Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. If Davies & Bene had been on from the start, Citeh wouldn't have had the open door through our midfield, and we might just have posed a greater threat when we had the ball going forward. Sadly, Rooney is now well past his best, and was quite anonymous yesterday - the game passed him by...

There are a few players in the team that I would class as luxury players (not quite 7* Dubai luxury, more like an Austin Rover vanden plas model but still); Rooney, DCL, Bolasie and prob even Theo are in this category (Not even going to categorise Morgs as he has his own sub level all to himself at the moment).

So Rooney could have been played in the DCL role due to his high strike rate against city. Bolasie shouldn't have even been on the bench and all the rest of the team should have been set up to chase the ball and defend well. You can play 3/4 of those players together but you have to be sure we will see more of the ball than not and certainly not against a team like City. My only explanation is Allardyce wants out and he is just making sure of it by making crazy decisions.

Rooney should be good to play against the lesser teams and if he must start a game like Saturday or the next game then put him in a part of the field that is not integral to surviving the onslaught that we inevitably get when facing the bigger sides.

Just read this on twitter:

David silva and Wayne Rooney are both 32. Today David silva controlled the game and played like he’s 18years old whilst Rooney looked like a 40yr old scaffolder playing in the dockyard league Sunday morning after 10 pints and a gram of shovel.

David silva and Wayne Rooney are both 32. Today David silva controlled the game and played like he’s 18years old whilst Rooney looked like a 40yr old scaffolder playing in the dockyard league Sunday morning after 10 pints and a gram of shovel.
Wayne's got more hair than Silva.

It's not his like, but he's got more.

This train of thought and acceptance of a mediocre player is exactly why we’re in the position we’re in.

A one-word label such as "mediocre" isn't a good way to think about a player.

Players are best thought of as tools, with different uses and varying capabilities of carrying out different tasks. All the points count equally, so even if Rooney is feasting on weak opposition he's still a fairly solid piece of business if you compare what you're getting in terms of point return against what he costs.

It would be best if he did not see the pitch against the stronger teams, though that can be a hard sell when you're dealing with a big name player on a high wage. Less sophisticated fans may have bought a ticket expressly to see him in action, and try telling a businessman that doesn't have a deep understanding of the game why his most expensive asset (by wages) is riding pine against the better sides.

I can see where you're coming from, in that Rooney is limiting the side's ability to compete against the sides that must be beaten in order to get into the upper reaches of the table. However, with all of the other problems on that front I'm inclined to say that, at least right now, Rooney is more a part of the solution than part of the problem.

Silva is surrounded by world class players. Rooney isn't.

Rooney was playing for Allardyce’s Everton. Silva was playing for Guardiola’s City.

Stupid comparison.

Rooney was playing for Mourinho's United and they waived the fee because he was so bad, what's your point?

Would Man City waive the fee for Silva?

I’m sure they will waive a fee if he’s not in the side and wants to return home to play football. They’ll reward his loyalty as Man Utd did for their record goal scorer.

Comparing any of our players against Ciry’s is stupid as their whole club is on another level. What about comparing Sane or Jesus with Davis and DCL??

Seems like some people just can’t wait to find a scapegoat and Rooney’s poor performance against City is enough. You weren’t slating him when he scored at the Etihad were you? Or what about the other 9 league goals he’s scored to win us points this season?

I’m not a Rooney fan by any stretch but the comments in this thread are embarrassing. I often agree with you posts but you’re sounding like an absolute clown in this thread.

People need to concentrate on the real issues at this club - the board, DOF and management. Our top goal scorer really isn’t causing me too much concern at present.

Hopefully he crashes his Lamborghini into his garden wall while boozed up real soon, right in front of a pack of media fellows, so we have a reason to rip up his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back