Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
expectations were so high it's no surprise it was an underwhelming debut but he linked up with Klaasan well and Sandro offered him more when on. DCL and Kev weren't on his wavelength at times and it appeared like he was looking for them to make clever runs and it wasn't happening. That understanding will develop.

We surely need about ten competitive matches before we can judge him.

I could find hours and hours of footage where Lukaku did absolutely nothing yet he was our best striker since I was a baby.

If that is Rooney not fully fit (as the rest of the squad were also not fully fit surely we should afford him the same courtesy?), with a lack of match sharpness, the first time he's actually played competitively with most of his team mates most of whom he only even met about two weeks ago, a lot of whom have only met each other this month and he still showed signs of slick link up play and a huge desire to win I'm alright with that as a start.

Once he's match fit and has scored his first goal back he'll settle and once he's not the focal point of the attack and has Sandro and Klaasen making boss runs all over the place he'll be boss.

One thing that has been consistent throughout his career is that he needs games to get upto speed, even when he was 18. Being used sparingly last season wouldn't have helped him. So I'm clinging to the hope that was partly to blame for his average performance last night.

Some serious straw clutching going on in here.

The weird thing is, I remember how blues were saying how bad his last few seasons at Utd were yet here we are, trying to shoehorn him into a promising side.

It stinks of sentimentality.

His first touch is so good. Him Sandro and klaassen could cause teams problems with their quick thinking and movement
Agree with the importance of these 3, but we won't be able to rely on slick one twos around the edge of the box all season. It'll be a bit narrow and we'll become very easy to defend against.

Agree with the importance of these 3, but we won't be able to rely on slick one twos around the edge of the box all season. It'll be a bit narrow and we'll become very easy to defend against.

Absolutely. But it's another string to our attacking bow which which I don't really remember us having since arteta/pienaar/Baines etc in their pomp

Faded throughout the second half....

As mentioned previously, he would be a good rotation player.

Get a target man with sandro and mirallas/lookman playing on the wings

Some serious straw clutching going on in here.

The weird thing is, I remember how blues were saying how bad his last few seasons at Utd were yet here we are, trying to shoehorn him into a promising side.

It stinks of sentimentality.
Absolutely, he's gone at the game and has been for a couple of seasons. if Koeman is as hard as we all think he is, Rooney will be out of the side by November particularly if a new striker is signed, but maybe even without that.

No real surprises last night , talented but slow. Hopefully won't be tasked with leading the line again this season. Looks far better supporting the excellent Ramirez. Needs to seriously raise his fitness levels in the coming weeks (if he can) or his career could well peter out this season.

A decent attack would have hit 5 or 6 last night.
As a consequence, they have a chance of going through.

Still can't see us going out to them. It'd be the worst result in our history if we did, maybe second only to Shrewsbury. Fancy we'll score over there and then they need 3, which they haven't got in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back