Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asked my mate who watches united week in week out, what he thought. To be honest he's a sound lad, hates the RS with a passion but always 'has respect' for Everton.
He said what many of us have suspected. There has been a gradual decline in Rooney' form over the last 2 years. Admittedly being played in many positions by united, in a team that has struggled for form and cohesion in its play hasn't helped. He said he could understand us going for Rooney under the old regime (kenwright's ownership) for sentimental value to lift the supporters,but not now, where we are going as a club and the players we have brought in, Rooney doesn't fit. I asked him if he thought Rooney could be motivated once more by playing for Everton, he was in no doubt he would give his all, but physically he's not able to influence games as he once did.

What he did in the past is irrelevant. It's what he can offer now that matters.

Out of interest would you have had Bastian Schweinsteiger? Ticks all the same boxes, same stage of his career yet ends up in the States where a player like Rooney probably should at this stage.

If he wasn't a "blue" would anyone be clamouring to get him here?

It's not irrelevant at all. some senior leadership is much needed in a young ambitious squad. He knows how to win and he has experience doing just that.

He was a world class talent 5 years ago so yeah maybe. Personally I would not have took him even then but the conversation would be heart over head back then. in 2017 neither my heart or my head would want him.

I don't do stats. They are incredibly flawed when it comes to football. I just use my eyes and he looks absolutely finished.

Takes me back to my motivation point. He looks like an experienced player who isn't motivated to perform. Having his kids watch him play for Everton, with his mate (and still his idol) in the coaching set up, there's his motivation. Moreover, there's no downside, its a year loan.

Very interesting this - I don't think I've ever seen a potential signing split the fanbase so thoroughly.

Clearly still an awful lot of hurt around

Asking a United fans opinion is pointless imo, their answer will be riddled with bias, so they can justify him wanting out.

Nobody knows for sure how this will turn out.
Yeah like if a Chelsea fan asked me about Lukaku I'd be like 'nah mate he's mince, can't control a pass, doesn't work hard enough, misses chances' whilst quietly crying inside because I know he's boss

Very interesting this - I don't think I've ever seen a potential signing split the fanbase so thoroughly.

Clearly still an awful lot of hurt around

Absolutely nothing to do with hurt or holding a grudge. It was 2004 and we were a financial basket case. Anyone still fuming at him needs to get out more.

It's entirely about whether he's still good enough for the physicality of PL and I have my doubts.

So you think its OK to leave the club you "love" on the last day possible when they were facing supposed certain doom?

A proper fan would try and stay to get them out of the mess they were in. He would at least give them one go at it.

I don't have an issue with him for leaving as such, its his life, his career and his choice. I do however have an issue with people calling him an Evertonian who loves the club, he obviously doesn't. He has a soft spot for us because he supported us as a kid. I don't really think its possible for footballers to properly support a team anyway.

Do I think its right? All I have written is I can understand what happened. He is a professional footballer. Lots of players leave the club they support. Linker left Leicester for us. Rooney was an 18 year old kid with the World at his feet. Everyone telling him he should leave. Also I don't think he was getting on with Moyes at the time, if reports were right.
Would you say the same thing about a Tranmere Fan who played for them and had the chance to go to a bigger club?

I doubt he had much control of the last day leaving thing, just when the deal was done. It was a long time ago, the club is in such a different place now.

The money we got for him, most likely saved us, things were pretty bad back then the we could of gone the way of Leeds. As it went, we actually had a really good season finishing 4th. My point was that I can understand why he's of wanted to leave. Rooney went on to win everything at club level and made a fortune. Maybe had we not had years of bad management both at boardroom and club manager level. He might of stayed a little longer. He was always going to leave.

I realise him going broke a lot of hearts, but let it go. In football terms it was a lifetime ago, there are professionals playing at Everton that were in nappies when he left.

Yeah like if a Chelsea fan asked me about Lukaku I'd be like 'nah mate he's mince, can't control a pass, doesn't work hard enough, misses chances' whilst quietly crying inside because I know he's boss

Fair enough.

Most of Unites games are live on TV, you dont need to speak to a United fan to find out about their players.

All the talk abar sigurdssons main asset being his set pieces, think rooney has got a good set piece in him, you give me Sigurdsson for 35-40 mill or rooney on loan/free I would take rooney every single day of the year

We need Wayne Rooney. He wins. He knows how to. He knows how to train, prepare, focus. He has the knowledge and experience that no one else apart from the manager has. He's played against the best for the biggest prizes and won.

Show me another player we have with that knowledge, experience and is also a local lad......no one spring to mind....didn't think so.

Look at the bigger picture, even Neville brought a "will win" attitude that was a head changer for a lot of the then Everton team. Rooney brings more than 90 minutes each week this isn't FIFA. Real people bring influenced by a real quality player with real winning mentality and belief, we need someone like that on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back