Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regrettably, I do seriously question how much of a positive impact he will be having on some of the younger members of our squad.

Undoubtedly, he will be able to offer his wealth of experience at the highest levels of the domestic, European and international stage.

However, he's far away from being a consummate professional and his behaviour has been repeatedly questionable - and it continues to be so!

..he has his demons, no doubt about that but there’s also no doubt he still has a hunger for football. Apparently, first in and last off the training pitch every day. Notice how managers seek his counsel. I agree he’s not the perfect role model off the pitch but I think he’s worth listening to when it comes to the game.

Just read this on twitter:

David silva and Wayne Rooney are both 32. Today David silva controlled the game and played like he’s 18years old whilst Rooney looked like a 40yr old scaffolder playing in the dockyard league Sunday morning after 10 pints and a gram of shovel.

What was Silva doing at 16? Would he have been capable of playing at the highest level at 15 years of age? No doubt Silva is a class act but Wayne just peaked earlier than Silva, he doesn't look after himself as well, granted, but also an unfair comparison on Rooney.

..he has his demons, no doubt about that but there’s also no doubt he still has a hunger for football. Apparently, first in and last off the training pitch every day. Notice how managers seek his counsel. I agree he’s not the perfect role model off the pitch but I think he’s worth listening to when it comes to the game.
There's no doubt that his experience is a huge asset and as such I can understand why managers would feel the need to involve him.

Therefore Eggs I understand and respect your point of view, however I do have to disagree with the above based on what I personally do know.

Without going into specifics (I'd be happy to discuss details in private with you), his attitude to the game in its entirety is somewhat questionable.

He repetadly hasn't looked after his body over the years and continues not to do so and as such I'd argue he has become complacent.

I said it before he came, the deal to bring Wayne back to Everton was far more beneficial to him than it was for us - yet he has contributed I'll admit.

Our aim at the start of the season was Top 6. Signing players like Rooney is why we failed miserably.

Quite. I said at the time, I can see the benefits if it's just a way to reintegrate Rooney into the club – which I think it will be, probably as a coach – but the fact he was a marquee signing as part of a deal that took our best player in the opposite direction, well, that was an absolute joke, and the first major warning sign that the people at the top didn't have a clue what they were doing.

What was Silva doing at 16? Would he have been capable of playing at the highest level at 15 years of age? No doubt Silva is a class act but Wayne just peaked earlier than Silva, he doesn't look after himself as well, granted, but also an unfair comparison on Rooney.

Thing often said about Rooney is he's got a lot of games in his legs for his age etc, Silva has basically played at the same age roughly the same number of games.

He broke through at 18, so games are a bit more compressed even for him in compariasion.

So then comes the one factor they differ in, one leads his life as a consummate professional, the other drinks, smokes and stays out till 3am during a season.

Catches up with any athlete eventually does age, catches up with athletes who don't live as such a lot earlier though.

Why can't we either ask him to go to USA for 2 years do his coaching badges and come back as a coach, or just become a player coach now under the new manager.

If David Silva was in the Everton team managed by Sam Allyrdyce I wonder if he would still control the game.

Conversely, I can imagine a team like City using the know how , skill and brains of Rooney to great effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back