Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I guarantee that every person on this forum will have done the same as Rooney when he was 17 and joined Manchester United. Once more, I guarantee that every person on this forum would encourage their son to do the same if they had a lad in Rooney's situation when he was 17. It's too romantic to think otherwise.

There's simply no way you can guarantee either of those things, not everyone is the same, be very boring if we were.

rooney-badge_crop_exact.jpg

I am not really in favour of this save for two factors. Firstly the kudos this gives us as Rooney is a world-wide name in football and would potentially give us a bigger profile and secondly the possibility that we meet wage demands of (say) £200K per week (for 2 years with an option for a 3rd, 4th say) only because, for £20M (first two years) and no transfer fee, it's a win-win situation. If we took a gamble on a Giroud or similar it would be a hefty transfer fee and well over £100K wages so.. We've just committed £17M on Sandro (£5M transfer and something like £60K a week for 4 years) remember.

I am doubtful about it because I am not sure if he still has the legs and the will to perform at the highest level though no-one ever doubts his commitment.

...I guarantee that almost every person on this forum will have done the same as Rooney when he was 17 and joined Manchester United. Once more, I guarantee that almost every person on this forum would encourage their son to do the same if they had a lad in Rooney's situation when he was 17. It's too romantic to think otherwise.
Agreed, but not the way he acted when he got there. It was as though he'd eradicated Everton from his CV altogether.
However I'm prepared to forgive and forget, the reason I don't want him back is I don't think he is physically up to the challenge of a high tempo pressing game that RK prefers. Naturally I hope I'm proved wrong if and when he signs.

Pros:

Quality – ok, not a good season last year but (if he can get fit) he still has it. Remember that semi against us? Head and shoulders above everyone.
Goals – Bar last season, he’s got double figures since 03/04 – could add at least 10 more to our overall tally?
Set Pieces - Still one of the best (see game at Stoke last season for more details)
Experience – has loads of it and most of it is good
Pedigree – absolutely won’t [Poor language removed] himself at Anfield
Profile – It’s a statement, he’s known everywhere from China to Chile and has ten times more followers on twitter than Everton ffs
Evertonian – Yeah, I know he kissed his badge for them after getting dogs abuse and whatever, but he also has Everton ingrained into his make-up (hence returning for Duncan’s testimonial and bringing his kids up wearing Everton jerseys)

Cons:

Cost – How much are we actually paying him? How much of a return on investment will we get?
Desire – Does he still have enough of it?
Fitness – How much has necking Desperados in Ibiza every summer done him in?
Younger lads – Could he end up stunting the progress of some of our younger talent?

That’s just quickly written off the top of my head, feel free to add or call me on anything you think is nonsense where you see fit.

#BalGUM
Quality- he certainly doesn't still have it based on a good 2 years of evidence
Goals- he'll struggle to get near 10
Set pieces- literally one fluke free kick went in, usually he just hits the wall
Pedigree- he has a poor record at anfield does he not
Profile- let's be honest people know him the world over because of Utd, they will no longer give a hoot about him

...I guarantee that almost every person on this forum will have done the same as Rooney when he was 17 and joined Manchester United. Once more, I guarantee that almost every person on this forum would encourage their son to do the same if they had a lad in Rooney's situation when he was 17. It's too romantic to think otherwise.

I don't blame him one bit for leaving and really find it bizarre that grown men are still upset about something that a teenager done 13 years ago.

But hypothetically, if I had a son playing for everton, and he told me he fancied a move to United, I'd tell him he's disloyal and an idiot. I'd be utterly distraught he'd want to leave and under no circumstances would I be able to encourage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back