Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
most people who want him back want him back for what he would bring the squad, you keep going on about how he treated the club and if 'he loved' the club he wouldn't have etc.. so yea it does contradict it! ;)

That's it though, what on earth does he bring to the squad? He is finished!

Seeing as Speed is in the conversation I would not have took him back when he was turning out for Bolton either. Not because he was a boyhood blue, not because his kids wanted him to, not because there was a nice redemption story though but solely because he was finished at that point.

And you're not willing to take that risk, on a loan?

the upside if I'm right is way way bigger than the downside if you're right, no?

No not at all. Luckily for you I am not the manager though.

He is an utterly divisive figure. He will need to be brilliant from the start otherwise the knives will be out for him. From there you get in house fighting from our fans etc and you get a Martinez situation where he is either loved or hated.

He is totally not worth the effort in my opinion, even if he was playing for free. I see zero upside in him in 2017.

5 years ago obviously this would be a different conversation.

I understand the feeling that it would be a step backwards. But honestly, he's still good. I just think he was a bad fit with Man U and frankly, Man U wasn't very good much of the year. If it's a loan deal, it would improve the club as long as it didn't prevent us from signing anyone else.

He'll either come here or he won't
It'll either work or it won't

We're going round and round in circles

Maybe time to 'suspend the betting' on this as it were.

Speed left to protect Kendall though did he not?

Rooney left because he thought he was too good for us (and was to be fair).

Thats the story, but let's use your logic, and pretend it's you...

You are captain and arguably the best player for the team you love and you fall out with the manager who is a club legend, for something that happened behind closed doors, while your team heads towards relegation.

Do you:

a) Stay and fight, make sure the team stays up, then leave, like a professional and a fan, never saying a word one way or another about said club legend, as even the merest hint of a negative comment, will lead to rumours and gossip and basically be a huge smear on his character regardless of the detail.

Or

b) Refuse to play and ask to leave because it's unprofessional to stay, and say that there is a secret issue that is making make this decision, an issue you will never speak of, as it would hurt the man and the club, and get out as soon as you can despite the position the club is in.

Fan, professional, you decide...

No not at all. Luckily for you I am not the manager though.

He is an utterly divisive figure. He will need to be brilliant from the start otherwise the knives will be out for him. From there you get in house fighting from our fans etc and you get a Martinez situation where he is either loved or hated.

He is totally not worth the effort in my opinion, even if he was playing for free. I see zero upside in him in 2017.

5 years ago obviously this would be a different conversation.

So 5 years ago he'd be worth dividing the fans? If it's true that we as a fan base can't get over him being a bit of a t!t when he was in his late teens (Who isn't btw) then don't have him at all. But he's been pretty grown up about it the last 5-7 years.

Plus for someone who's past it, he started 15 games for Man U last year in the PL - 5 goals & 5 assists. That makes him better than our second best player attacking stats wise, Right?

images

Blue enough for me
Still good for poaching the odd goal. And Moyes and Mourinho played him all over the place.
Still worth a punt

So you think its OK to leave the club you "love" on the last day possible when they were facing supposed certain doom?

A proper fan would try and stay to get them out of the mess they were in. He would at least give them one go at it.

I don't have an issue with him for leaving as such, its his life, his career and his choice. I do however have an issue with people calling him an Evertonian who loves the club, he obviously doesn't. He has a soft spot for us because he supported us as a kid. I don't really think its possible for footballers to properly support a team anyway.

Certain doom is the club going bankrupt surely.

Anyone who said Gary "Shithouse" Speed should be embarrassed, but you are well within your right to call Rooney all the things under the sun, greedy, Fat, wife's a whore, granny shagger, etc.

Rooney who was always a hot head and, he took much more stick than Speed did, but he should just take it on the chin? It just shows it hurt him more and that was his way of coping.

Also, he did refuse to play, West Ham away, and in a season were we were odds on to go down, he was "too professional" to play for us? Bullshit. Even Bilic stayed with West Ham till he knew they were safe,literally 6 months earlier.

Some weird skewed logic in here today.
Why so aggressive matey? Not everyone is going to agree with you on things

So 5 years ago he'd be worth dividing the fans? If it's true that we as a fan base can't get over him being a bit of a t!t when he was in his late teens (Who isn't btw) then don't have him at all. But he's been pretty grown up about it the last 5-7 years.

Plus for someone who's past it, he started 15 games for Man U last year in the PL - 5 goals & 5 assists. That makes him better than our second best player attacking stats wise, Right?

He was a world class talent 5 years ago so yeah maybe. Personally I would not have took him even then but the conversation would be heart over head back then. in 2017 neither my heart or my head would want him.

I don't do stats. They are incredibly flawed when it comes to football. I just use my eyes and he looks absolutely finished.

images

Blue enough for me
Still good for poaching the odd goal. And Moyes and Mourinho played him all over the place.
Still worth a punt

And where would we be playing him?

He was played all over the place (by two of the best managers of the modern era by the way) because he was no longer dynamic enough to be a striker and not quite good enough to be a midfielder any more. Hence we he does not get a game for an incredibly poor England side either.

Realistically who a player supports should not be a reason for signing them.

That's it though, what on earth does he bring to the squad? He is finished!

Seeing as Speed is in the conversation I would not have took him back when he was turning out for Bolton either. Not because he was a boyhood blue, not because his kids wanted him to, not because there was a nice redemption story though but solely because he was finished at that point.

A veteran player who played for one of the best managers ever. Was world class and someone to work with the very young promising squad we currently have. a loan with united covering some of his wages has zero downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back