Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure how that changes anything?

When he said that he probably thought that "massive Evertonian" once a blue always a blue Rooney wouldnt force a transfer through because he "loved" the club. So he could afford to knock bids back as he didnt want to leave us.

But no he forced our hand on transfer deadline day the very first chance he got.

Did he hold a gun to Boss Blue Bill's head mate

I would take Rooney back, it bothers me that at the moment we have no back up to Barkley's position. When he doesn't play we have no one who is creative on the middle of the pitch. Rooney could do that for us, also there are some games when we don't need two holding in the middle of the park, so we could play Rooney, Barkley and Gana and be a bit more attacking.

Sadly I just don't think that's the case. Everton fans wouldn't buy them, and he'll fall off the face of the earth if he leaves Utd, as far as global consumers are concerned.
Why is that ? because he'd be playing for that totally unheard of club from footballs backwaters "lil ole everton"

Small club mentality right there mate.

Last 3 seasons 48 goals from 118
Or 4 yrs 64 from 155
Says different.

For a player shunted all over the pitch thats a pretty impressive return by any standards.
That's a pretty Davek way of putting it - "But Martinez got 72 points that one time, nevermind the near-relegation fights and poor form for the next 2 seasons. He was amazing."

He was a lot worse than Slots Nicely was last season. Didn't get into double figures for anything last season and played 30-odd games. Barely got to 12 or something the season before.

He's also a striker, always has been, always will be - if we get him to 'replace'/rest Barkley I'd be amazingly disappointed.

That's a pretty Davek way of putting it - "But Martinez got 72 points that one time, nevermind the near-relegation fights and poor form for the next 2 seasons. He was amazing."

He was a lot worse than Slots Nicely was last season. Didn't get into double figures for anything last season and played 30-odd games. Barely got to 12 or something the season before.

He's also a striker, always has been, always will be - if we get him to 'replace'/rest Barkley I'd be amazingly disappointed.
Each to their own mate...it was a reply to him done nothing for 3/4 years....they are his stats.
Btw he scored 15 last season.

The only way we should ever consider this is if he comes cap in hand and wants to make recompense to the club. Listen he did us over in a big way, that is not bitterness - he was always going to leave given his talent (which he never fulfilled to the extent he should have), its the nature of how he left that he needs to recompense for. I remember it well, we finished the season after getting hammered 5-1 at home by old City (who finished a place ahead of us) with the lowest points total of a team ever to stay up in the PL. We had the worst form and results in the league even more so then the teams that finished below us that year.

There was a gloom around Goodision we still traipsed down to the stadium to give our support to a team featuring Mark Pembridge, Scott Gemmill and Tobias Linderoth. That summer we were broke, we signed Marcus Bent for nothing and scrimped money together for Tim Cahill - Championship players at the time. We also lost one of our best players - another snide in Tomas Radzinski.

The one glimmer of hope we had was Wayne Rooney, every time the lad took the field we knew we had what was going to be the worlds best player, he gave hope where we had none and the best thing of all is that he was one of our own, he grew up knowing the hope you had of walking down to Goodison for a match, wanting the latest new jersey, knowing the legends that had walked the corridors of Bellfield and Goodsion - he got it.

The pride we had that an Everton boy played in a way that the world admired and coveted - for us, made us so proud, despite the turgid position we found ourselves in we had hope. Like i say he would leave at some point but at 18 we could expect 2-3 years to give something to the club that nurtured him for a years, his club, his families club and to the people he grew up with in the city who now idolized him. He went on that summer and starred for England and dazzled at the Euros.

We know what happened next, whatever happened that summer and we know about: whispers in ears at England, Stretford etc. He completely pissed all over the club - i dont say that lightly. I could always understand him leaving but at 18, he could have given us a couple of seasons. But regardless and i have said this consistently over the years: it wasn't about leaving for me it was how he left. He sat on the offer of a contract of 50k a week for the entire summer, and in the last few weeks of the summer he asked to leave. Now that is significant to me. Many may not remember just how absolutely skinned we were back then. How bad we actually were and what a poor squad we had.

He signed for Man U on the 1st of Sep four hours before the transfer window shut. He left us with no time to improve our own squad and leading us a merry dance all summer. We were one of favorites for relegation the following year and he didn't care, not only did he walk out on us, he deceived us all summer sitting on a contract, to the optimum point he could walk away, he left us with no time to spend 27mill that windfall could have at least gave us a fighting chance to improve the squad. He left for relegation for all he knew, that was the most likely predicted outcome at the time.

That is the reason i will never forgive him, its not about leaving (though i think he could gave us a few seasons), its not about the way he acted when he came back. Its always about the nature of how he left and what he could have done to Everton by how he left that i will never forgive for. We could very easily have been relegated for all he cared. Unforgivable in my eyes. Time passes and wounds heal, but the principal and context of what he did must always be remembered especially at a club that has high ethics and morality such as Everton.

Lets jump to the present day, his legs are getting tired, he cant get a place in the team at Man U, he is being booed for England. He is on a contract of 300k a week at Man U, he arguably never turned into the player we all thought he would. Hes on hard times. Those he chose to lift his skirt to as an 18 year old, now want to shun him. The media pick up on the narrative wouldn't it be a romantic end to his career to finish up with his boyhood club. Forget it, we are not in the business of providing a romantic narrative for Rooney or the media. He jibbed us over more then 16 years ago, coldly in a business manner and now people are talking about wouldn't it be lovely to go back to his boyhood club. He will look for what about 75k a week, which is a massive drop on his Utd salary and we should feel grateful? No chance.

The only way he should play for Everton again and the only way we should even entertain him would be if he came to us and said, i really want to play for Everton, i left under a cloud and want to come back to recompense, money isnt an issue - ive made loads and i want to just contribute whatever i can for the club. That is the only way he should ever be allowed through the door. I dont think that will ever happen, he has a whole marketing team behind him who will be looking to make their last mint by flogging an old horse in some lucrative move. When the whole football world eventually turns his back on him, when Stretford and his marketing people no longer have a use for him. He can forget about ever coming back or being respected wherever blue is worn.

So in summary no from me.

Last edited:
Just as an aside from the 'would you/wouldn't you?' conversation, IF he was to sign permanently in January what sort of fee do people think he might command?

It's a weird one, where his reputation clearly exceeds his abilities, but there's still no doubt that he'd be a massive signing.

Each to their own mate...it was a reply to him done nothing for 3/4 years....they are his stats.
Btw he scored 15 last season.
CL in 2015/16 - 1 goal, 4 appearances, 0 assists.
PL in 2015/16 - 8 goals, 28 appearances, 6 assists.

According to WhoScored.com, so don't exactly know how accurate it is, and it doesn't say any of the mickey mouse cups either, but I personally prefer to disregard them.

Did he hold a gun to Boss Blue Bill's head mate

No idea, you dont keep players whop want to move though. It very rarely happens, he wasnt wanting to sign a new contract so we got a decent deal for him (I still dont think it was a great deal) instead of letting it go to a tribunal.

Just as an aside from the 'would you/wouldn't you?' conversation, IF he was to sign permanently in January what sort of fee do people think he might command?

It's a weird one, where his reputation clearly exceeds his abilities, but there's still no doubt that he'd be a massive signing.
£1 or we are getting ripped off.

Why is that ? because he'd be playing for that totally unheard of club from footballs backwaters "lil ole everton"

Small club mentality right there mate.

Rooney has a fanbase because he plays for Man Utd. Not because he is Wayne Rooney.

People who dont support Everton are not going to start buying Everton shirts if we sign him.

Rooney has a fanbase because he plays for Man Utd. Not because he is Wayne Rooney.

People who dont support Everton are not going to start buying Everton shirts if we sign him.

there will be alot of press attention initially, im not sure how that would help us..but maybe it would

CL in 2015/16 - 1 goal, 4 appearances, 0 assists.
PL in 2015/16 - 8 goals, 28 appearances, 6 assists.

According to WhoScored.com, so don't exactly know how accurate it is, and it doesn't say any of the mickey mouse cups either, but I personally prefer to disregard them.
15 i n all comps...thats what they are all judged by.
Similar to Rom actually. Still impressive tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back