Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ... !! never did I say `unforgiveable` you see thats what people like you do when you lose and argument .... deflect and leave

I will now take my leave toodle ooooh

People like me? Asian? What did you say about me ma?!

Tbf, I just like to ruffle feathers. No harm in that. Sparks good debates.

wdw-good-sport-award-mickey-mouse-disney-pin-6548-4a7235442bdc769423665a7b8ae37130.jpg

How much would you value a player in the dressing room who is a proven winner, won everything there is to win domestically and has the desire to prove everyone wrong with his boyhood club and bring success to them?

He might not be the Rooney in his prime but he can offer so much more than anyone else we have brought in. Plus along with Williams klassen jags Barry we have a squad starting to grow with leaders. So even if he isn't going to come in and rip the league up, in the dressing room and media wise he can offer the club so much more than a cheap striker from Spain or a few players from bottom half of the league teams.

We need proven winners on the pitch though, and he doesn't have the ability to get in to the side. That's the big issue with him, he's not good enough and we'll just end up with another over-paid has been, blocking the path of younger players with more potential. We should be past that as a club now.

He's also not as model professional. By all accounts he hasn't looked after his body, and drinking, smoking etc. Are these really the examples we want to parade to the younger lads?

People put too much stock in this mythical 'he'll be great in the dressing room' these days. Just because someone is older doesn't mean they're going to be a positive influence. I remember reading Jimmy Greaves' book, and when he was at West Ham I think it was, and all he did was complain about the other players and go around with a bad attitude shouting at them 'to feet, to feet' because he no longer had the pace or movement he once had and his frustration spilled over in to his relationship with other players. There are loads of stories about older players like that.

If he does come I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season, but it just seems like a massive step backwards.

Let's not forget Rooney was only a teenager, just had a wonderful summer with the England squad in the Euro's before getting injured. Everton had just narrowly missed relegation and were in serious financial problems. We struggled to maker two veery cheap signings, in Bent and Cahill (turned out to be very good signings, but no one's was excited by them when they arrived). There was also serious back room issues. The new chief executive resigned after only a few weeks and one of the share owners, tried to oust Kenwright.

Everton were the favourites fort relegation and got stuffed 1-6 on the first game of the season. Both the England Manager and his Agent, wanted him out. The biggest club in the country wants him, will maker him rich behind his dreams. He will likely win loads of trophies. Every 18 year old in the world would move.

I don't think we should still hold this against him. I'm not sure if Rooney should come back or not, but for football reasons not because he left under different circumstances back in 2004.

This is accurate.

Sad what happened to Speed, but he left us in far more [Poor language removed] than Rooney did... He was captain, refused to play because of reasons "he could not say as it would damage the club" (if you don't want to say anything, so nothing, none of this cryptic bullshit that led to countless rumours ever more) and left us part way through only his 2nd season with us, a season when we struggled and stayed up on the last day.

Rooney left in the summer when we were already safe and his fee saved us from financial ruin. He also played 2 whole seasons with us, more than Speed ever did, and played more games for us than Speed did too.

Hate Rooney all you like, but let's not rewrite history.

I am not rewriting history though.

Speed left without exposing what was going on at the club, protecting a proper legend of the club as well.

It hurt at the time like.

Let's not forget Rooney was only a teenager, just had a wonderful summer with the England squad in the Euro's before getting injured. Everton had just narrowly missed relegation and were in serious financial problems. We struggled to maker two veery cheap signings, in Bent and Cahill (turned out to be very good signings, but no one's was excited by them when they arrived). There was also serious back room issues. The new chief executive resigned after only a few weeks and one of the share owners, tried to oust Kenwright.

Everton were the favourites fort relegation and got stuffed 1-6 on the first game of the season. Both the England Manager and his Agent, wanted him out. The biggest club in the country wants him, will maker him rich behind his dreams. He will likely win loads of trophies. Every 18 year old in the world would move.

I don't think we should still hold this against him. I'm not sure if Rooney should come back or not, but for football reasons not because he left under different circumstances back in 2004.

So you think its OK to leave the club you "love" on the last day possible when they were facing supposed certain doom?

A proper fan would try and stay to get them out of the mess they were in. He would at least give them one go at it.

I don't have an issue with him for leaving as such, its his life, his career and his choice. I do however have an issue with people calling him an Evertonian who loves the club, he obviously doesn't. He has a soft spot for us because he supported us as a kid. I don't really think its possible for footballers to properly support a team anyway.

Sad what happened to Speed, but he left us in far more [Poor language removed] than Rooney did... He was captain, refused to play because of reasons "he could not say as it would damage the club" (if you don't want to say anything, so nothing, none of this cryptic bullshit that led to countless rumours ever more) and left us part way through only his 2nd season with us, a season when we struggled and stayed up on the last day.

Rooney left in the summer when we were already safe and his fee saved us from financial ruin. He also played 2 whole seasons with us, more than Speed ever did, and played more games for us than Speed did too.

Hate Rooney all you like, but let's not rewrite history.
He didn't refuse to play. He asked to be transferred. He was far to professional to play football for the mess that was Everton at the time. Everyone who sang Gary 'Shithouse' Speed, including myself, should be embarrassed by it given the story's that came out years later. He took all the abuse to protect a legend of the club. Rooney is not half the Evertonian Speed was and never will be.

So you think its OK to leave the club you "love" on the last day possible when they were facing supposed certain doom?

A proper fan would try and stay to get them out of the mess they were in. He would at least give them one go at it.

I don't have an issue with him for leaving as such, its his life, his career and his choice. I do however have an issue with people calling him an Evertonian who loves the club, he obviously doesn't. He has a soft spot for us because he supported us as a kid. I don't really think its possible for footballers to properly support a team anyway.

completely contradicts everything else you are saying!

Are you talking guys about Gary Speed or Wayne Rooney?

I think you mean Rooney, but can't be certain,as it could literally apply to both.

Except Speed left his boyhood club MID SEASON when we were struggling with relegation, and left for mighty Newcastle where he won nothing, while we stayed up on the last day of the season.

Rooney left after we had survived relegation, and went to Man Utd where he went on to win the lot.

I think you mean Rooney, but I genuinely can't be certain.

Last edited:

I can only guess what it's like being too good for the club you've supported since year dot, and being offered a shed load to play for the dominant team in the league at a ridiculous age.

I can also only guess that if I was at a club that used to be great and now isn't anywhere near as dominant, I'd not really give one any more.

I can also only guess that if my kids wanted me back at the team I always supported, plus I had the chance to make things right with my own people, I'd work my plums off - I'd never be as motivated.

So is everyone saying they wouldn't want a highly motivated Wayne Rooney at the club he supported as a boy. I genuinely think with that opportunity, plus the chance for his kinds to see him play and play well for us - he'd be a serious player for us (if not our best).

Are you talking guys about Gary Speed or Wayne Rooney?

I think you mean Rooney, but can't be certain,as it could literally apply to both.

Except Speed left his boyhood club MID SEASON when we were struggling with relegation, and left for mighty Newcastle where he won nothing, while we stayed up on the last day of the season.

Rooney left after after we had survived relegation, and went to Man Utd where he went on to win the lot.

I think you mean Rooney, but I genuinely can't be certain.

Speed left to protect Kendall though did he not?

Rooney left because he thought he was too good for us (and was to be fair).

He didn't refuse to play. He asked to be transferred. He was far to professional to play football for the mess that was Everton at the time. Everyone who sang Gary 'Shithouse' Speed, including myself, should be embarrassed by it given the story's that came out years later. He took all the abuse to protect a legend of the club. Rooney is not half the Evertonian Speed was and never will be.

Anyone who said Gary "Shithouse" Speed should be embarrassed, but you are well within your right to call Rooney all the things under the sun, greedy, Fat, wife's a whore, granny shagger, etc.

Rooney who was always a hot head and, he took much more stick than Speed did, but he should just take it on the chin? It just shows it hurt him more and that was his way of coping.

Also, he did refuse to play, West Ham away, and in a season were we were odds on to go down, he was "too professional" to play for us? Bullshit. Even Bilic stayed with West Ham till he knew they were safe,literally 6 months earlier.

Some weird skewed logic in here today.

I can only guess what it's like being too good for the club you've supported since year dot, and being offered a shed load to play for the dominant team in the league at a ridiculous age.

I can also only guess that if I was at a club that used to be great and now isn't anywhere near as dominant, I'd not really give one any more.

I can also only guess that if my kids wanted me back at the team I always supported, plus I had the chance to make things right with my own people, I'd work my plums off - I'd never be as motivated.

So is everyone saying they wouldn't want a highly motivated Wayne Rooney at the club he supported as a boy. I genuinely think with that opportunity, plus the chance for his kinds to see him play and play well for us - he'd be a serious player for us (if not our best).

Lovely, apart from the fact that he just may not be capable of it anymore. Everything points towards that being the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back