Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on this, he is done as a driving force but why can't he reinvent himself?

Because of the very nature of his early promise - the kid who had explosive pace over the first few yards - he is constantly been beaten with the stick of the natural ageing process.

I don't believe he can play up front. But he should be our number 1 player who sits behind the front man and looks to dictate - just like he did in that very game against Stoke.

It really doesn't help that DCL is the striker when Rooney isn't playing up top. And that's not to knock the lad but he just doesn't make enough channel runs, doesn't move the defenders about, doesn't hold the ball consistently well. All completely down I would imagine to the fact that he is a kid learning his trade.

With no pace around him, no target man, I just wonder what you (and others) are expecting of him at the age that he is.

And I also wonder my friend why, when he can't do those things, there is no consideration of the greater context.
I don't think he can reinvent himself. He is what he is. He's too indisciplined on the pitch, plays how and where he wants. That's part of what made him great, instinctive, natural ability with pace and strength to go with it. Can't coach that. But it's all along time ago. He's still all over the pitch now, not lacking in willingness, desire even, but the other qualities have declined massively. I'm no Rooney hater, but he shouldn't be getting anywhere near our first 11 on a regular basis. It's not his fault he's getting picked most weeks. But if we want to improve, challenge teams in the top 6, which of those other teams would he be playing for most weeks?

I don't think he can reinvent himself. He is what he is. He's too indisciplined on the pitch, plays how and where he wants. That's part of what made him great, instinctive, natural ability with pace and strength to go with it. Can't coach that. But it's all along time ago. He's still all over the pitch now, not lacking in willingness, desire even, but the other qualities have declined massively. I'm no Rooney hater, but he shouldn't be getting anywhere near our first 11 on a regular basis. It's not his fault he's getting picked most weeks. But if we want to improve, challenge teams in the top 6, which of those other teams would he be playing for most weeks?
I think you're wrong but time will tell.
All in good debate.

My last sentence on the post above yours...

And he should do better (pace wise) against Ligue 1's 6th placed, second string.

C'mon Wayne, earn twice the contract we offered Barkley.

If Wayne Rooney scores between 10-15 goals for Everton this season, I would consider this to be a satisfactory return on his comeback to this great club.

Anymore will be a bonus, any less than I would consider a failure so let's judge Wayne at the end of the season & get behind our team & support all of our players.

" Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution".

If Wayne Rooney scores between 10-15 goals for Everton this season, I would consider this to be a satisfactory return on his comeback to this great club.

Anymore will be a bonus, any less than I would consider a failure so let's judge Wayne at the end of the season & get behind our team & support all of our players.

" Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution".

Realists - my type of people - surround yourself with them ;)

Personally not overly arsed by his goal return - more the point difference/bigger picture.

My original point is I think he's counterproductive. We're all crying out for pace and balance, and he's a counter to that and disruptive to the final third. Him being a "blue" and "dead passionate though lad" doesn't work for me.

He shouldn't be an integral part/regular starter for any side that wants to compete at the top - we expect Rooney to start, which is a backwards step vs last season vs Lukaku/Barkley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back