2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep play him off Niasse. One thing i did notice today at the end of the game, Rooney, Basic and Beni all came back onto the pitch and congratulated the rest of the players. No sign of Siggurdson or Williams or Robles.
Well after the second goal he was pretty pumped up punching the air and all, so not sure that's a fair characterization.

But regardless, he's going to come good. He had moments again today, but had a few poor ones as well. But he is getting better. Just don't like who we are playing around him.

Perfectly acceptable squad member for a mid table club. That wasn’t the aim for this season though was it? He wouldn’t trouble the starting line ups if he was in any of the top 6 squads and yet he’s a consistent starter here. Hopefully his experience will be invaluable as we push forward to 11th place.

One thing I noticed with Rooney today, that period of stoppage when Gomes and the defender with getting treatment, Wayne was going to every single one of our players talking to them and showing leadership (bear in mind we were 1-0 down and would go 2-0 down minutes later) yet our so called Captain Jagielka was stood dormant as ever

This is what I like about Wayne. I really want it to work out with him, but I think that needs two things :-

Firstly, we need to be doing much better than we are, which will mean he won't feel the need to wander all over the pitch and he'll be able to influence the game where it matters.

Secondly, we need a manager who has the balls to bollock him for wandering out of position while searching for the ball and drag him off if he ignores the manager ( which might be partly why he was subbed today ).

One thing I noticed with Rooney today, that period of stoppage when Gomes and the defender with getting treatment, Wayne was going to every single one of our players talking to them and showing leadership (bear in mind we were 1-0 down and would go 2-0 down minutes later) yet our so called Captain Jagielka was stood dormant as ever
He should be our captain when he’s playing imo.

This is what I like about Wayne. I really want it to work out with him, but I think that needs two things :-

Firstly, we need to be doing much better than we are, which will mean he won't feel the need to wander all over the pitch and he'll be able to influence the game where it matters.

Secondly, we need a manager who has the balls to bollock him for wandering out of position while searching for the ball and drag him off if he ignores the manager ( which might be partly why he was subbed today ).

I think a big problem is that he just ignores the manager, reagardless of his instructions.

Despite all the missed place passes and blowing his lungs out every game, he still remains one of our most important players.

I think a big problem is that he just ignores the manager, reagardless of his instructions.

Which is why his days in top flight football are numbered. If a manager has options in his squad, a player has to be truly exceptional to get away with ignoring instructions.

.. he still remains one of our most important players.

Aye, he does, sadly this says more about our predicament than it does about Wayne's place in today's world of sport.

Well after the second goal he was pretty pumped up punching the air and all, so not sure that's a fair characterization.

But regardless, he's going to come good. He had moments again today, but had a few poor ones as well. But he is getting better. Just don't like who we are playing around him.
Yeah one thing doing it when you're on the pitch another when you're not. Just noticed it at the end of the game and seemed to give an indication of team spirit. Don't think he's getting better and think we've made a big mistake signing him for that money.

Should have a football simulator set up to test future managers. First manager who realises we play better without Rooney in the side gets the job. Seriously how could Koeman and now Unsworth not see what the vast majority of fans now do.?
He's finished and he's been finished for over 2 years.

Yep play him off Niasse. One thing i did notice today at the end of the game, Rooney, Basic and Beni all came back onto the pitch and congratulated the rest of the players. No sign of Siggurdson or Williams or Robles.

409FE7B6-6FEE-46A5-A464-9AD4B2CEAA69.webp

The whole point of signing him was to have an impact, on the field and off it.

It's hard to be an impact player if Koeman signs a heap of rubbish and no striker and it's thrust upon him to try and carry the team despite every man and his dog knowing he's not the player he was 10 years ago.

The abuse hurled on Wayne is a shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back