Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always believed Rooney was better suited to a deeper role, even in midfield. He has vision and a range of passing beyond many. I still believe that's where we will end up playing him.......

Not to say he won't kick on from here, but did he display any of this passing range in any of the games he's played so far? Just kept giving the ball away.

I actually think, Rooney's football brain is a little quicker than some of our attacking players. He makes moves and passes that with better strikers would likely come off. It will just take time to gel.

I have no doubt that Rooney will do well for us.
If he had a real good striker, like finished article but we haven't, we still badly need another striker

Writing the guy off before the season has started? Honestly, I worry for some blues.

Rooney will have a good season with many instances on show of his younger days. People just need to relax.

You say writing him off, I and I'm sure other posters would say you can make an informed opinion on his potential for us based on previous seasons. And recent evidence is not in his favour. Is there any difference between people writing him off and you saying he will have a good season? Perhaps both are just opinions and neither is correct at this moment in time. As you say the season hasn't started yet so how can some blues predict what will happen? But then according to you he'll have a good season. I'm curious as to what you're basing that on. It's the blues such as yourself I worry for.

Last edited:

@Deckard2049
Let's just say for arguments sake that I'm basing my stance on a theory. I'm weighing up ALL the variables and have come to the conclusion that Rooney is not finished. To state he is finished without giving him a chance is somewhat narrow minded in my humble opinion.
If after 8 weeks of regular football, and the team finds some shape; if by then there is no upturn in his performances, then I will accept other people's claims.
At the moment though, no player in that team is playing well. Resigning Rooney to the bin is in my opinion, premature. That was the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
I can see him raising his game against the 'top six' this season. When was the last time we had a big game player? Cahill, Kanchelskis, Ferguson are the only ones I can think of.

It will hopefully make the other players work harder too, il admit he's been a bit turd in pre season but he's scored 2 and we haven't been beaten yet so it's not as bad a lids are making out :Blink:

He'll have a lot of groan problems if he goes a few games without scoring at Goodison...
Hahaha your right. Im trying to remain optimistic. More along the footballing brain he has. Body may be shot but hey we arent all spring chickens i cant sprint up a rugby pitch anymore in seconds but can still pick out a wide pass and find the gaps

Season M G A Min
2016/17 28 5 5 2770
2015/16 28 8 6 2771
2014/15 33 12 5 3267
2013/14 29 17 9 2877
2012/13 28 12 10 2991
2011/12 37 27 7 3464

Premier League stats for matches played, goals, assists and total minutes for last 6 seasons.

All bias aside he will do some fantastic things this season for us, he will also have some games where he may as well not be there.

His ball retention for a player of his ability/experience is shocking. I'm hoping he settles down a bit after the first few games as I feel he is trying to do far too many hollywood things right now.

All opinion of course but I think Wayne and a coupe of others are just on a different football wavelength to the previous squad.
Wayne is used to having very good players around him. Harsh, but true.

It will come lads. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back