Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what this free-loading has-been offers to the team?

Vehemently against him coming back and the sheer folly has now been exposed.

He couldn't play striker any more for the Mancs, so they tried him in midfield - and it failed.

So they dropped him.

Then along come soft arse Everton with their money-laden sentimental bandwagon and offer to take him off their wage bill - and break their own salary structure to pay him a staggering £150,000 per week.

£150,000 PER WEEK.

And what do we get for that?

A front line goal threat. Nope.

A foil up front for Tosun. Er, no.

A latter day Pirlo, Zidane or Zola. That'll be a no too.

Someone whose experience, leadership, winning mentality and influence catalyses the whole team. Not seen any of that.

No: what we got was a player who has been past his best for two years. The Rooney the Mancs were amazed someone wanted to get off their hands. A washed-up facsimile of the most exciting footballer we have produced for a generation.

And now, because he has failed in every position we have played him in, in this disastrous season, we're trying one final re-invention as a deep lying midfielder who sits in front of the back four. I'll say that again... Wayne Rooney in front of the back four. Double you, tea, eff!

We bought him because he is Wayne Rooney. We play him because he is Wayne Rooney. There is no other footballing reason whatsoever.

I'd wager no other team in the so-called Premiership would even consider him.

He is the epitome of why we have swapped ambition and aspiration for mediocrity. A meaningless PR gesture that is fooling no-one.

A disgrace yesterday when he offered absolutely NOTHING. An embarrassing physical metaphor for this one great club of ours.

Like Schneiderlin and Williams, he should never play for Everton again.

And the worst part is whenever he puts in an average performance that's lauded as an excellent performance because it's Wayne Rooney. We are our own worst enemy.

Half of our fans would have him starting 80% of the games next season and they will still wonder why we are awful.
lol

I don't "wonder" about why we are awful mate. I have eyes.

We're awful for a variety of reasons. If you think Rooney is one of them, that's your issue.

That doesn't have to be the case though does it? Loads of top players were playing regularly at that level at 17, they can still move from A to B at the age of 32.

Playing footy at 17 isn't the same as being a fully developed man at 16 mate. Remeber Walter smith watching a reserve game and when he was there Rooney scored from the half way line ... Walter smith said I want him in the squad.. Colin Harvey said " you cantbhes only 14.

Anyone in the world could see a midfield of he and Snides would never work against City, except Sam that is. He’s been ok this season. I’m more concerned with what he might be offering off the pitch going forward though.

He doesn’t have the pace to play in a game like yesterday, he wants too long on the ball and gets hassled off it by far quicker players.

However, he has played some cracking games at Goodison this season in the slower paced games.

If he’s allowed a bit of time, he can be our most creative player by a mile and he can really dictate play.

He’s not a player for every game but he can still serve a purpose in 70% of our games.

Good job @Elong is banned or you would have got “he’s a bigger blue than you” reply.

You’re correct of course. Rooney has been finished for around 3 years now.
lol

The only positive is that I'm getting to watch him tarnish his legacy and see out his career in complete ignominy.

He doesn’t have the pace to play in a game like yesterday, he wants too long on the ball and gets hassled off it by far quicker players.

However, he has played some cracking games at Goodison this season in the slower paced games.

If he’s allowed a bit of time, he can be our most creative player by a mile and he can really dictate play.

He’s not a player for every game but he can still serve a purpose in 70% of our games.
30%

No way. He’s a passenger. Rooney is just a memory now, we don’t have that explosive player Utd bought. We have an old, overweight, slow striker playing in midfield.

I've seen him be one of the best players on the pitch at Goodison plenty of times this season. I know that is feint praise, but nonetheless. I've also seen him be one of the worst on several occasions (including yesterday).

There is a type of game which is right for him, the fast paced ones are certainly not right for him, but he can still be very good in the slower games or the games where we have more possession.

Can anyone tell me what this free-loading has-been offers to the team?

Vehemently against him coming back and the sheer folly has now been exposed.

He couldn't play striker any more for the Mancs, so they tried him in midfield - and it failed.

So they dropped him.

Then along come soft arse Everton with their money-laden sentimental bandwagon and offer to take him off their wage bill - and break their own salary structure to pay him a staggering £150,000 per week.

£150,000 PER WEEK.

And what do we get for that?

A front line goal threat. Nope.

A foil up front for Tosun. Er, no.

A latter day Pirlo, Zidane or Zola. That'll be a no too.

Someone whose experience, leadership, winning mentality and influence catalyses the whole team. Not seen any of that.

No: what we got was a player who has been past his best for two years. The Rooney the Mancs were amazed someone wanted to get off their hands. A washed-up facsimile of the most exciting footballer we have produced for a generation.

And now, because he has failed in every position we have played him in, in this disastrous season, we're trying one final re-invention as a deep lying midfielder who sits in front of the back four. I'll say that again... Wayne Rooney in front of the back four. Double you, tea, eff!

We bought him because he is Wayne Rooney. We play him because he is Wayne Rooney. There is no other footballing reason whatsoever.

I'd wager no other team in the so-called Premiership would even consider him.

He is the epitome of why we have swapped ambition and aspiration for mediocrity. A meaningless PR gesture that is fooling no-one.

A disgrace yesterday when he offered absolutely NOTHING. An embarrassing physical metaphor for this one great club of ours.

Like Schneiderlin and Williams, he should never play for Everton again.
Let this comment make it be known that I am standing and giving you a huge standing ovation for that post mate. Nail on da muvva puckin' head.

Anyone in the world could see a midfield of he and Snides would never work against City, except Sam that is. He’s been ok this season. I’m more concerned with what he might be offering off the pitch going forward though.
Rooney still has a lot to offer in a midfield 2 in games when we expect to have plenty of ball. That format yesterday (and even line up though I'd prefer an alternative to Schneiderlin) would have been acceptable in 5 of our remaining 7 fixtures. But not City. Even in our wildest dreams we are never going to dominate possession against this City side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back