mile, however I think the time had passed.

However, if a combo of renewed enthusiasm at his boyhood club AND Koeman possibly being able to coax the best out of him came about, then if it happens I'd get behind him.

Personally though, I think it will never happen. He played his last Everton game in 2004.

Sad perhaps but a fit and on form Rooney would walk into our team. Even his 20 minute cameo last season you could see he was on a different level. Plus 31 is hardly finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back