Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no ill feeling towards Rooney whatsover. His head got turned, he left, and he went on to better things. Can't say I blame him. But have him back? Sorry but I find it a bit patronising.
If he wanted to come back, he should have done so earlier, not when he's at the end of his career and the media can pat plucky little Everton on the head and say the prodigal son returns.
For those who would have him back for sentimental reason...sentimentality and football don't mix, and doesn't work.

I agree with this part of your post, especially about him never being the same after he left us. Ferguson made him in to a more well rounded player and goal scorer and he obviously won everything there was to win, but he lost all the excitement that makes players like Messi, Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez the best players in the world.

I genuinely believe he had as much talent as them when he was 18 and as successful as he's been, can anyone seriously say he has ever been in the same bracket as them players since joining Man United?

He used to run at players without fear. He had that stripped away by Ferguson to become more of a team player but I don't care what anyone says, players with his ability shouldn't have that strength in their game toned down.

He could have been one of the best ever but ended up just being a great successful player like so many.
I remember the 2004 euro's. He literally terrorised opposing defences with his aggressive running, similar to Barkley a couple of seasons ago. Really thought we would have won that competition had he not been injured in the quarters.

If we really do have money to burn, I'd have him back just to have him

Play him as back up striker

Sod it, go 4-4-2 with him and Lukaku up front
It's a question of whether he is 'gone' as a footballer just 'gone' because he's lost his desire. If it's the former steer clear the latter then maybe a move to Everton could reignite him.

I think last summer was the one, next may be too late.

this is all hypothetical obviously but for Rooney's sake he needs to move to find motivation. He's won everything there is to win domestically with United and he'll never get another big contract unless he goes to China or somewhere like that which he's still far too good for so where does his motivation come from now. The only thing left to bring out the best in him again - and i genuinely mean this - is a move back to us and play for love for the badge/club. I'd offer him 2 Years, give him the number 9 shirt and let him lead us into a new era under Farhad.
tumblr_l5iagg1MF51qa4w2fo1_400.gif

It's a question of whether he is 'gone' as a footballer just 'gone' because he's lost his desire. If it's the former steer clear the latter then maybe a move to Everton could reignite him.

I think last summer was the one, next may be too late.

January?? I would, he will improve our team regardless of his decline and age. He is still a great footballer just not in the positions he has been playing in, get him back in that number 10 roll feeding Lukaku!!!

January?? I would, he will improve our team regardless of his decline and age. He is still a great footballer just not in the positions he has been playing in, get him back in that number 10 roll feeding Lukaku!!!
UTD started him there this season behind Ibrahimovic and that has resulted in him being dropped. Like I say I think it could be his hunger that needs reigniting not that he hasn't 'got it' anyomore.

He'd be comfortably in the top 2-3 players at the club. If he's free and the wages would be less then we'd need to sign a player his calibre (and profile, shirt sales etc) only gross mismanagement would be the reason he isn't in the Royal Blue

If we can all put emotions aside and consider him as a highly experienced player who may become available, and judge him on his CV, and IF (in the very unlikely event) he could be brought in on the same salary level as say Cleverly, then it would be worth a punt, only for the fact that he may still have something to offer over and above what we already have in the squad. The trouble is, there is a history here that most people will not forget, and there would be an expectation that in all likelihood, would not be met. To want him back just for sentimental reasons (his kids wear the shirt), is so very wrong! There are lots of boyhood Evertonian players out there, some of whom made it big, do we want them all to come "home"? We should be building a team of young "Rooneys" and not offering a home for retiring players. The past is done. Move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back