Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way we should ever consider this is if he comes cap in hand and wants to make recompense to the club. Listen he did us over in a big way, that is not bitterness - he was always going to leave given his talent (which he never fulfilled to the extent he should have), its the nature of how he left that he needs to recompense for. I remember it well, we finished the season after getting hammered 5-1 at home by old City (who finished a place ahead of us) with the lowest points total of a team ever to stay up in the PL. We had the worst form and results in the league even more so then the teams that finished below us that year.

There was a gloom around Goodision we still traipsed down to the stadium to give our support to a team featuring Mark Pembridge, Scott Gemmill and Tobias Linderoth. That summer we were broke, we signed Marcus Bent for nothing and scrimped money together for Tim Cahill - Championship players at the time. We also lost one of our best players - another snide in Tomas Radzinski.

The one glimmer of hope we had was Wayne Rooney, every time the lad took the field we knew we had what was going to be the worlds best player, he gave hope where we had none and the best thing of all is that he was one of our own, he grew up knowing the hope you had of walking down to Goodison for a match, wanting the latest new jersey, knowing the legends that had walked the corridors of Bellfield and Goodsion - he got it.

The pride we had that an Everton boy played in a way that the world admired and coveted - for us, made us so proud, despite the turgid position we found ourselves in we had hope. Like i say he would leave at some point but at 18 we could expect 2-3 years to give something to the club that nurtured him for a years, his club, his families club and to the people he grew up with in the city who now idolized him. He went on that summer and starred for England and dazzled at the Euros.

We know what happened next, whatever happened that summer and we know about: whispers in ears at England, Stretford etc. He completely pissed all over the club - i dont say that lightly. I could always understand him leaving but at 18, he could have given us a couple of seasons. But regardless and i have said this consistently over the years: it wasn't about leaving for me it was how he left. He sat on the offer of a contract of 50k a week for the entire summer, and in the last few weeks of the summer he asked to leave. Now that is significant to me. Many may not remember just how absolutely skinned we were back then. How bad we actually were and what a poor squad we had.

He signed for Man U on the 1st of Sep four hours before the transfer window shut. He left us with no time to improve our own squad and leading us a merry dance all summer. We were one of favorites for relegation the following year and he didn't care, not only did he walk out on us, he deceived us all summer sitting on a contract, to the optimum point he could walk away, he left us with no time to spend 27mill that windfall could have at least gave us a fighting chance to improve the squad. He left for relegation for all he knew, that was the most likely predicted outcome at the time.

That is the reason i will never forgive him, its not about leaving (though i think he could gave us a few seasons), its not about the way he acted when he came back. Its always about the nature of how he left and what he could have done to Everton by how he left that i will never forgive for. We could very easily have been relegated for all he cared. Unforgivable in my eyes. Time passes and wounds heal, but the principal and context of what he did must always be remembered especially at a club that has high ethics and morality such as Everton.

Lets jump to the present day, his legs are getting tired, he cant get a place in the team at Man U, he is being booed for England. He is on a contract of 300k a week at Man U, he arguably never turned into the player we all thought he would. Hes on hard times. Those he chose to lift his skirt to as an 18 year old, now want to shun him. The media pick up on the narrative wouldn't it be a romantic end to his career to finish up with his boyhood club. Forget it, we are not in the business of providing a romantic narrative for Rooney or the media. He jibbed us over more then 16 years ago, coldly in a business manner and now people are talking about wouldn't it be lovely to go back to his boyhood club. He will look for what about 75k a week, which is a massive drop on his Utd salary and we should feel grateful? No chance.

The only way he should play for Everton again and the only way we should even entertain him would be if he came to us and said, i really want to play for Everton, i left under a cloud and want to come back to recompense, money isnt an issue - ive made loads and i want to just contribute whatever i can for the club. That is the only way he should ever be allowed through the door. I dont think that will ever happen, he has a whole marketing team behind him who will be looking to make their last mint by flogging an old horse in some lucrative move. When the whole football world eventually turns his back on him, when Stretford and his marketing people no longer have a use for him. He can forget about ever coming back or being respected wherever blue is worn.

So in summary no from me.

Well said Caught. He left us out to dry when we needed him most. He can buy his kids as many kits as he wants but he can't still claim to love us after he took the piss for a whole summer and left us to be relegated.

Well said Caught. He left us out to dry when we needed him most. He can buy his kids as many kits as he wants but he can't still claim to love us after he took the piss for a whole summer and left us to be relegated.

the money we got from his sale allowed us to make signings and we finished 4th the season after he left!

Genuinely I'm not arsed about him leaving anymore. I'm over it and I have been for a long time.

It hurt at the time, but he had the world at his feet and we had just finished 17th

He may support Everton, but he put his career first

Fine

Over the years the rift has healed, at least for me it has.

As with any signing, if he would improve us, I'm ok with it. I think whoever makes the decision on this should consider his age, the cost of any deal and the likelihood of him declining further in the near future, but he would give us options up front and at number 10 - both positions we have no real credible alternative to the current incumbent of the shirts.

Genuinely I'm not arsed about him leaving anymore. I'm over it and I have been for a long time.

It hurt at the time, but he had the world at his feet and we had just finished 17th

Fine

As with any signing, if he would improve us, I'm ok with it. I think whoever makes the decision on this should consider his age, the cost of any deal and the likelihood of him declining further in the near future, but he would give us options up front and at number 10 - both positions we have no real credible alternative to the current incumbent of the shirts.

THIS!

Moyes on Rooney in 2010:

"I don't think we were ready for Wayne when he came on the scene," he added. "I can understand his feelings at the time. Everybody here wanted to keep Wayne but we probably weren't ready to keep him. Are we better now? Yes, definitely. As far as I'm concerned, I would welcome him back and I think maybe at the end of Wayne's career he might want to come back to play for Everton again. Who knows?"

Moyes sued Rooney and HarperCollins, the publisher of My Story So Far, over allegations that he leaked to the local press details of a conversation they held following revelations that the then teenager had visited a brothel. They eventually reached an out-of-court settlement in 2008.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/feb/20/david-moyes-wayne-rooney-everton

Fine

The Rooney that left Everton was a very different person and equally the Everton he left was a very different Everton.

Not having read through the whole thread, I remember when The Echo published this over the summer and thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if we had been in discussions about a deal back then. The latest stuff about his future makes me believe this has been being discussed for six months or more

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-its-time-everton-11369723

Greg O'Keeffe on why Rooney's return would be a powerful statement of intent from Farhad Moshiri
  • Greg O'Keeffe on why Rooney's return would be a powerful statement of intent from Farhad Moshiri
JS69350636.jpg

Wayne Rooney was back in blue for Everton last pre-season - here's why they should make it permanent this summer
Everton and Farhad Moshiri are in the market for a statement this summer.

The Blues new majority investor's current priority is finding a world-class manager capable of taking the club forward.

It's that task which should be consuming all the time and energy of Goodison's movers and shakers.

But once the new man is in place, matters switch to statements of intent on the pitch - and the players who will form the first wave of the Moshiri revolution.

Cash, perhaps more than ever before, is going to be splashed .

There's one potential signing that would emphatically announce Everton's newly galvanised ambition.

WAZMUND.jpg

Rooney celebrates his wonder goal to help Everton beat Arsenal at Goodison in October 2002

Remember the name , Clive Tydesley once instructed the wider footballing world. There was no way they could forget it.

Wayne Rooney.

That's the name, should it be splashed over the back page of the ECHO and printed on thousands of royal blue shirts this summer, that will get pulses racing and chests beating.

Rooney's return while still in his pomp; arguably never better in his mature transition to central midfield, would grab the attention of the world.

If there was, in the end, a degree of wishful thinking about Everton being able to attract the Old Trafford-bound Jose Mourinho as their new manager, isn't the idea of taking Rooney in the opposite direction still a bit fanciful?

Not really. That spirit of ambition, the insistence that Everton are one of England's biggest clubs still, is nothing to be mocked.

CS86095456.jpg

Why shouldn't Everton aim for the best?

In the past, aside from lingering rancour after his departure back in 2004, the obvious obstacle to re-singing Rooney was financial.

How could the Toffees ever begin to compete with the England star's salary, believed to be around £260,000-per-week? There are not many clubs that could.

Whether Everton would be able to match it now is still unsure.

Moshiri is a seriously wealthy man, but we know too little about him yet to be certain of just how lavishly he will spend on eye-watering wages when he already has a new stadium to help pay for.

JS90043830.jpg

Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri (L) and chairman Bill Kenwright

But would Rooney be willing to agree on a compromise? Still a bumper wage packet, surely Everton's highest paid player, and definitely enough to mean his lifestyle isn't compromised for an instant?

It depends how much he would want to return to Goodison while still able to make an impact.

After all, what has he got left to achieve at United? The boy wonder has become a man at the Theatre of Dreams and; he's won everything there is to reach for at domestic level.

WAZZACUP.jpg

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney (left) and Michael Carrick (right) lift the FA Cup trophy on Saturday

But Everton can't offer him Champions League next season! That's OK, neither can United.

And does the 30-year-old really value playing the inordinate amount of fixtures that the Europa League entails?

That's not to cast aspersions on Rooney's appetite for the game. His superlative performance at Wembley on Saturday as United clinched the FA Cup, and wide-as-the-Mersey smile as he hoisted the famous old pot above his head underlined just how in love he remains with his profession.

JS69344077.jpg

Wayne Rooney, left, gets a warm welcome from chairman Bill Kenwright last summer

And it's romance which could be the clincher for Moshiri and Bill Kenwright, who seemed as close as ever to Rooney when they were reunited before Duncan Ferguson's testimonial last summer.

Whichever manager the pair opt for, he would count himself enormously lucky to have Rooney arriving after him.

With Gareth Barry 35 and nobody yet emerging as a viable successor for the veteran playmaker's specific role, Rooney has proved he can play there with delightful ease.

Let's face it, he can still play anywhere.

Rooney is clearly still an Evertonian . In a sense he meant what that t-shirt said.

image-1-for-wayne-rooney-s-everton-fc-career-in-pictures-gallery-775362502.jpg

Rooney displays that t-shirt

And maybe he feels he has unfinished business at the club he always dreamed of playing for as a kid nut-megging everyone on the De La Salle playground.

The narrative of Rooney's career has always combined elements of fairy-tale and gritty realism in equal measure.

If realism suggests his profile is too big for a club that finished 11th last term, then fairytale says otherwise.

It's time for Wayne to come home.

Just as an aside from the 'would you/wouldn't you?' conversation, IF he was to sign permanently in January what sort of fee do people think he might command?

It's a weird one, where his reputation clearly exceeds his abilities, but there's still no doubt that he'd be a massive signing.

I dont understand that at all, why would you sing a pla
the money we got from his sale allowed us to make signings and we finished 4th the season after he left!

It didn't, it was the following summer the money kicked in, he left us to rot. We finished fourth, a tremendous effort for all involved, he slammed the door in our faces just before.

Do you know if he had stayed that year and gotten fourth he would have left a legend.

Overall on strictly football terms, I wouldn't go near him now, he's dropped below a level of contribution and effectiveness that in a strictly business and footballing terms, not to mention economically he would be a poor poor signing.

Would far prefer a Marhez, Sigurddson, Mata, Berhami etc.

Would also have Barkley ahead of him NEA.

Massive no from me.

Not having read through the whole thread, I remember when The Echo published this over the summer and thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if we had been in discussions about a deal back then. The latest stuff about his future makes me believe this has been being discussed for six months or more

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-its-time-everton-11369723

Greg O'Keeffe on why Rooney's return would be a powerful statement of intent from Farhad Moshiri
  • Greg O'Keeffe on why Rooney's return would be a powerful statement of intent from Farhad Moshiri
JS69350636.jpg

Wayne Rooney was back in blue for Everton last pre-season - here's why they should make it permanent this summer
Everton and Farhad Moshiri are in the market for a statement this summer.

The Blues new majority investor's current priority is finding a world-class manager capable of taking the club forward.

It's that task which should be consuming all the time and energy of Goodison's movers and shakers.

But once the new man is in place, matters switch to statements of intent on the pitch - and the players who will form the first wave of the Moshiri revolution.

Cash, perhaps more than ever before, is going to be splashed .

There's one potential signing that would emphatically announce Everton's newly galvanised ambition.

WAZMUND.jpg

Rooney celebrates his wonder goal to help Everton beat Arsenal at Goodison in October 2002

Remember the name , Clive Tydesley once instructed the wider footballing world. There was no way they could forget it.

Wayne Rooney.

That's the name, should it be splashed over the back page of the ECHO and printed on thousands of royal blue shirts this summer, that will get pulses racing and chests beating.

Rooney's return while still in his pomp; arguably never better in his mature transition to central midfield, would grab the attention of the world.

If there was, in the end, a degree of wishful thinking about Everton being able to attract the Old Trafford-bound Jose Mourinho as their new manager, isn't the idea of taking Rooney in the opposite direction still a bit fanciful?

Not really. That spirit of ambition, the insistence that Everton are one of England's biggest clubs still, is nothing to be mocked.

CS86095456.jpg

Why shouldn't Everton aim for the best?

In the past, aside from lingering rancour after his departure back in 2004, the obvious obstacle to re-singing Rooney was financial.

How could the Toffees ever begin to compete with the England star's salary, believed to be around £260,000-per-week? There are not many clubs that could.

Whether Everton would be able to match it now is still unsure.

Moshiri is a seriously wealthy man, but we know too little about him yet to be certain of just how lavishly he will spend on eye-watering wages when he already has a new stadium to help pay for.

JS90043830.jpg

Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri (L) and chairman Bill Kenwright

But would Rooney be willing to agree on a compromise? Still a bumper wage packet, surely Everton's highest paid player, and definitely enough to mean his lifestyle isn't compromised for an instant?

It depends how much he would want to return to Goodison while still able to make an impact.

After all, what has he got left to achieve at United? The boy wonder has become a man at the Theatre of Dreams and; he's won everything there is to reach for at domestic level.

WAZZACUP.jpg

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney (left) and Michael Carrick (right) lift the FA Cup trophy on Saturday

But Everton can't offer him Champions League next season! That's OK, neither can United.

And does the 30-year-old really value playing the inordinate amount of fixtures that the Europa League entails?

That's not to cast aspersions on Rooney's appetite for the game. His superlative performance at Wembley on Saturday as United clinched the FA Cup, and wide-as-the-Mersey smile as he hoisted the famous old pot above his head underlined just how in love he remains with his profession.

JS69344077.jpg

Wayne Rooney, left, gets a warm welcome from chairman Bill Kenwright last summer

And it's romance which could be the clincher for Moshiri and Bill Kenwright, who seemed as close as ever to Rooney when they were reunited before Duncan Ferguson's testimonial last summer.

Whichever manager the pair opt for, he would count himself enormously lucky to have Rooney arriving after him.

With Gareth Barry 35 and nobody yet emerging as a viable successor for the veteran playmaker's specific role, Rooney has proved he can play there with delightful ease.

Let's face it, he can still play anywhere.

Rooney is clearly still an Evertonian . In a sense he meant what that t-shirt said.

image-1-for-wayne-rooney-s-everton-fc-career-in-pictures-gallery-775362502.jpg

Rooney displays that t-shirt

And maybe he feels he has unfinished business at the club he always dreamed of playing for as a kid nut-megging everyone on the De La Salle playground.

The narrative of Rooney's career has always combined elements of fairy-tale and gritty realism in equal measure.

If realism suggests his profile is too big for a club that finished 11th last term, then fairytale says otherwise.

It's time for Wayne to come home.

This situation reminds of those mega superstars of fame and fortune who are well past it but choose to stuff some extra pension money in the bank by playing to chumps who live on the dream of somthing that was well spent many years ago.

I wish everton fans would get up of there knees and look to the future.

its deffo on isnt it?

Deffo mate, 350 grand a week to 100 a week is a non starter + his £millions in image rights and endorsements + transfer fee..then he is going to wind back the years and find that speed he has lost and score lots of goals.

The Everton PR train has left the station which is timely when we actually need 3 or 4 players that were needed in the summer.

The Everton PR team must be laughing there socks off with the blags they pull before each transfer window.

This situation reminds of those mega superstars of fame and fortune who are well past it but choose to stuff some extra pension money in the bank by playing to chumps who live on the dream of somthing that was well spent many years ago.

I wish everton fans would get up of there knees and look to the future.

Ashley Williams is older than him and I have no issue at all with his signing because he's exactly what we need, even if it is only really fixing a problem in the short term

If Rooney does the same, fine

From a footballing sense, I don't really know if I agree or not, I am skeptical from an economic sense, but I don't think the "emotional" argument should be a factor one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back